• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Failed sleeve.??

Vegas

I've posted a few times now about my very slow weight loss, this is normal for me but had hoped that the sleeve would have helped speed things up a bit. I am almost 8 weeks post op, but including 10 day LSD I have only lost 21 lbs and only 11 lbs post op. I have been more or less constantly hungry, I moved from soft foods to more solid early to try and get some sense of restriction but I have very little. i can't eat a 'huge portion' but I can eat more than most people seem to be able to without feeling full so I make my self eat smaller amounts. I eat protein first, very few carbs, no fluids at the same time etc. I can also eat without loads of chewing, I can eat fruit, salads, etc which is supposed to be tough. My sleeve is a band revision and I was in surgery for some time due to scar tissue and I wonder if my sleeve is actually bigger than average due to this. I will of course talk to my surgeon ( though he's not the easiest man to converse with about concerns) but has anyone else heard of anything similar? I just want to feel some of the joy expressed by so many successful sleeves.

So sorry for your not so joyful journey so far, however every lb off is a massive positive. Have you been tested for thyroid etc? Just wondering if there could possibly be something medical going on?

Definitely push to talk to your surgeon. He should be able to help with any concerns

So sorry for your not so joyful journey so far, however every lb off is a massive positive. Have you been tested for thyroid etc? Just wondering if there could possibly be something medical going on? Definitely push to talk to your surgeon. He should be able to help with any concerns

Haven't recently been tested for thyroid but all previous tests have been ok. I know they sometimes miss thyroid issues unless they ask for specific tests, but it wouldn't explain my other sleeve issues. I will talk to surgeon but I am worried that this may not work for me, I really can't afford any further surgery.

Who was your surgeon?

I definitely think this is your first port if call. Closely followed by the dietician in your package.

Good luck ;)

This is fairly normal. Band damage does lead to less restriction and much slower weight loss as the revisions don't seem to make the same sort of impact a single surgery does. I suspect this is because the body is used to much lower calories.

Bands do a lot of damage to your stomach, I don't think that people queuing up to get them realise this!

For the initial few weeks of my revision surgery I had amazing restriction so I'm afraid that I have to disagree it's the revision but just the luck of the draw. I have uncontrollable weight loss with my revision :((

I have not had a revision I went straight for the gastric sleeve. First 5 weeks I lost nothing then after talking to dietitian I was not eating enough calories so my body had gone into starvation mode. I was advised to get in 800 cals a day using protein milkshakes to increase the input and I have not looked back since. Bare in mind your cal intake may need to be at a different level so you may need to up it or lower it to get your results. Maybe something for you to think about xx

Appointment with dietician this week and surgeon in 2 weeks. I guess everyone is different, but the extra surgery time (4.5 hours) was due to scar tissue and difficulty removing the band and port, long incisions were needed, so perhaps that is why restriction isn't quite as much as I was expecting. Maybe because my understanding of restriction is band based not sleeve based I really don't know. I'll talk to the hospital and try and get some reassurances.

Vegas, can I ask, did you have any problems with the band at all? As I am looking to have a band to sleeve revision. I have never had any problems with mine only that all I lost on it was 2 stone

Vegas, can I ask, did you have any problems with the band at all? As I am looking to have a band to sleeve revision. I have never had any problems with mine only that all I lost on it was 2 stone

Hi Donna, I didn't have problems as such, no slippage or anything but I only lost about 2 stone with band ( over 3 years) and I found living with it really difficult as the inconsistency in what I could eat drove me mad, one day I could eat something easily and the next could eat hardly anything at all and just ended up with that horrible stuck feeling. After 5 years I had most of the fluid removed so it was not really functioning by the time I had my sleeve op, but of course I regained the weight. I originally returned to surgeon for a bypass and it was he that suggested the sleeve instead as it was less problematic than bypass in terms of absorption. I am 5 2 and pre sleeve was at my highest weight of 16 stone and have always always been a slow weight loser no matter what diet. I am losing with sleeve, just very slowly which is ok but I just had hoped for more. The positive thing is I do not feel like I am on a diet so it's easy to stick to the healthy stuff x

Vegas, as you say this could be your understanding of restriction which is band based. I think you've nailed it. I had the same, it's hard to explain but with the band you know when you've had enough and one more teaspoon will be too much. With the bypass (when I did eat initially) there wasn't that clear signal like the band has. I discussed this with my dietician at the time and the signal can be much more subtle, even being an itchy nose! I suggest you stick to exact portions and as you move through the initial stages when solid food is all you are on maybe the new signal will be more apparent. Or it's just watching portion size forever.

