• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Back to normality - I had fish and chips tonight

ladylite

No dont panic:eek:, the family had them and instead of sitting in a corner eating yoghurt or humus, I had a quarter of ones fish and about 5 large chips.

Not something I will do everyday but it was so nice to feel sort of normal. The family still cant get used to me saying no thanks I have had enough, but I just simply love those words now, I feel in so much control.:rolleyes:

We didnt waste any cause my MIL is here and she had the other 3/4's. Great aint it I am sure I am gonna get my money back within 2 years.:cool::cool:

I bet you enjoyed it more than pre op too Mary! I know I do when I just have a tiny portion compared to what I could of eaten before x

So long as you didn't eat the batter Mary :)

I personally prefer chips sprayed with fry light n done in the oven....

It's great when you're full isn't it? The other day i had a bit of chicken, bit of mash and a good couple of tablespoons of sweetcorn, the corn made my side plate look almost full. My 11 yr old said '' you've got a lot mom''! As if, but yes i was full when i finished. My daughter is still laughing when i eat, she always says ''are you stuffed now mom''? She thinks it's amazing lol x

I thought fatty stuff like fish n chips made you dump? and that sweetcorn was a no-no because it blocks the bypass?
are these all myths, or s everyone's experience different?
I'm trying to get my head round all this. From the information I've been given, I thought foods like this were gone for ever after a bypass.

I think it is a bit trial and error, the quantity I ate was very very small.

We are suppoed to eat a balanced diet and that should include some fat but not lots, like before.

Hope that helps. It is difficult I know as I have seen many on here eat crisps, they day I ate some well, you just dont want to know, so I assume it is because we are all different.

if were having fish and chips i ask for a heavily battered fish and then remove all the batter as the fat doesnt penitrate to the fish and have a portion of peas with it.. the only chips i will eat are the ones i do in my actifry!

if it's fish & chip night, i always have a fish cake and a couple of hubbys chips, i also go to mcdonalds and have a mini wrap, i throw the wrap away and just eat the chicken and salad.

Last edited:
I enjoy fish but am lucky i don't like the batter so i will follow hopelesscase's advice and ask for it heavily battered! During one of my many stints at slimming club we were told we could have fish from the chip shop but not to eat the batter as it absorbs all the fat.

I like my fish cooked without the batter but knowing how much fat there will be in it i won't be having that for a very very long time, if ever! And yes Carole, you have to have mushy peas, otherwise it's just oh so wrong lol.

Wish i had an actifry i've heard they are fab! Far too expensive for me to invest, my girls are more than happy to get oven chips luckily :) xx

Back