• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Band ... or wait for bypass??? Please help ...

Hi Kim, :)I think the bypass is a better option for diabetics & even though you must be very disappointed, in the long run the wait would be worth it. Chin up & good luck with whatever you decide x

Kim the bypass has fabulous results in eradicating your need for diabetic meds really quickly. I am diabetes type 2 and i was off my 1500mgs of metformin within 6 weeks of surgery. This is a big deal for you as i'm guessing they're pushing it too take control of your diabetes.

Good luck and keep us posted xx

Yes, the diabetes not being under control is one of the problems ... I'm on 2000mgs of metformin + pioglitazide + 180 units insulin per day. I really think its preferable for me to wait.

Hoping to be as successful as you!!! xxx :)

Mr super gave me the same decision back on the 11th July...
He is really pro band and truly believes if you work with it you can make it work x
He has a man on his books who lost 20 stone in 2 years and still going!! Wow

I decided I would go with the band after being certain it's was the bypass all the way!!
He convinced me that because I had a small child and would like more kids this is the safest way to go..... And his team will support me all the way :0))

I have my date for the op on the 6 th September which is 4 months in total from referral from my GP to pct...... On (28april2011)

I am now on my pre op diet and totally happy I have made the right choice for me ....
You will make a decision but I agree it will be tough :0(
Xxxx
Birmingham have been fantastic x

Sara-Louise, by the sound of it you have definitely made the right decision for you ... and I wish you every success ... which with your mindset I am sure you will succeed all the way!

I'm past the having kids stage now :) and looking at what my eating patterns are ie wanting to be a big kid and eat stuff that goes down easily ... oooohhh give me that jelly and ice cream that I can mash up and let it slide down :eek: ... I think the bypass is probably the way I need to go, if I can. I'd love to say its not the amount I eat ... its what I eat ... but having seen what all these successful post-oppers are eating, then its the amount I eat as well as what I eat!! :sigh:

Are you going to the support group at Heartlands? They are all so lovely and supportive ... I'm going to try and get there next Wednesday!! Hope to see you then??

xxx

What a great thread! I was originally opposed to a bypass and wanted a band. But, like many of you I am the volume eater! I saw how a friend struggled with endless fills and loses which turned into gains when she figured out the milk shakes and chocolate wouldn't make her sick. She told me if she could go back she would have the bypass. This is a great site because there are so many different types of surgery and pretty much you will find someone with the info you are looking for.
Good luck with whatever you decide!

I went to my GP and Weight Management clinic firmly set on having a band as I thought the bypass was too drastic. However, I hadnt educated myself about either. Luckily I found this site and the whole process took soooo long that I had plenty of time to research and the bypass was hands down the best option for me!

I feel so lucky that I didnt go for the band because I know it would not have worked for me. Like someone has already said I really admire all the banders who work so hard and get great results but I am weak! I love sweet foods, cakes, chocolate, biscuits and was a very lazy cook lived on take aways, huge volumes!

I dont know if I will dump on sweet foods as I havent tried yet but do remember not everyone dumps... I am scared to try in case I am one of the non dumpers and it opens up the candy shop again for me. If I try sweet foods again it will be a few months down the line when I am closer to my target.

The wait will be worthwhile to get the procedure you want, this could be a once in a lifetime opportunity so I would say make sure you get what you want first time. Wiishing you the very best of luck with whatever you decide and keep coming on here we will get you through the long wait xxx

I agree with all that has been said but dont count on losing 9-10 stone.You are about the same size and height I was pre op.I have lost 5st in 5 months with the bypass and feel great at size 16 loads of energy and using a gym!I was told I could achieve 60-70% loss of my excess weight and keep it off long term.Best of luck whickever you decide.Maz x

hiya love i had a gastric bypass at castle hill hull in febuary 2010 my consultant was dr sedman he is fantastic .. it was the best thing i have ever done in my life i have lost 13 stone and now i have just found out that im 2 months pregnant which me and my husband as been trying for 10 yrs im well excited ... hope u make the right choice and good look

Like many I thought band at first but decided on a bypass, due to sweet binges, large portions, slider foods. Also my surgeon was pro bypass for me due to T2 diabetes. I wasn't too bad, but no metformin since the op, so that is good news. And I have been lucky, no complications at all, not even felt sick yet... Good luck with whatever you decide.

Hi Guys
Thanks so much for your support, guidance, suggestions and good wishes!! Going through each and every comment I am so pleased to see so many of you losing the weight you want to lose ... in whichever way you feel is right for you!
I think I have made my decision and have an appointment with Mr Kumar at Birmingham on 26th September. I have also been told that I have funding agreed!!! :)
Then I have to go through the journey so many you are on, or are waiting to go on, like me.
I really want to thank you all for your advice because you are the ones that have given me the information to make an informed choice, which unfortunately, I didn't feel I was given by the NHS, to date.

Keep going everyone ... I love to hear of everyone's success ... puts a big smile on my face!!! xxx

I also wanted the band at first, I didn't even know there were other options of wls. I was offered the money to have it done by a friend 18 months ago, I am so pleased I said no as for me the band would have failed. I am a milkshake and sweets girl at heart. Now I have had a lot of help from the hospital process and have done loads of research I know the bypass is the best choice for me. I am T2 diabetic too, only on metformin. I also know that most diabetics don't dump post op so I am going to try not to every test it out!
Good luck with whatever you decide. xx

Back