• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Baffled !!!

helen144

Its a bloody good job I found this site u know I havnt got a clue what I would have done without it .

Here goes

I had my gastric bypass done at Hope 6 days ago, I feel fantastic a little sore and a little tired , but over all feeling fab , incisions from procedure are healing fantastic.

I am now freely drinking tea , skinny cappucinos, water , fruit tea and coffees (although I have gone off these a little )

I am also managing extremley easily soups id say more than clear soup i had broccoli and stilton today with no lumps in it, i can manage yogurts and jellies, my quanties are good too and i wouldnt say I have felt over full and i have not been sik once and i have had no pain oh except a little after eating some WW ice cream.

Right what im confused about is, i do feel hungry , yes maybe this is head hunger , but im sure he hasnt done the op i fell like i just tuck into a kebab or toast or something , is this normal ?

Will it be different when i start on more solid foods ? do i need to move from liqueds to pureed now ?

I have lost weight ive now lost 1 stone and 1/2 pound thats including pre op diet of 9 lbs .

just a little confused

Just keep thinking that nothing will solve my weight problems and that even a bypass wont work for me.

Help

Helen
xxxxxx

Helen I was similar, I managed all the stages very easily and skipped through them quite fast.

What guidelines did your surgeon's team give you with regards to when to move on to purees? It seems so varied from one to another, some are discharged on purees, where as some are 4 weeks fluids.

Toast and kebabs probably not such a great idea, but some thin purees should be ok. You will find as the food gets more solid you will feel full faster and have to relearn how to eat. Don't rush too fast ;)

helen stick to the guide lines and take each step as stated. once you move onto puree and each stage you wil find that you manage less volume. how much protien ate you getting in i used horlics and oveltien light but made them with milk instead of water. also keep up yr water intake as well.
I like you was convinced that i ahd had nothing done other than 5 holes stabbed in me and my head meddled with.
I had my first ooh that hurt at 4 weeks when going from puree to mush and i knew about it.
you are doing bril just take it easy. make sure you get 6 lots of protien in each day even if its milky coffee.
take care
carole
ps are you going to the support group on wednesday?

hi helen
i had my bypass 6 wks ago, when i was at your stage my head hunger was awful! worst of all every advert on the tv was FOOD!
i was told to go onto purees after 4wks but really couldnt wait that long so went onto next stage at 3wks, mash, gravy and mint sauce, heaven! once i was on this kinda food my head hunger seemed to disappear(thank goodness) and have found it much better since, im now on soft/normal food now and have lost 2 stone in 6wks. :)

Helen, I think every one of us has had Head Hunger, it does seem to happen about a week post op as you start to feel better and want to eat. I also found it hard to watch adverts for food, but this does pass. I am now 5 weeks post op today, and for the last two weeks I have been cooking my family dinner so that they are ready for them when they get home.
I would now say that I have to remember to eat, the head hunger will pass quite quickly.

Thanks for your advice

LOL Shell i definately will not be having any kebabs or toast ......

I was told 2 weeks liqued, 2 weeks pureed , 2 weeks soft !!!

Yeh carole I think you are right im not having much in the way of milk products or protein but I am drinking loads of fluids!!!

I have ordered some 48gram protein shots and they are being delivered but yes I will start drinking more milk to increase my protein, i suppose im a little scared of drinking too much milk as I dont want to put weight on lol.

yes Carole me and hubby are coming to the meeting on wednesday cant wait to meet you all have been talking to Nic quite a bit too on facebook so looking forward to meeting her too, im sorry that I couldnt make the Manchester meeting the other day !!

Helen
xxxxx

Hiya Helen. You will feel more normal once you are onto purees and then soft food. The fluids aren't very satisfying so your head tells you it wants real food! However you can just add protein drinks and more dairy to keep your body running. It is important just now for you to focus on healing and not try to rush more complicated digestion thus the stages being set like they are. The head hunger does fall away very drastically once you are on proper food so you may have to remember to eat, lol! You are doing really well and you should try not to worry so, follow the really simple guidelines and you will be a wonderful success.

Looking forward to seeing you on Wed hun!
Nic:D

Oh the head hunger! I couldnt watch TV or Come Dine with Me or anything with food in it - was working out how to blend pizza at one point! All of a sudden it went - didnt even realise! Now I have no hunger at all - have to make myself eat - talk about from the sublime to the ridiculous! Still the weight is rolling off and Im not complaining - hang in there!

Back