• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

2yrs Since Bypass and a bit fed up..advice needed

emma-louise

my new life!!
Anyone else suffer with bloating and wind a lot since weightloss surgery?
I've had my bypass 2 yrs ago..since then I have bloating and wind pains almost EVERY day!
I'm sick of it,I take buscopan but it's crap at shifting it.
I mentioned it at the docs a couple of times but they didn't seem concerned.
The wind pains can be horrendous when bad,
Does anyone else suffer?
I don't know what to do,wind pains was not mentioned as something I'd have to live with after a bypass...any advice would be great x

That sounds horrible. I wish I could offer you proper advice but alas I can't. What I can do is sympathise and suggest that you google this problem. Or even check youtube. There are tons and tons of WLS posters and they talk about scores of good and bad post-surgery events - and what do do about them!

I hope you find a source of practical help very soon x

I'm really surprised bloating and wind pains haven't been mentioned before on this site.
It does seem quite a common problem on the USA sites after bypass surgery.
I'm just really wanting to know how to treat it as docs arent very helpful.

Well its funny you should say that, yesterday I had another pain episode, I had 2 cream crackers for my breakfast at 7am with pate on, then 3 cups of tea, 1 bottle of water, 1st cup bout 7.30, by the time 11.30 came I was crippled with pain knew it couldnt be a sugar think or fat from food, pain was coming and going, was in class so had to wait a bit before coming out, pain was terrible wave after wave, had to leave eventually went to the toilet (megga went) was fine after that. I think that could'v been wind blocked and it was fine after the toilet, wonder if I been drinking too fast yesterday? xx

chrisa said:
Well its funny you should say that, yesterday I had another pain episode, I had 2 cream crackers for my breakfast at 7am with pate on, then 3 cups of tea, 1 bottle of water, 1st cup bout 7.30, by the time 11.30 came I was crippled with pain knew it couldnt be a sugar think or fat from food, pain was coming and going, was in class so had to wait a bit before coming out, pain was terrible wave after wave, had to leave eventually went to the toilet (megga went) was fine after that. I think that could'v been wind blocked and it was fine after the toilet, wonder if I been drinking too fast yesterday? xx

Hi chrisa,

Did we talk last time about wind pains?
I'm getting pretty fed up if I'm honest,I just surprised there's not been more responses.
Saying that I'm glad bypassers don't always suffer with these pains as they are horrible.
I just wish I knew what to do or take,as at the minute I have buscopan and my faithful hot water bottle!
Have you thought anymore about the pains your getting and how to deal with it?
How many months post op are you now?

Hi we did talk about it last time, there is no pattern to when my pains start, yesterday luckily was only an 30 minute episode some days its been an hour or more. I am 1yr 2 months post op now I can go a while without this then it seems to come all of a sudden I have put it down to certain things then it has occurred with something else, so very unsure a sto what it is wonder if it could just be with drinking too fast, as I have been verys stressed of late and I have been reall dehydrated to the point of my wee being tea coloured at the end of the day. Don't know if stress has played a part also, but yesterday I did my best to eep the fluid going in and look what happened, I am just not sure. xx

maybe a random answer but are your pains central under ur front rib cage and going round to the right??? if so it could be your gall bladder!! maybe worth another docs appt if so. Hope you feel better soon. xx

No pains are in the lower half of stomach just coming and going in waves when I get them, cramping as if things are rumbling through the tubes. If I lie on my tummy and take buscopan I do pass wind and it wares of quickly, but can't do that at schoolxx

emma-louise said:
Anyone else suffer with bloating and wind a lot since weightloss surgery?
I've had my bypass 2 yrs ago..since then I have bloating and wind pains almost EVERY day!
I'm sick of it,I take buscopan but it's crap at shifting it.
I mentioned it at the docs a couple of times but they didn't seem concerned.
The wind pains can be horrendous when bad,
Does anyone else suffer?
I don't know what to do,wind pains was not mentioned as something I'd have to live with after a bypass...any advice would be great x

I'm getting it just recently, always have had it since surgery but it just passed on its own. Recently it's trapped and I look pregnant, i think it's an age thing too - generally woman get trapped wind as they get older as I understand. I'm fed up with it but I realise I could cut out carbs and it would help.

