• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Exercise after band

Karen_Ponte

How soon can you start exercise? I mean gym/weights, not just walking. I'm feeling motivated right now and want to plan for after my band op on Sunday!

Sent from my iPhone using WLSurgery

Hi Karen, I am three weeks post op on Thursday and have just started exercising gently. Nothing that put too much pressure on my core as I still have bruising even though no pain. My provider said 2-3 weeks.
Good luck for Sunday

You really need to check with your provider but good for you for feeling motivated.

I was back at the gym after 2 weeks but just walking and cycling. Swimming and classes at 6 weeks, then weights and anything tummy related a little longer.

Good luck x

Thank you responding! How soon were you both back to work? I've only booked one day off :-s

One day - OMG!! :eek:

I had my op on a Saturday and took the next week off, which was fine for me but everyone is different :D

One day isn't very much! I was still feeling quite miserable at two weeks; I couldn't have gone to work even then.

As to exercise my surgeon said 2 weeks for treadmill, bike etc, and six weeks for anything tummy related like crunches. But I could start lifting weights up to 5kg at four weeks.

I had a week! I felt awful up until day 5 with really bad wind pain in my shoulder which only a hot water bottle and plenty of little walks could cure. Take it very steady if your going back after a day.

I forgot to mention that I work from home most of the time so I think I'll be ok. I just won't get much done by the sound of it! My boss is understanding but I haven't told him what I'm going to hospital for - ill have to make something up.

I think you'll be ok if your at home then. My surgeon said no driving for 5 days after and I am field based so I had to take a week. If your at home at least you can sit in PJ's all day and it doesn't matter. Good luck. Let us know how you get on x

No driving?! I have to take my kids to school and pick them up. Oh well, I'll have to stock up on painkillers!

Do they??! Do the pre op people tell you all this stuff?! And are there any soluble really strong painkillers?

I was told that when i have my op not to drive for at least 7 days as the insurance wont cover u after the op cause of the drugs etc.

There are a lot of strong soluble painkillers but I didn't take anything stronger than paracetamol but be guided by your provider. I was also told not to drive for a week because of the insurance ..sorry. I took 2 weeks off work and was grateful for it although it was only the 1st week when I was miserable!
I still won't do stomach exercises- i don't like the thought of putting undue pressure on my port which is clipped onto your 'ab' muscles. I'm never going to have a 6pack (or want to) so not much point in putting this area under stress.
Good luck for your op and looking forward to seeing you on that losers couch! xx

Hi
I took op day and three more off for my band. I was a bit bored on the last day at home on my own. I drove on 2nd day post op but I was afraid because I probably wasn't insured. I was able to do anything I wanted the next week maybe 7 or 8 days post op and returned to Zumba after the Christmas break, maybe 3 weeks post op. I couldn't manage Zumba when I was on my pre op diet because I was too fatigued.
Good luck with you op on Sunday :)
Sue

Liquid paracetamol, the hospital gave me a bottle then I had a calpol one too. No driving for a week or insurance won't cover you because you went under general anestetic. So no driving please xxx

Thank you for your responses. I've been told I have to inject myself with blood thinner for a week afterwards too! Every day :eek: I hate needles!

Thank you for your responses. I've been told I have to inject myself with blood thinner for a week afterwards too! Every day :eek: I hate needles!

I had to as well, all of us that went to Prague had to do Heparin injections, straight into a little roll on your belly it doesnt hurt when you inject just stings a wee bit after xx

I bloody hate injections at the best of times, never mind having to give them to myself. This had better be worth it!

My hospital gave me paracetamol in its normal pill form and I have been taking them with no problems at all. Try not to worry about the injections, like you I was freaked when they told me that I had to inject myself for 7 days after the op. (i've had fillings done without anaesthetic because i was so scared of needles!) the fact is that the needle is so fine that you don't actually feel it. Good luck. X

Back