• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Band or Bypass?

Blackcraig

I saw the doctor and psychologist on Tuesday. The doctor told me about both the band and bypass ops and all the the possible complications that can happen with both ops.

I need to make my mind up which one to go for by the time I meet the surgeon and I still haven't made my mind up and the next appointment date arrived yesterday "yikes"

Would appreciate hearing about good and bad experiences with both procedures. Thanks!

I can only give you a banders account!

Less invasive and removable! Aftercare essential as need fills post op to get to optimum performance! Can eat virtually anything in small quantities. Cakes n biscuits n chocolate etc...not an issue so have to have willpower for these! Don't have to watch sugar intake as banders don't dump! from what I see we can eat more than bypassers etc depending on where we want our fill level to be at. Eating out is easy just smaller quantities!

I know banders have a reputation of not being as successful but play by the rules and I'd totally refute that comment!

Happy deciding! :)

Both offer great results but only if you work with them, which will best depends on what kind of eating habits you have, bypass is best for volume eaters, grazwrs and those with a sweet tooth, whereas I think band is best for those with portion control issues .. hope that helps

sleeve, the happy medium xxx

Bypass keeps my portions down but dont dump!

i went for the band as the bypass idea kinda scared me,i dont regret my choice,the band is a brilliant tool if worked with properly,good luck on ur choice xx

I had the band in june 2006 and revised to bypass last year. For me it would be bypass all the way due to asortment of complications i had with the band ( and i was a lucky one) . I can eat far more healthily with the bypass, have had far greater success and feel fitter and more human . For me there is simply no comparison but of course this is just my opinion. Whilst the bypass is a bigger operation you need far more aftercare with the band and have to be fully commited to fills and defills etc. with the bypass i have stuck to all the pounch rules , had my bloods when required but have had no problems or issues at all.

I chose the band because I didn't want them rearranging my insides. I wanted the option to change my mind and have it removed or at least defilled if I needed to go back to eating "normally" for medical reasons. I think aside for these reasons the bypass would have suited me better but those reasons were too important for me. I know with the band I'll have to work harder, there's more of the dieting component which I hate but the band does take the edge off.

Portion control is a big issue for me and the band helps a lot with that, especially as I'm terrified of vomiting so I'm careful :) I'm also a grazer and sweet-food fanatic so I'll have to work on that but it doesn't seem insurmountable now that I have the band and believe that I can be a normal weight. Less comfort eating as a result!

Thanks for taking the time to answer everyone.

I think that for me the band is what I'd like done - like Thump I don't like the idea of rearranging my insides so drastically and the idea of reversing or defilling if it should be medically necessary is somewhat reassuring.

Back