Sent from my iPhone using WLSurgery

chrisa said:
Hi we did talk about it last time, there is no pattern to when my pains start, yesterday luckily was only an 30 minute episode some days its been an hour or more. I am 1yr 2 months post op now I can go a while without this then it seems to come all of a sudden I have put it down to certain things then it has occurred with something else, so very unsure a sto what it is wonder if it could just be with drinking too fast, as I have been verys stressed of late and I have been reall dehydrated to the point of my wee being tea coloured at the end of the day. Don't know if stress has played a part also, but yesterday I did my best to eep the fluid going in and look what happened, I am just not sure. xx

Hi chrisa,
Stress has definetly played a part to my pains they are more intense when stressed.
I've got them every day!( but not stressed every day though!..lol!)
I'm going to have to mention it at the hospital next time again.
I had this op to become more physical,but when I am doing things like gardening,biking,hobbies all which involve bending..I get a build up of wind.
And in waves in lower half of tummy like you x

Cicca said:
I'm getting it just recently, always have had it since surgery but it just passed on its own. Recently it's trapped and I look pregnant, i think it's an age thing too - generally woman get trapped wind as they get older as I understand. I'm fed up with it but I realise I could cut out carbs and it would help.

Hi cicca,
When I get pains and bloat up I look about 9 mths pregnant.
I'm embarrassed to say it's gotten that bad,when I know I'm in for uncomfy day I have to wear maternity(size 12..lol)jeans..
Your quite far out from surgery aren't you?
Have you taken anything for it and worked?
Or any info from doctors..? X

I don't bloat with it, well not that i'v noticed, just suffer the crampy pains which take away my concentration when they come on, very painful. I was told it could be bowel colic and I must admit usually once I have been to loo it gets better sometimes have to go 3 or 4 times but yesterday only went the once but boy did I go n then the pain went, so don't know how to stop that other than drink n eat slower, but i hadn't eaten anything since 7am n that was 11.30 so no rhyme or reason really xx

I have some really bad bouts. On two occasions I was on the verge of calling a ambulance. They start in my stomach and go right up to my chest. They come in waves like contractions.
Sometimes a few peppermint capsuales is enuf but the last time I had 6 peppermint and two paracetamol within a hour and was literally rolling the floor. It eventually passed after about 4 hrs.

emma-louise said:
Hi cicca,
When I get pains and bloat up I look about 9 mths pregnant.
I'm embarrassed to say it's gotten that bad,when I know I'm in for uncomfy day I have to wear maternity(size 12..lol)jeans..
Your quite far out from surgery aren't you?
Have you taken anything for it and worked?
Or any info from doctors..? X

I've tried windeze for the 1st time today, it's helped a bit. It's been a lot worse recently, if it continues will see dr.

chrisa said:
I don't bloat with it, well not that i'v noticed, just suffer the crampy pains which take away my concentration when they come on, very painful. I was told it could be bowel colic and I must admit usually once I have been to loo it gets better sometimes have to go 3 or 4 times but yesterday only went the once but boy did I go n then the pain went, so don't know how to stop that other than drink n eat slower, but i hadn't eaten anything since 7am n that was 11.30 so no rhyme or reason really xx

Is bowel colic another word for wind pains?

happy days said:
I have some really bad bouts. On two occasions I was on the verge of calling a ambulance. They start in my stomach and go right up to my chest. They come in waves like contractions.
Sometimes a few peppermint capsuales is enuf but the last time I had 6 peppermint and two paracetamol within a hour and was literally rolling the floor. It eventually passed after about 4 hrs.

Hi

Got to agree my long bouts which last around 2/4 hrs or I can get little pains which come and go throughout the day x
I too started with peppermint,but as months have gone on it's not helping much neither is the buscopan.

Cicca said:
I've tried windeze for the 1st time today, it's helped a bit. It's been a lot worse recently, if it continues will see dr.

I've tryed windeze,deflatine,peppermint tea bags
And buscopan..the best thing I've have is a hot water bottle(try it).
If u do get any Info from docs would you message me?I don't mean to sound cheeky!
I'm desperate now,I'm actually sat here now with a hot bottle!

emma-louise said:
I've tryed windeze,deflatine,peppermint tea bags
And buscopan..the best thing I've have is a hot water bottle(try it).
If u do get any Info from docs would you message me?I don't mean to sound cheeky!
I'm desperate now,I'm actually sat here now with a hot bottle!

I also think sometimes it could be worse at time of the month, I seem to notice it getting worse then.

Well yes its wind in the bowel isn't it wind blocks between the stools, what a lovely conversation haha xx not funny at time tho!!

I havent had a period since beginning of last June so that can't be it with me xx Been going through menopqause for the last 10 years xx

Back