• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

long term effects

GemmsieJ

Hello,

I am still undecided as to whether to go for the bypass or band. Does anyone know or have experience of someone who has had a bypass on a long term basis, say 10 years or more, how do they find their eating habits now? Are they still extremley restricted? Is there a point in time with a bypass when your eating becomes more "normal" ?

I want to lose weight but and am 34 now but am opting towards having a band and think if I want a less restricted lifestyle say 20-30 years down the line at least I can have it removed...

So confused!!!

xxxx

Its dependant on your eating habits Gemma as to what surgery works best for you.

You have to look upon the bypass as a 'for life' lifestyle change - you will never be able to eat the portion sizes you can now, there may be some foods you will never be able to tolerate. I say may because all the people Ive spoken to who are further on than me are now finding that they can eat most things but in much smaller quantities. You can put weight back on with the bypass but not to the extent that you may be now. Personally, Ive spent the last 47 years of my life eating what I wanted and then hated where it got me so I embraced the bypass and welcomed the restrictions that it brought - I would rather be healthy and have a decent figure than eat rubbish again.

I cant speak for people 10 + years down the line cause I dont know any - its a question for your surgeon.

I dont think they like the idea of people thinking they can get them removed again later. The Nurse I saw said if someone came to her and said that then they weren't suitable for surgery as it is perminent... That said I kind of felt the same, plus I'm only 30 too so I kind of worry what the long term health risks are if say I get to 80 with the bypass. I've come round to the idea now though that if if I dont have the bypass I wont get to 80 and that I know if I had the band taken out I'd just put the weight right back on. So it's the bypass for me. Hope this is of some help...

My surgeon showed me a really interesting set of results based on studies in Switzerland and France.

Basically it showed that over 15 years, the weight loss maintainance in banded and bypassed patients is roughly the same.

Bypassers lose their excess weight much quicker, usually within a year. Banders lose it in a 2-3 year time scale.

But long term results show that bypassers and banders both regain some of that weight eventually. Normally about 15-20 percent.

The only long term difference the study showed was that banders suffer no malnutrion from their diet as apposed to bypassers always needing supplements due to malabsorption.

Bypass can be reversed, it's very difficult but not impossible. Bands can be removed but it's rare unless their are complications.

I also found this article which is the history behind the proceedures.

The Story of Obesity - Chapter 4

No wls is a cure, and it is possible to regain all the weight lost (and more) with any procedure (even the bypass). I am faced with choosing a bypass and also worry about the long term effects in 40 years time, but my surgeon says that there is no evidence to suggest problems in the long term. The bypass has been around for 40 years, and most surgeons feel confident that the RNY is a safe procedure with little side effects. Malabsorption is very minimal, and after time the pouch does stretch, but it depends on the individual to what extent.

Bands are great and can work well, the estimated weight loss with a band is much lower than a bypass (although I know lots of people who have lost all their excess weight with a band). Bands do require a lot of willpower, as slider foods like choccie, ice cream etc all go down. BUT even with a bypass, not everyone dumps, so this can also be an issue with a bypass. Bands do go wrong, I was recently told by a surgeon that 30% of bands fail (for different reasons), and some people just cannot live with the vomiting, tightness and somewhat unpredictable nature of a band - I know it made my life miserable.

Weight loss is usually slower with a band, but in the long term there are more options to have fills etc so perhaps work better long term than bypasses(?). But the weight loss can be frustrating as it can takes numerous fills before reaching that all elusive sweet spot which can take up to a year for some people.

RNY and Band are reversible, (my band was removed). The Sleeve and DS are not reversable.

Eating becomes more 'normal' after time with a bypass. I know someone who had her bypass 5 years ago. As an example if she goes out for a meal she could eat 2 starters now (starter as a main). She is unlikely to ever be able to 'supersize' meals again. She has not tested the dumping, and avoids high sugar foods. Not everyone does though.

So, at the end of the day I think you need to look at your eating habits and take your surgeons advice. Any wls is major surgery, some carry more risks, some see quicker results. It's a hard decision to make.

Good luck.

Thanks for your replies they've been very helpful and infomrative. I think deep down I know the bypass is probably going to work best for me. However my family are very nervous and have been pushing for me to have the band. I've still got a few months to decide as I've only just had my first consultant appt and I'm not due to go back to see him for another 3 months and all the tests have been carried out....decisions, decisions! Arghhh!

Hi, I'm in the same position. My family would rather the band because of the risks etc of the bypass. I started out determined it was the band but after seeing my consultant and meeting people both with the band and bypass I've opted for the bypass. It is still a bit scary though!

Back