• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Help ASAP please

Lcoates

I had my band fitted June 2012 privately in Prague. I've lost 8 and a half stone altogether and currently maintaining. I've recently dropped half a stone unintentionally and struggling to eat. I haven't had a fill for at least 18months so nothing has changed around the banding. I am throwing up a lot more and also waking in the night to be sick and have been sick in my sleep.
Does anyone have any ideas or advice on what this could be? Very worried now

Thanks

countrywench

I think maybe you need to have your band checked , like a mini MOT type of thing .. It may be showing signs of slippage ? Maybe have some taken out ? How much is in there ?
I would deff be calling the local private hospital and book in for a word with a surgeon , hopefully the one who fitted for you ?
Xxxxx

Julcsi

Have a word with your gp to arrange a barium swallow then you can have a word with your local (nhs) bariatric surgeon for free. It should be done within 3-4 weeks. Good luck.

Lcoates

Thanks for the replies. I've been back and to for appointments at the GP and getting no where. I'm on all the medicine I can be on for acid reflux and no change. I was throwing up blood last night. My partner and family want me to have the band removed but I don't know if I want to go down that route. I've lost a further half a stone since my last message. I am also very deficient in iron, folate and b12 so on tablets and injections for that too!

Lcoates

I think maybe you need to have your band checked , like a mini MOT type of thing .. It may be showing signs of slippage ? Maybe have some taken out ? How much is in there ?
I would deff be calling the local private hospital and book in for a word with a surgeon , hopefully the one who fitted for you ?
Xxxxx
I had mine abroad so seeing the same surgeon is difficult unless I travel over there. I'm not sure of the procedure! To be honest I'm not sure what I have in, I can't remember. Thanks for you reply and il try and see someone asap xxx

TiaLi

If you are throwing up blood you need to go to the a&e. That's not something to be taken lightly. I'm not a doctor, but if I were to guess I would say you most likely either have an ulcer, or the band has eroded into your stomach. Either way you need a workup asap, not in a couple of weeks.

Lcoates

If you are throwing up blood you need to go to the a&e. That's not something to be taken lightly. I'm not a doctor, but if I were to guess I would say you most likely either have an ulcer, or the band has eroded into your stomach. Either way you need a workup asap, not in a couple of weeks.
Thanks for your reply..
I visited the docs today and they diagnosed me with a stomach ulcer. I'm on more meds to try and heal it and awaiting a response from the gastro team to see what they recommend but it's looking towards having the band out :( not sure how I feel about it though
Xx

TiaLi

Thanks for your reply..
I visited the docs today and they diagnosed me with a stomach ulcer. I'm on more meds to try and heal it and awaiting a response from the gastro team to see what they recommend but it's looking towards having the band out :( not sure how I feel about it though
Xx

Glad to hear that you have had it checked out and that they now are treating/monitoring it! Ulcers can become fatal if left untreated, and the fact that yours had even started bleeding means that you really did need immediate help. It's quite frustrating to hear that your gp was so dismissive. I find the NHS's attitude towards people who have had wls privately quite absurd. You have saved the NHS a lot of money by paying for your op by yourself (not to mention the future cost savings of obesity-related illnesses). So why on earth do they so often turn people away when they have post-op complications? If anything, surely they should want to incentivise those who can afford to go privately to do so - not deter them. A lot of people are scared of going privately for this very reason.

I fully understand that you feel very ambivalent about having the band out though...but it does sound like it needs to be done unfortunately hun. You are not the only person to have experienced these issues with a gastric band, I have read quite a few similar stories from other banders. If you are worried about regain, is converting over to a sleeve an option for you?

Julcsi

I am converting band to bypass due to reflux issues in Belgium for just over £6000 by Bruno Dillemans. Sleeve dont work as revision procedure. Best of luck!

Suffolk Joy

Thanks for the replies. I've been back and to for appointments at the GP and getting no where. I'm on all the medicine I can be on for acid reflux and no change. I was throwing up blood last night. My partner and family want me to have the band removed but I don't know if I want to go down that route. I've lost a further half a stone since my last message. I am also very deficient in iron, folate and b12 so on tablets and injections for that too!

Hi there.
I had a band fitted in 2006 privately and lost 7+ stone but it never worked properly. I was sick every day, extremely limited diet but it got far worse - like you to the point of not being able to swallow anything. Eventually - with my GP unable to help I contactde the hospital that did the op and they said it was an emergency and go to nearest hospital for assistance. Local hospital not helpful so I landed up at Addenbrookes. Had 2 barium swallows - many stabs in an attempt to get to deflate the band and then it was done under barium conditions. I was very malnourished and spent the next 6 months having food replacement drinks and downing every supplement tablet possible to raise all my levels and was referred to Tier 4 services for band removal and further surgery as my BMI was still high. I had removal of the band and a bypass six weeks ago and the relief is enormous. To be able to eat without being sick and to be eat food other than maize based crispbread and tuna mayonnaise and other sliding food is super. My op took 4+ hours - the removal of the band being the major task.

You need to get to a hospital that has a bariatric unit if possible or at least a tier three service to help. I went to A&E as I was so distressed by this time rather than via GP referral.

Please take care and let us know what happens.

SJ x

Mazza

Administrator
Staff member
I am converting band to bypass due to reflux issues in Belgium for just over £6000 by Bruno Dillemans. Sleeve dont work as revision procedure. Best of luck!

Can we keep things on topic and supportive please, this poor lady has been diagnosed with an ulcer and has become quite ill.

I was in a similar situation nutrition wise and it wasn't nice.

@Lcoates I had to have my band removed and I completely understand who you feel about the prospect of letting it go but it sounds like it won't be doing you any favours to keep it.

Good luck with the gastro team, it can take a while to get things moving but as your health is not good at this time, hopefully it won't take long.

Take care x