• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

BAD WIND after a bypass?

Isha xxxx

Hi All
I know this is may sound like a very silly thing to want to know! but.. im a very social person and hope that after i have either the bypass or the band this will not changed! however as i make my mind up im hearing lots of stories! and 1 person said to me what ever you do dont have the bypass and you will suffer with VERY BAD wind which will stop you from doing alot and is really embrassing!!

now is this true?
will we all suffer from it?
and is there a cure ?

i guess thats what we are here for questions and anwsers lol and of course support xx :)

Not true in my case. Apart from the initial trapped wind after the operation itself I haven't noticed anything "untowards". Mind you, I am only two weeks out from the op. I am sure other more experienced by-passers will be able to help further.

By the way don't let anyone put you off having the op unless they really know what they are talking about. I was sitting beside my bed in the hospital and a huge lady brought me my ramikin of soup and asked me if I wanted some tea with it. I explained that I had a bypass and couldn't eat and drink at the same time. Whereupon she proceeded to tell me that she had been told that people with a bypass never ever could go out in public to eat ever again and could only eat soup for the rest of their lives etc. I just let it pass and didn't mention that my sister had a bypass three years ago and regularly goes out for meals etc and she loves a huge variety of foods - ok only in small quantites but that suits her fine :D

i suffer from wind too ..............mines like i have air in the radiator pipes at times some days are worse than others :eek:

just go with the (air) flow :D:D:D:D:D

once you start on the mushy /pureed stage you'll find foods that like you and those which don't ;)

aww thank you Josie girl i know its crazy that people try to put u off and it seems to be larger ppl in my case!! but iam trying to make my mind up and its sooooo hard.
i was set on a band and then when i went to see the surgeon he said a bypass would be better for me! i noticed you had both? do you mind me asking why?

and thank you Joffy i love the comment go with the flow loool x good luck with your journey x
and hope to start mine very soon x

aww thank you Josie girl i know its crazy that people try to put u off and it seems to be larger ppl in my case!! but iam trying to make my mind up and its sooooo hard.
i was set on a band and then when i went to see the surgeon he said a bypass would be better for me! i noticed you had both? do you mind me asking why?

and thank you Joffy i love the comment go with the flow loool x good luck with your journey x

Isha, i think that the fat friends dont want you to be thinner than them, and the thin ones dont want the competition. I think that thin ones like to have a fat friend so that they look better, ignore them all, you have to do what you feel is right, good luck on your decision making :) x

All our bodies are a bit diff. Some can handle certain foods - where others may not. However, there are certain foods which are more of a "sure to wind you " type.

Granola
Pastas
High fat/sugar
Breads
Dairy products

At this point (over four years out) I can pretty much ensure a wind-free day when I work it right

Don't mind at all. Actually I am glad you asked as it is appropriate for your own situation :) At the time I went to see my consultant for the Gastric Band he told me that he thought that the bypass would be much better for me because of my diabetes and, most of all, because of my eating habits. He was right but I was stubborn and had made my mind up that I would go with the cheaper option and have the band as I was sure I would succeed with it.

It turned out that he was right and I was wrong. It didn't take me long to discover that chocolate bars, cake, crisps and all my other favourite foods would slide straight through the band and I would eat them telling myself that I would be good tomorrow etc etc etc.

I find this extremely embarrassing to say but think that I should if it would serve as a warning to other people who are as weak willed as I am :break_diet:

If I had paid the extra 2K for the bypass two years ago I would have been at goal weight by now. As with this bypass I am physically and mentally unable to go near a piece of chocolate or anything sweet or greasy as I am too scared of dumping.

Come to think of it I am already saving a fortune on my food. Today I pureed a Weight Watchers Shepherds Pie and divided it into three mini meal pots of 100ml each and am sitting here wondering how much exactly that is per meal if the pack cost me £1. Think it works out at around 33p :D

Take no notice and wait and see.No one knows how your plumbing will react to different foods.
I am 7 months out and eat everything I did before except for pasta.and when I say everything, I mean everything!Just smaller portions,Im satisfied with much smaller amounts so dont miss a thing.As for wind I dont fart any more or less than before!Enjoy your new life its fab!Maz x

I can only describe my farts as dad farts but I've found a good disguise, I go to the toilet and flush it so I cam fart xos I know it's going to be loud. As for farting in front of my friends just tell them it's better out than in.
Small price to pay fir a slimmer future

Not true in my case. Apart from the initial trapped wind after the operation itself I haven't noticed anything "untowards". Mind you, I am only two weeks out from the op. I am sure other more experienced by-passers will be able to help further.

By the way don't let anyone put you off having the op unless they really know what they are talking about. I was sitting beside my bed in the hospital and a huge lady brought me my ramikin of soup and asked me if I wanted some tea with it. I explained that I had a bypass and couldn't eat and drink at the same time. Whereupon she proceeded to tell me that she had been told that people with a bypass never ever could go out in public to eat ever again and could only eat soup for the rest of their lives etc. I just let it pass and didn't mention that my sister had a bypass three years ago and regularly goes out for meals etc and she loves a huge variety of foods - ok only in small quantites but that suits her fine :D

Misinformation is a wonderful thing ... so many people knowing sod all about so many things, grrrr xx :(

I can only describe my farts as dad farts but I've found a good disguise, I go to the toilet and flush it so I cam fart xos I know it's going to be loud. As for farting in front of my friends just tell them it's better out than in.
Small price to pay fir a slimmer future

Gawd Happy ... your husband deserves a medal ... something else to look forward to :(:( May have to invest in some sound proof knickers xx :D

Lol you lot :eek:).

I sometimes do a tiny little burp. Not a proper burp at all.
I am 9 weeks post op and have farted once. I know it's once as it was such a momentous occasion. You don't realise how much you trump till you trump no more! I was so pleased that I announced it to the family. Couldn't understand why they weren't as delighted as I was .....
My tummy does make gurgling sounds though, but I find them comforting as I know something's actually happening in there.
I only poo once a week at the moment too. This is sad.

Lol you lot :eek:).

I sometimes do a tiny little burp. Not a proper burp at all.
I am 9 weeks post op and have farted once. I know it's once as it was such a momentous occasion. You don't realise how much you trump till you trump no more! I was so pleased that I announced it to the family. Couldn't understand why they weren't as delighted as I was .....
My tummy does make gurgling sounds though, but I find them comforting as I know something's actually happening in there.
I only poo once a week at the moment too. This is sad.

Weellll, you started so genteelly with you ladylike tiny little burp, but soon got to the nitty gritty. Hope all who read these soul baring posts appreciate everyone's candour. My grandchildren love a good poo story .. must relate these to them ... they will be in stitches ... :D

Back