• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Band failed - do I go for a sleeve??

thistlegirl

Hi guys, just looking for advice.

Quick bit of background -
2005 banded in Belgium (21st)
Got down to 15st within the next year. Fell in love and didn't care about losing anymore.
Stayed at 15st ish for a few years then weight crept up, suffered from reflux and I fell pregnant in 2009, band loosened.
Relationship ended and I ate like a maniac while pregnant - back to 21st!

Gave up all hope and have now got a big pouch so consultant says he has to operate.

He is offering to do a sleeve gastrectomy.

What would you do? I basically have an eating disorder and in the past have put on 6st in 6 months so am I entirely unsuitable for any kind of weight loss surgery?

I am on a waiting list to see a psychologist regarding my eating and depression.

I fought against the band for so long I am scared I'll try to outwit the sleeve as well but I need to do something. I'm 36 and have got aching joints already.

Is it worth going for this op??

thanks gilx

tartanlady

I would say yes go for it in fact if you could get the bypass instead as that takes away the malabsorbsion (cant spell it), also it helps with the indulgences as you can have the dumping syndrome if you eat anything too naughty. Good luck whatever you decide

thistlegirl

Thanks for your reply tartan lady. Really not sure what to do, my parents are against any more ops & being on my own with my wee girl I am nervous of something going wrong.
Gilx

Bellydancer57

I went for a sleeve. Originally wanted band but surgeon said it was not a good option for me. I also had high blood pressure & chronic sciatica which was almost making me immobile. I lost 8 stones in 6 months post sleeve was a size 30 now 18 going into some size 16s. I exercise regularly evening running now. Nothing phases me. No more back pain, no more high blood pressure. I can't believe it. I am a totally new woman & still loosing. Love my sleeve. Good luck.

tartanlady

Thanks for your reply tartan lady. Really not sure what to do, my parents are against any more ops & being on my own with my wee girl I am nervous of something going wrong.
Gilx

Awww such a shame your parents are not being more supportive but if you decide to accept its for you and your health no one elses and obviously think about the life you could have with your wee girl a much better life than your having now i bet

Mazza

Administrator
Staff member
I would say yes go for it in fact if you could get the bypass instead as that takes away the malabsorbsion (cant spell it), also it helps with the indulgences as you can have the dumping syndrome if you eat anything too naughty. Good luck whatever you decide

The bypass doesn't take away the malabsorption, it gives you that, dumping syndrome is not a given either.

To the original poster - I'm sorry to hear of your problems but this is the sort of conversation you should be having with your doctor. If you have an un resolved eating disorder, in my humble opinion you would be best tackling that first.

I hope you get an appointment to see the psyhcologist soon.

Good luck x :D

tartanlady

did not say you would have the dumping syndrome said it can

thistlegirl

Luckily my mum & dad will be there for me whatever decision I make.

Mazza I have discussed these issues with my gp and consultant. I was just hoping that someone could give me their personal point of view and if living with a sleeve was more achievable than with a band.

Also just fact finding about the negative side effects of the sleeve. Could I live with them?

Thanks for any input & all replies :)
Gilx

Bethany

Hi Gil,
I am so sorry you have had these problems. I had a sleeve in January 2012 and it is the best thing I have ever done. I have now lost over 8 stone and am 7 dress sizes smaller. I am so active, when once I hardly moved out of the chair, I do the gardening (when we do have nice weather to be out there) I move about more.
What you have to get your head round, and you should be talking to your doctor, psychologist and surgeon about this, is the fact that you will never be able to eat large meals again. I have come to terms with this fact and feel great. I know some people do start eating lots of the wrong foods, like chocolate, cakes and biscuits and start stretching their stomachs and either don't lose much weight or start putting it back, but it is unusual, it is not as easy as when you have a band. I always know when to stop eating and when sometimes I have eaten too much, I have such an uncomfortable feeling that I don't do it again. I virtually eat anything I want but in much smaller portions so I am so glad I went for a sleeve.
I hope things work out for you.
Bethanyx