HI Vegas, re: band is exactly the same as me. I have had my band for 3 years and only lost 2 stone at a cost of 6K
:( and sick of food getting stuck all the time, this is why I am now aiming to now have a sleeve.

Vegas, as you say this could be your understanding of restriction which is band based. I think you've nailed it. I had the same, it's hard to explain but with the band you know when you've had enough and one more teaspoon will be too much. With the bypass (when I did eat initially) there wasn't that clear signal like the band has. I discussed this with my dietician at the time and the signal can be much more subtle, even being an itchy nose! I suggest you stick to exact portions and as you move through the initial stages when solid food is all you are on maybe the new signal will be more apparent. Or it's just watching portion size forever.

Perhaps a combination of many things, but I think you.re right about watching portion size for sometime, ATM I just stop whether I feel full or not, and I also need to learn t chew better even though I can eat at normal rate and normal chew without any problems. Perhaps my stomach not as sensitive as non banded ones.

And Donna, I don't regret the sleeve ( not yet anyway) maybe the bypass would have been different who knows, could have same issues and more, and I'm so pleased to not have the band anymore, it felt like a huge release. As I say, I am losing weight just more slowly and learning how my particular sleeve is going to help me is taking some working out so don't let me put you off, it's an expensive thing with the cost of the band as well so that just makes me more determined to learn how to get the most from it. X

Hi all
Just reading this, had to have my band removed in March after 5 years as slipped and caused damage to stomach, after paying £7500 for band, then £9000 for a tummy tuck & boob lift all private. Nhs refusing to help as weight going on quick, even though not over eating. Have decided now to go Prague for a sleeve.
Never thought I'd be going through this again after reaching size 8-10 as thought band was for life, however only has a 5-10 yr life which they don't tell you.
Quite nervous of getting a sleeve but hoping last hurdle x

I had a band to sleeve revision on 8th August. Band had been in place 2 years and had only lost 1 1/2 stone before experiencing terrible shoulder pain due to torn diaphragm. Regained weight due to band being deflated for 12 mtgs. During op, surgeon found scarring and that band had slipped and embedded in my liver! Have lost 6lbs post-op, which I am happy with.

I too and worried about failure to lose weight this time, but so far so good.

Hi sorry just saw this, haven't got the hang of this yet, how's the weight? So are they just going to leave this now with you?
I'm just so gutted have gained 3.5 stone since having removed, so depressed as can't fit into anything. 3 months to go until the sleeve, can't wait.. x

Appointment with dietician this week and surgeon in 2 weeks. I guess everyone is different, but the extra surgery time (4.5 hours) was due to scar tissue and difficulty removing the band and port, long incisions were needed, so perhaps that is why restriction isn't quite as much as I was expecting. Maybe because my understanding of restriction is band based not sleeve based I really don't know. I'll talk to the hospital and try and get some reassurances.

I have gone straight for a Sleeve, I only feel restriction when I eat solid foods, meats not minced etc. Anything that isn't liquidy or crumbles easily.

Maybe if you are still on liquids/puree this is why you cant feel it yet? xxx

I have gone straight for a Sleeve, I only feel restriction when I eat solid foods, meats not minced etc. Anything that isn't liquidy or crumbles easily.

Maybe if you are still on liquids/puree this is why you cant feel it yet? xxx

Everyone is so different. I feel restriction with everything, even coffee. xx

Everyone is so different. I feel restriction with everything, even coffee. xx

Blimey. I only get it with liquids if I do it too fast. Lol xx

Sent from my iPhone using WLSurgery

Back