• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

pain or gain?

cherylxx

hi everyone,
i have a serious dilemma.
i have had arthritic pain in joints for a few years now and last year i had an episode from hell when my already unstable knees gave on me and i had my legs bound to stop my knees bending for 2 weeks until the swelling went down and pain eased ( apparantly my knees come out of their track and grind painfully)
over the last 6 weeks or so i have noticed my knees becoming increasingly painful until yesterday when 3 times my left knee gave way altogether causing me to stumble painfully.
there is a red hot pain in the centre of my left knee at all times and both knees are very painful on walking , climbing stairs etc.
so im off to the doctors tomorrow and am considering asking for a wheelchair to help me around the house.
my hubby works nights so between the hours of 1pm (when he is sleeping) and 7am (when he comes home from nightshift) i am self sufficient which is causing problems at the moment.
the dilemma i face is that although i am moving about very little at the moment, i am forced to move ( making meals, brewing up, toilet trips etc) a few times , albeit very painfully. i worry that if i do get a wheelchair i will end up gaining more weight.
i am totally confused with the thought of possible weight gain and the thought of being more mobile.:(

Cheryl, if you are getting serious pain in your knees that is stopping you from functioning normally then you should really consider going to the doctor about it. I understand you not wanting to go in a wheelchair because you are worried about putting more weight on. But, are you doing more damage by forcing yourself through the pain and continuing walking on your bad knee's. Pain is a reminder that something is wrong with your body and you should really listen to it.

Only you and your doctor can decide what is the best course of action with regards to using a wheelchair. S/he may decide you need it, or they could recommend you don't - only they know your condition fully and will be able to advise you appropriately.

I'm not too sure where you are in the process of getting surgery but if you are in a wheelchair because of the pain your weight is causing on your knees then it may also help your WLS funding.

I hope your knees are feeling better!

xxx

do you use crutches or a frame? i was on crutches for 6mnths as i have a totally buggered achellies tendon you need to get the weight off your joints and these can help keep you mobile while helping the joints but if you go into a wheelchair they may cease up, making returning to walking even worse, see your gp and a physio they will know whats best and what exersises you need to do to strengthen your muscles so they support the joints better and for exersise swim you will be told to get your weight down as it makes a difference and swimming is totally weightbearing free so works wonders also you can get some great exersises for doing sat down just to keep the calories coming off.
keep us posted i hope you get sorted big hugs x

Back