Caren

Love my sleeve!!
I say go for it, I too have an eating disorder, compulsive overeating, I had the sleeve and its the best thing I've ever done. I physically can't over eat now, and on the couple of occasions that I've pushed it, it came straight back up again, I love my sleeve, I've lost 79lb since April and wouldn't change it for the world, good luck with whatever you decide :) oh my daughter was dead set against it, but now loves the new me :) xxx

from me phone :D

shelleymarie

I'm just going to echo what Caren said, I too have been diagnosed with compulsive over eating disorder. I've had the bypass but I did have a course of cbt first, which I recommend if you get offered it. So far I've felt in control with my eating for the first time in my life. So I do think if you've ever had an eating disorder you can have surgery if psychiatrist agrees but of course I'm sure you surgeon and the psychiatrist will help you make an informed decision. Best of luck x

thistlegirl

Thanks everyone.
I wrote a reply on my phone but it seems to have disappeared! I'll get a chance to answer better tonight after work.
I'm just feeling good that there is some hope and I'm not destined to be massive forever.
gilx

Mazza

Administrator
Staff member
Mazza I have discussed these issues with my gp and consultant. I was just hoping that someone could give me their personal point of view and if living with a sleeve was more achievable than with a band.

Also just fact finding about the negative side effects of the sleeve. Could I live with them?

Thanks for any input & all replies :)
Gilx

I appreciate that but I don't think there is any one who posts on here that has gone from band to sleeve to give you that perspective, could be wrong though. Most seem to go band to bypass.

Its good that you have the support of your family.

There are loads of succesful sleevers on here, have a look through some of the threads which no doubt show a warts and all account :D xx

snack

To be honest you can also get a stretched pouch with a sleeve and a bypass I know it a lot more rare but it does happen,I think WLS is fantastic I love my band but I know 80 per cent of the work is down too me my band just helps me with the rest, if your minds in the right place I'd say go for it what ever you decide ,good luck on your journey xxx

thistlegirl

I feel that I am swaying towards the sleeve. I am just trying to come to terms with the head stuff. Hopefully if the psychology appointments kick in at a similar time I could attack my weight problem with both barrels :)

I was miserable with the band with reflux and night time vomiting. So am trying to work out the risk of that happening again as you can't get a sleeve loosened unlike a band.

I think i also struggled with not being able to sit down with a large meal. And eventually the issues with eating out got to me too.

I loved my band for the first few years, then I became indifferent and then came to hate it. Could that happen with a sleeve?

Are there any long term sleevies out there? Over 5yrs?

I'm sorry for the rambling and I guess I'm not expecting any definite answers just trying to sort my head out.

Thanks for taking the time to reply and good luck with your journeys - all doing fabulously so far :)

gilx

Caren

Love my sleeve!!
I feel that I am swaying towards the sleeve. I am just trying to come to terms with the head stuff. Hopefully if the psychology appointments kick in at a similar time I could attack my weight problem with both barrels :)

I was miserable with the band with reflux and night time vomiting. So am trying to work out the risk of that happening again as you can't get a sleeve loosened unlike a band.

I think i also struggled with not being able to sit down with a large meal. And eventually the issues with eating out got to me too.

I loved my band for the first few years, then I became indifferent and then came to hate it. Could that happen with a sleeve?

Are there any long term sleevies out there? Over 5yrs?

I'm sorry for the rambling and I guess I'm not expecting any definite answers just trying to sort my head out.

Thanks for taking the time to reply and good luck with your journeys - all doing fabulously so far :)

gilx
a lot of people get reflux with the sleeve, i take omeprozole daily.
Eating smaller meals is ok once you start getting full with something small, although you can eat more as time goes on.
Im not sure if there are many sleevers around now who had the op years ago. If you want to message me any questions i'll be happy to help, good luck :) x

thistlegirl

Thank you Caren, your weightloss is very inspirational.
I am starting to allow myself to imagine being thinner again. Very exciting.....

Caren

Love my sleeve!!
Thank you Caren, your weightloss is very inspirational.
I am starting to allow myself to imagine being thinner again. Very exciting.....
Its very strange! I keep expecting it to stop like it always has, but it keeps going lol its wonderful :) x

thistlegirl

Oh I have a question...

With the band you had restriction however sometimes the band seemed to relax and you could get loads of food down if you were patient. Does this happen with the sleeve? Or if you are full you are full - no more food is going down? lol

Also is your sleeve fickle? My band would tighten up in different situations - when I was stressed, when I had a cold, or even time of the month. Do sleeves do this?

ta gilx