• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

B12 and folate shortage and feeling dizzy

Porpo

Have been having light headed/dizzy spells maybe once or twice a day for about a month.

Last week my GP called me to say my blood tests have come back showing me being short of B12 and folate. Could the two things be related? My GP doesn't know how to treat me and has written to Mr Ammori for advice.

Anyone got any ideas?

xx

Have been having light headed/dizzy spells maybe once or twice a day for about a month.

Last week my GP called me to say my blood tests have come back showing me being short of B12 and folate. Could the two things be related? My GP doesn't know how to treat me and has written to Mr Ammori for advice.

Anyone got any ideas?

xx

Your team should have put you on multivits and minerals and written to your GP saying what you would need repeat prescriptions of. Perhaps ask the bariatric team's secretary to get your surgeon to fax over to your GP the multivit and mineral supplements that should be prescribed on a lifelong basis, and your surgeon will also want to see a copy of your recent blood test to sort out any initial issues regarding the results. You will soon feel better once it is sorted.

I get anaemic really easily and the symptoms start as dizziness, light-headedness, starting to lose my balance and then breathlessness if it gets bad.

You probably need folic acid tablets and B12 injections.

I have my B12 jab 3 monthly and can tell when it is due.

I think its possible the two could be related Porpo. Ive been light headed/dizzy every time I stand up for many months now. I think it started around 5/6 months post op. My B12 was normal though last time I had it read at the GP's, but Im so tired all the time. Im at the hospital this Friday so will be interested to see what the results show.

As i've said in a previous thread, my gp told a fellow wls patient she was to have a B12 top up every 3 months even if her body doesn't show a deficiency as it's hard to build back up again when supplies get depleted. I'll be asking for mine in 7 weeks :)

Your GP doesn't know how to treat you???

What kind of GP is that?

Increase your B12 intake by eating liver (best source) beef/mutton chicken pork/ham fish whole egg milk cheese and yogurt until he gets you sorted onto B12 injections.

Get yourself some folic acid tablets from the chemist and search for foods high in folic acid on google too, and steam your veg and eat it al dente (cooking it to death kills the folic acid).

Rx

Thanks guys. I am on a prescription multi-vit (Forceval). I'll contact my barriatric nurse tomorrow and see what she says, waiting for the GP to write to the consultant for them to write back and the GP to get round to talking to me could take some time.

Sam - do you get dizzy when you bend over too? I get it when I stand up or pick something up off the floor and the last couple of days I've had dizzyness randomly when stood up too - had a really bad do in Sainsburies yesterday.

x

Hope you dont mind me asking on your thread Propo but it is relevant.

Are some of you saying that your doctors prescribe your multimin tabs after surgery.

Porpo, yes, I get dizzy if I bend over, if I stand up too quickly, when I get up in the morning (thats when its at its worst and ive almost fallen over a couple of times) and also when I get out of a nice warm bath.

I know its not normal, but Ive kind of got used to it over the last few months. I did mention it to the GP, and he suspected B12, but when the levels came back normal he said that it was probably something that would eventually sort itself out. I will mention it again when I see him to discuss plastics.

Must be something in the air! I've been going dizzy for the last week, especially when I get up or turn around too quickly. Had my regular B12 jab last week so not sure what's causing this. Life is very stressful at work just now and not sleeping well so maybe that has something to do with it. I will see GP if this keeps up much longer though, it's not a very pleasant feeling. Definitely can't just jump up out of bed these days.

Porpo, yes, I get dizzy if I bend over, if I stand up too quickly, when I get up in the morning (thats when its at its worst and ive almost fallen over a couple of times) and also when I get out of a nice warm bath.

I know its not normal, but Ive kind of got used to it over the last few months. I did mention it to the GP, and he suspected B12, but when the levels came back normal he said that it was probably something that would eventually sort itself out. I will mention it again when I see him to discuss plastics.

Postural Hypotension can cause dizziness on rising too, not just B12 deficiency. It's basically when your blood pressure drops suddenly on rising.

I used to get this occassionally when I was big but it happens ALL THE TIME now, the number of times I have almost hit the deck when I stand up. It's especially bad when I get out of the bath.

It's worse if you are dehydrated, so make sure you drink plenty and take enough salt in your diet.

Try getting some flight stockings, or if you have the compression stockings still from when you had your surgery try wearing those, you'd be amazed what a difference they make.

Taking nurse hat off now. Hope you feel better soon

Rx

I should have said that the doc did check my BP as the first obvious cause, but that was OK. I do drink lots each day, but could be short on salt I suppose.

Will see if I can get some compression stockings. Im willing to try anything.

Thanks peeps, have emailed Kath Rothwell to ask her advice. Its been over a week since the GP wrote to Spire to find out how to treat me and they say this morning they've had no reply. Will see what Kath says to do next.

I've been having dizzy spells for months now. they usually happen if I get up and start walking without taking a second or so to sort myself out. My GP told me to stop my BP tabs & I've not had an episode since.

Back