• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Band to sleev revision

Mandie37

hi all.

I had my band removed on Monday and revised to a sleeve. I knew that there would be a possibility of adhesions from the band but never imagined I would need 7 different procedures to put things right. Only today do I feel able to sit and post about it. I was told my band had slipped for the second time and told in no uncertain terms that it needed to be removed. I have suffered with the band since the first slip 4 years ago and with hindsight should have revised rather than had the band repositioned . It has been by far the worst thing I could have done. Two and a half years of constant reflux sickness and being unable to eat healthy food and living on slider food. No weight loss at all but more or less maintained but pretty much didn't eat for weeks and months at a time. I craved healthy food but my band wouldn't allow it. To cut a very long story short it was removed on Monday. Thankfully my surgeon who has been amazing repaired my osophegous which was stretched to 4cm , released the capsule and repaired a huge hernia . He couldn't take away a small part of my stomach because it had been damaged by the band so he left a wider part at the top because he didn't think it was safe and that I would bleed . He did however plicate that area which basically will mimic a complete sleeve. I woke up on Monday afternoon in complete agony and knew something had happened . However today after not being able to swallow due to horrendous pain I feel better and more normal. I can't tell anybody how relieved I am that the band is gone. It really has been the worst thing I have ever done and no weight loss either after the first slip. I know there are people out there that have had success and that's great but for me it's 5 years of my life that were terribly hard and I regret. I'm hoping my new journey with the sleeve will be a better one .

I am happy for you that this has hopefully been sorted and you can look forward to getting back to more normal healthy eating! Hope you recover well - rest and take your time, it sounds like your body has been through the mill!

Bless you, I hope you feel even better soon.

I had my band removed and then a sleeve nine months later, to allow my stomach and oesophagus time to heal.

I haven't regretted it for a second, even in those first few difficult days after surgery.

Here's to a happy and healthy future :hugs:xx

Back