• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Band ... or wait for bypass??? Please help ...

kimgkg

Hi Guys :)

I was referred back in April, by my Diabetic Consultant, to Mr Paul Super at Heartlands, as funding has been agreed for a gastric band. However, when I went to the support group I was told by MANY to ask for a bypass rather than a band. So hubby and I went and saw Mr Super yesterday. He explained the band procedure, and was really good about it, and when I explained that I would like to know more about the bypass, he explained that I will have to have another appointment with Mr Kumar. He also explained that although I have funding for a gastric band, I need to check with my PCT whether they will fund a gastric bypass. :(

He also explained that if I went for the band I could have it in three months ... if I waited for Mr Kumar I would have to get the funding, wait for an appointment with Mr Kumar and then wait on his waiting list ... which he didn't know how long.

So, I contacted my PCT who explained that my consultant has to send in an Independent Funding Referral explaining why I should have a bypass rather than a band, although they do usually recommend the band as the bypass has so many other complications!!! :confused:

Therefore coming home was a very subdued Kim and a hubby, bless him, that says he will support me whatever I do. :cry:

This morning I have had a chat with the Heartlands Team Co-ordinator who explained that it would be at least another couple of months before I could see Mr Kumar, and his waiting list following that (providing I could get the funding for a bypass) would be another 6 to 9 months at least. :sigh:

Alternatively I could have the band in three months!!!

I know its my decision, and either way it has to be a change in my thoughts and behaviour, however I would welcome any thoughts, views and comments based on your experiences ... as I really would like to make an informed choice rather than just accepting what I am being offered. :)

Thank you

Kim xx

hi Kim
i think a good look at what type of eater you are plays a big role.... if you like your sweets, chocolate, ice cream and what not then maybe the best option for you is a bypass, as it is designed to help you stop eating high sugary foods, if you are more of a "big eater" then the band is better for you.... remember chocolate, ice cream and the like are easily fitted down through the band, which doesnt help with your weight loss...either way you need to work at it with both...both requires dedication and hard work.... i had my first and second band before my surgeon and i both realised that it was the wrong decision for me ... in hindsight i wish i had a bypass to begin with to save me from having four surgeries prior to my bypass (1st band in, then out, 2nd band in,then out) ...if you think a bypass is best for you, then look into it and wait for it..surely at the end of the day 1 surgery +recovery is better than 2?? this is just my opinion, hope it helps, sending love and wishes for a quick and right decision for you xxxxx

I agree with Shannon. Its not very helpful to you that they agreed funding for a band without really checking if thats what you want.

Success with a band does vary and usually suits volume eaters (without a sweet tooth) better, also those with a little less weight to lose.

Be honest with yourself about your eating habbits and do some more research. Out of interest how much are you hoping to lose? x

Hi Shannon
Thank you for your comments. When we went to see Paul Super, and subsequently the dietitian, with two other prospective candidates, no one asked what sort of eater I am. In fact no one has asked anything about me and my life and why I think I have got this big. So, I really am grateful to you for bringing this to my attention.
I am a sweetie, ice cream and milk shake eater ... drinker! In fact my favourite food is probably stuff that goes down easily ... cottage pie, jelly and ice cream etc. I just never thought about that side of it. I also am a big eater, too.

I really appreciate your comments ... it gives me more to think about.

I really hope it all works out for you this time ... do let me know.

Kim xx

I think you've probably got your answer right now after thinking about your eating habits.

I have to say i saw Mr Super about 6 years ago, i loved (still do :( ) sweet stuff, and volume foods, and i was the take away lazy cook. I weighed about 22 stone then, Mr S recommended the bypass even though i wanted the band originally but i took his advice and decided to do bypass. Unfortunately i put it off until last year and wasted a few quality years but hey ho...

Personally knowing what i knew before i eventually followed my dream, i would have happily waited for my bypass however long it took. I have a friend who was banded and is now waiting for a sleeve, she has lost around 10stone with her band however for other reasons is being converted...

hth xx

I know Dudley PCT isn't funding bands now due to cost of aftercare and problems with the band its self

I personally admire the work that all banders put into making the band work for them. I for one couldn't have worked with a band

lamornamiss said:
I know Dudley PCT isn't funding bands now due to cost of aftercare and problems with the band its self

I personally admire the work that all banders put into making the band work for them. I for one couldn't have worked with a band

I was told that at my recent check up. Makes sense.
xXx

Well, Mazza, I am 5'4" and 287 lbs ... So 9/10 stone would be fantastic ... don't think I have been that weight since I was born!!! :D

xx

Good luck Kim, its such a big decison but I hope you make the right one for you x

I originally went asking for a band, then after more research and finding out the revision rates for a band i decided i wanted a sleeve, when I saw my endocrinologist who is also my diabetitian he said the bypass offered the best chance of my diabetes being resolved. I'd ask more questions if I were you and while I know it is tempting to rush in and have a band, your food choices are all slider foods that bandsters can easily cheat with. If it were me I'd wait the extra 20 odd weeks! In fact I am having a bypass in about 3 months time after a 23 month wait. Whatever you decide, i wish you luck. x

Hello I was told by my Doctor that you can loss the weight you want with the bypass in 18 months and with the band it would take 5 years for he same amount of weight

Yes they are still funding the bypass and the sleeve
Which pct are you under kim?

Worcestershire PCT.

When I saw Mr Super, the gentleman before me (also from Worcestershire) had apparently been on the list for a bypass last year, however the Worcestershire PCT then said he could only get funding for a band. Both the gentleman and Mr Super told me that, which is why when I mentioned a bypass to Mr Super he said that I would have to check if I could get funding.

When I rang Worcestershire PCT they said they couldn't tell me, my consultant would have to put through a IFR, however they did say they normally funded bands!

I've not even considered the sleeve as I know nothing about it.

I think you should do some more research and talk to your consultant. Also find out what your pct guidelines are, you can usually google this information. The BOSPA web site gives good info on different types of surgery including gastric sleeve. None of these options should be entered into lightly, you should go and see the doctor fully informed if you can. Good luck x

Thanks, Marie. I have found out the PCT guidelines, as such, ie over a certain bmi they will fund bariatric surgery etc., but they don't state in their if it is just band. And when I spoke to them, they stated that they couldn't give me that info ... it had to come from my consultant. However, I spoke with my diabetic consultant's secretary this morning, and she is going to do some research on my behalf and will come back to me in a couple of days. She appears to understand the concerns I have, and is going to come back to me before I go back to see my diabetic consultant in a couple of weeks.

It all seems to point towards the bypass for me!! Just going to keep everything crossed now ... which I would, but need to lose weight before I can get one limb or other extremity over another!!! :)

Kim the bypass has fabulous results in eradicating your need for diabetic meds really quickly. I am diabetes type 2 and i was off my 1500mgs of metformin within 6 weeks of surgery. This is a big deal for you as i'm guessing they're pushing it too take control of your diabetes.

Good luck and keep us posted xx

Mr super gave me the same decision back on the 11th July...
He is really pro band and truly believes if you work with it you can make it work x
He has a man on his books who lost 20 stone in 2 years and still going!! Wow

I decided I would go with the band after being certain it's was the bypass all the way!!
He convinced me that because I had a small child and would like more kids this is the safest way to go..... And his team will support me all the way :0))

I have my date for the op on the 6 th September which is 4 months in total from referral from my GP to pct...... On (28april2011)

I am now on my pre op diet and totally happy I have made the right choice for me ....
You will make a decision but I agree it will be tough :0(
Xxxx
Birmingham have been fantastic x

Back