• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

crap - im hungry, can i eat with my band

Duchess_wobbles

I was told to be on liquid after my band - a week ago.
It had been going fine and I was able to manage my liquids fine as I wasnt hungry.

Yesterday I got hungry, really hungry and I ate a sandwich which did struggle to get down but hit the hunger spot.

Was that totally wrong to do? Im guessing yes.
Can it do any damage to my band? Im hungry again today, should I have soft foods, could I have food?

Im confused, i havent had a band fill yet, am i hungry because the swelling has gone down, does the surgeon put liquid in it the as he fits the band?

It is always best to follow the instructions your own surgeon gives you. I reckon your best course of action is to contact your bariatric team and explain to them how you feel and what they think you should do next. The band is usually empty on insertion although some surgeons put a very small amount in.

My plan was different to a lot of peoples. days 1-3 were liquids only, day 4-7 soft foods and from day 7 introduce normal foods but take it easy.

But bread is probably not a good idea at this stage...some mash and gravy might be better, if you are feeling hunger.

Sorry cant help as I am a prebander just wanted to say hope you are feeling better today x

I was told to be on liquid after my band - a week ago.
It had been going fine and I was able to manage my liquids fine as I wasnt hungry.

Yesterday I got hungry, really hungry and I ate a sandwich which did struggle to get down but hit the hunger spot.

Can it do any damage to my band? Im hungry again today, should I have soft foods, could I have food?

Im confused, i havent had a band fill yet, am i hungry because the swelling has gone down, does the surgeon put liquid in it the as he fits the band?

hi, the hunger will come as the swelling from the op dissappears as the initial restriction felt is only from op swelling and that soon goes, i think its to early for bread yet, i think soft foods is best for now as caz suggested maybe mash gravy and a little mixed veg.

some surgeons do put a fill in during the op, but not all. i dont think you would of damaged your band but please becarefull as its only been a week and heavy foods to soon to often can cause a possible slip.

liz x

I am two weeks post op and only now having thicker liquidized soup.Ifill up on fluids like chicken bovril love it or options had my first yog last night. Just be careful you dont make your band slip.In the next few days will try mash and gravey.Just remember inside is still tender.

Hi I am 4 days post op and I was told to stick to liquids for 0 -3 weeks then move onto sloppies.

I sometimes have twinges of 'hunger' but find that a drink or soup etc quell that.

Did the hospital give you a post op diet sheet, if so its best to follow this to the letter. Any deviation should really be agreed by them.

Take care

Maz x

HELLO

HOPE U DONT MIND ME ADDING , WHY NOT TRY PORRIDGE, AS IT WILL KEEP U FULLER FOR LONGER, MAY HAVE TO WATER IT DOWN SO GOES DOWN SMOOTHER.........

ALL THE BEST - JULIE :p

UOTE=Duchess_wobbles;1548230]I was told to be on liquid after my band - a week ago.

Im confused, i havent had a band fill yet, am i hungry because the swelling has gone down, does the surgeon put liquid in it the as he fits the band?[/QUOTE]

i started mushie stage at week 2 and was fine with mash as others have said i also loved mashed banana and strawberrys filling and low cal

thanks everyone.

CRAP CRAP CRAP i wish i hadnt now. I phoned my coordinator and told her and she wasnt best pleased. She said I could have caused a slipage or band erosion as the surgeon sowed my band to my stomach.

I feel like crying, she said if thats happened the band has to come out. Please god one sandwich didnt ruin the rest of my life. I will be going nowhere near anything that isnt liquid again.

thanks everyone.

CRAP CRAP CRAP i wish i hadnt now. I phoned my coordinator and told her and she wasnt best pleased. She said I could have caused a slipage or band erosion as the surgeon sowed my band to my stomach.

I feel like crying, she said if thats happened the band has to come out. Please god one sandwich didnt ruin the rest of my life. I will be going nowhere near anything that isnt liquid again.

your in the very early stages and its a big lifestyle change and whats done is done, draw a line under it and move on, put it down to an experience you have now learned from.

i think soft foods will be ok a week after, mash and gravy is nice and filling, or a nice thick home made soup, i found that half a low fat cottage/ shep pie with gravy is a good option also.

if in doubt in the future please ask for advice. as we are always happy to help if we can.

liz x

Dont beat yourself up i am sure you will be fine just dont rush it i was told 2weeks liquids then 2 weeks baby type mush food then onto solids small portions and chew chew chew slow slow slow .Hope this helps. CHIN UP XXXXXX

oh god, im shaking, i am sitting crying, I cant believe i was so stupid - why the hell did i do it. I think i must have ripped the stitches, because it felt really sore and restricted as it went down.

Has anyone else ever done this?

Don't panic! It's really unlikely you have done damage from a lone mistake. Just don't do it again!! Your coordinator doesn't sound very supportive, giving you a hard time like that!

I stayed on liquids for 2 weeks then mushies for 2 weeks. Still can't eat bread now! Maybe try porridge or custard or yoghurt or something of that consistency. Go gently with your band to give your stomach chance to heal.

You'll be fine. Don't beat yourself up for what's done but learn from mistakes and start fresh!

Good luck xx

thanks - im trying to reassure myself. Im gutted though - gods alive, that could mean I paid £7500 for a sandwich!!

Hospital vary so much about how long to stay on liquids. Mine was 4 weeks liquids then purees and mash for next 4 weeks, so I know its hard going. Personally I would stay away from bread and as others have said stick to things like mash and gravy or mash with cheese.

You may also have what i call 'head hunger' I often feel hungry because I look at what I have eaten and it doesnt seem enough. So if I feel hungry at say 11am and I'm not due lunch until 12, I have a hot drink it seems to work for me! If 1/2 an hour after the hot drink I'm still hungry and its say a couple hours to a meal time then I have some fruit or if I want something savoury I have a crispbread with light philadelphia on it .

Last edited:
Back