• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

BAND FILL DILEMMA

watshea

I had a gastric band fitted last November and lost 2 stones before my first fill. I had 3mls put in but could not keep a cup of tea down so the radiologist took a further 1ml off. Since then I have become increasingly hungry but find my tolerance to foods and portions fluctuates wildly. I can't manage most fruits and veg, cottage cheese, quorn etc. Consequently I have put on weight as I can tolerate chocolate, hard cheese, crispbreads and crips strangely enough.I can manage some ready cooked meals but am then hungry again soon after. I find I have to regurgitate almost daily. I spoke to my band fill company and they advised a further fill due to increasing hunger and capacity to eat larger portions of some foods. I am now wondering if a DE-FILL may be a better option so I can fill up on healthier food. Any advice welcomed. Heather x

Sorry cannot advise as a bypasser but did not want to read and run, someone will be along real soon to advise chick...xx

I had a gastric band fitted last November and lost 2 stones before my first fill. I had 3mls put in but could not keep a cup of tea down so the radiologist took a further 1ml off. Since then I have become increasingly hungry but find my tolerance to foods and portions fluctuates wildly. I can't manage most fruits and veg, cottage cheese, quorn etc. Consequently I have put on weight as I can tolerate chocolate, hard cheese, crispbreads and crips strangely enough.I can manage some ready cooked meals but am then hungry again soon after. I find I have to regurgitate almost daily. I spoke to my band fill company and they advised a further fill due to increasing hunger and capacity to eat larger portions of some foods. I am now wondering if a DE-FILL may be a better option so I can fill up on healthier food. Any advice welcomed. Heather x

folow advice on having fill but when you are there ask to speak to a dietician as it sounds like you havnt had any advice on what are good band foods and what are not , things like chocolate melt and slide straight thru the band i cant eat alot of foods anymore the idea is to eat foods that sit in the pouch longer keeping you feeling full jacket potatoes are great for this i find well baked beans and poached egg another great meal for keeping me full also make sure you are chewing well and eating really slowly if i eat too quickly or dont chew enough i get things stuck and have to reguritate it , your still quiet early days with your band i think you just need more info on what to eat so your working with your band

Hi there...

Sorry to hear you are having troubles with your band but bringing stuff back up is not really normal and should not be happening at that frequency. It's either because you are eating too much or eating too fast, or a combination of the two.

Sorry if this sounds a little tough but you really need to cut down on fatty foods, such as hard cheese, crisps and chocolate, just because you can tolerate them does not mean you should have them unless in considered moderation. Also ready meals are loaded with hidden calories, fat and salt which may slow down the process. If you make it yourself you control what goes in. This may account for some of the weight gain.

You say you can cope with good stuff, like quorn and veg, eat more of these as they will keep you fuller longer. They will sit in your pouch longer and keep you satified. Easy food will never fully satisfy hunger.

Also make sure you have a good breakfast, I have porridge oats, no sugar, soya milk and a chopped banana to add sweetness and a dash of cinnamon. Keeps me going till lunchtime.:)

Also if you are able to eat larger portions it very possible you need more restriction, so maybe a small fill of 0.5 - 1 ml might help.

I eat just to the brink of a tight sensation and then stop immediately. I have had just three episodes of bringing my food back but that was in the early days. I don't like it happening so have learnt to stop eating, even if my plate is still half full.

Sometimes on our journies we have to reassess our eating habits and quantities. And also remember it can take quite a few fills to get to the sweet spot of good weight loss. So sit back, take stock and also find out if you can have a fill with xray, so they can see what you really need, not just second guess.

I wish you the best of luck in sorting this out.

hi watshea,
Totally sympathise. I too am in the same position. Was banded with small 10 ml band in september. Had first fill of 5 ml then second of 1.5 ml in january. The type and quantity of food i can eat varies wildly from day to day. Struggle with most meat, cannot eat bread most of the time. Fruit is a real struggle too. Most of the healthier foods i would have eaten before the band are no longer tolereated. I too find myself bringing back food most days and this worries me. I know where your coming with the crisps and chocolate thing. I can eat chocolate and crisps with no problem, but we both know that doing this on a regular basis is just sabataging our weight loss efforts and is not working with the band. That said, there are days when nothing stays down and i too will turn to those 'safe foods' because i just need to eat something. I too am not sure what to do next, i feel it is best to try to cut out chocolate, crisps and cheese for two weeks and try small portions of foods that will challenge the band. If we lose weight then a further restriction is not necessary.
Foods i eat and tolerate well on most days include:
jacket potato (no skin),
poached egg,
scrambled egg,
chili con carne,
shepherds pie,
cereal,
1/2 - 3/4 banana,
half an orange,
prawn salad,
small amount of rice,
fish cakes,
small piece of fish,
veg -peas, carrots, brocoli are tolerated well.
Hope this is helpful.
Keep us updated on how you get on. Work with the band and choose foods that challenge the band a little, after all thats how it is designed to work.
Good luck
Amanda

Thanks for the advice everyone. I know I am inflicting weight gain on myself by eating the wrong type of foods, in fact I rarely ate chocolate before. Think I crave the sensation of being able to eat so resort to fatty foods. Also, I think I must be trying to eat portions that are too large and perhaps need to chew more. I really miss my fruit and veg and quorn. I don't eat eggs or meat. After I had the band initially I didn't ever feel hungry but I frequently do now so I must be doing something wrong!Roll on my next fill.

Thanks for the advice everyone. I know I am inflicting weight gain on myself by eating the wrong type of foods, in fact I rarely ate chocolate before. Think I crave the sensation of being able to eat so resort to fatty foods. Also, I think I must be trying to eat portions that are too large and perhaps need to chew more. I really miss my fruit and veg and quorn. I don't eat eggs or meat. After I had the band initially I didn't ever feel hungry but I frequently do now so I must be doing something wrong!Roll on my next fill.

best adven on here by either cazy or liz was get a small bowl/sideplate and use that for your meals so you dont overdo it portion size is a bugger to get the hang of i still struggle if i dont use my bowl . hope you get sorted x

Back