• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Band advice

JTR

Hi all, after much consideration I have decided that I want a Gastric Band. My BMI is 44. I went to my doctor and he basically said that there was not much that could be got on NHS to help with weight loss (if I had come 6 months ago would have been different). I am in Rochdale. I have an appointment in May to see the Nurse to see what current options are available to me. I am hoping to be able to have it done privately (if I can secure a loan) as the waiting time for NHS seems to be very long and I think in my area funding doesn't seem to be very available. Can anyone advise me about going privately? how long does that process take and does your GP need to be involved in any of the process? and any advice on where to go that is good in the Manchester area? I have seen an advert for the WLS Group they say in Manchester a band for £5950. Another question, sorry! :) but taking time off work, how long is the recovery? all going well could I just take leave? Just wanting to hear some others views of how quickly they were back at work. My job is office based so not an active role at all. Thanks everyone! Juliet:)

Hi Juliet

Going privately you can choose when you have the op (within reason) but could be as soon as the next available slot or when you want it, say in a month.

The provider you chose will at least let your GP know you have had the op but mine informed my GP pre op.

I dont know about the Manchester area but I had my band with WLS Group and I cant fault them.

I had a week off work and was fine - that was leave rather than sick leave.

Good luck xx

I went with the hospital group can't fault them either and like Mazza was back at work after a week. Took it as holidays and for once had an excuse to do absolutely nothing for a whole it it was bliss...:) good luck and don't hesitate to ask questions xx

Another question, sorry! :) but taking time off work, how long is the recovery? all going well could I just take leave? Just wanting to hear some others views of how quickly they were back at work. My job is office based so not an active role at all. Thanks everyone! Juliet:)

Cant tell you prices or places as im down south...but can tell you I had my surgery on tuesday, and went out to the shops today, it hurt walking far, but sitting down and talking and being online is fine....so thats 4 days post op....obviously everyone is different...I dont work as im disabled. But i've known people to go back to work after a couple of days off....after surgery.

I had my op on the Saturday and was back at an office based / training job on the Wednesday, but I didn't feel 100% myself until about two weeks post op. i chose to take leave rather than sick leave too, even though i told my boss about it. Didnt want to ruin 25 years unblemished record :sigh: anaesthetic rather than the band/incision/swelling slowed me down a bit. I went with the hospital group and they were great - I chose them for convenience; closer to me for the aftercare which is really important. Good luck with whatever you decide :)

Ah thank you everybody for your responses! that was what I was hoping was that I could take a week's leave (or maybe 2) and that would be sufficient. Definitely annual leave as opposed to sick leave :) am getting excited! will keep you all updated. Am going to try and secure a loan for this. Thanks again, Juliet

I had 2 weeks annual leave and glad I did as wasn't me again until day 10 so at least when I went back I was truly back to normal!

Back