• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

band to bypass & arthritis

Beth68

Hi I'm Beth and I had a gastic band in 2009 and its not worked. Mr Ammori wants to do a bypass and I've been putting it off but I am now thinking again about it. I have just been told that I have grade 4 arthritis in both kness. Will the bypass help or will I still be in so much pain even if I get the weight off. I'm in so much pain I just don't know what to do. I see Mr Ammori on Thursday afternoon and need to decide asap on what to do.

Paula Garner

Any weight you can get off will help relieve pressure on your knees. A bypass would be a good option for you. No one can say if you'll be pain free, but it will alleviate a lot of it.

caz56

Hi I'm Beth and I had a gastic band in 2009 and its not worked. Mr Ammori wants to do a bypass and I've been putting it off but I am now thinking again about it. I have just been told that I have grade 4 arthritis in both kness. Will the bypass help or will I still be in so much pain even if I get the weight off. I'm in so much pain I just don't know what to do. I see Mr Ammori on Thursday afternoon and need to decide asap on what to do.

Hi Beth,

I have osteoarthritis in both knees and have been told that I need total knee replacements for both. When I first went about my knees I was told I was too young, when the pain became so bad I went again and was told I was too heavy. Although a few drs had suggested to me to consider gastric surgery in the past I always said that I could lose weight on my own!! It was the orthopaedic surgeon who suggested it again. This time,being in so much pain I looked into it. I had a gastric bypass last October and have lost nearly 7 stone. The pain in my knees is still constant when moving but moving is so much easier. I can walk much further, walk around the house with no crutches and do so much more. I only take paracetamol for the pain so that's another improvement. If I had not had my bypass I think by now I would not have been able to move and would be sitting all day wasting my life away. For me it has been very beneficial. Good luck with your decision and I hope it works out well for you.

Beth68

Thank you so much you're message has helped me so much. I need a knee replacement on my right knee and I am now having the same trouble with my left knee. I have been told I'm to young for a knee replacement and that I need to lose weight. I just hope I meet the criteria for a bypass.