• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Band and Exercise

NT1977

Hi All,

Is there anything you are unable to do with a band exercise wise? I have some sessions with a trainer at the gym and I want to be able to advise him properly.

So far I have stuck to Badminton, swimming, walking and zumba but I want to use the gym and start toning but ovbiously do not want to cause any problems

Thanks

One thing that you do need to be aware of is ab crunches and things such as sit ups - to the point that some providers (my own included) advise strongly against doing them. Before they told me that I had joined the gym and was doing crunches and sit ups and the pain around the port area was immense, to the point of I had to have an emergency follow up as I thought I'd done some damage to the band.

Because the tubing from the port to the band runs around the stomach muscle area, doing sit ups and crunch type exercise can make the muscles incredibly tender (and even though I have a high pain tolerance INCREDIBLY painful!).

If you can find something that does similar toning but avoiding sit ups, I'd advise it as it can really irritate the port area. :)

Well I avoided crunches, working with a trainer once a week and he is a boxing trainer so a lot of what we are doing used the core muscles but without crunches. I have jelly legs this morning cause I have used muscles that had gone into retirement! ha ha

Isnt that a great feeling? I love that "suffering" the next day. I've just increased my weights at the gym this week, one jumped up from a 20kg weight to a 35kg weight and boy did I feel it, but boy does it feel good :)

Just to say, you may also find that intense exercises and these new exercises may tighten the band, so you may find potentially that after it, some foods may be harder to go down :)

Thanks for the tip TK, its all a learning curve isn't it

Back