• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Gastric band to gastric sleeve revision surgery

Myz24

Hiya,

Hoping somebody can help. Has anybody had this surgery?

If so, how was it? Did it work? Recovery?

Sorry for all the questions, I am asking for my mum who had a gastric band the same date as me in December and has had nothing but trouble with it ever since. She has already had surgery as her port had completely flipped over and now they cannot fill it at all.

She is now looking into a sleeve as she has (quite rightly) had enough!

Hi there,

I'm due to have revision surgery from band to either sleeve or bypass in October time. I know other people on the forums have already had it done so I'm busy doing my research. Hope some of them will get in touch for you xx

I have had band to sleeve revision surgery. My op was only last week so no experience yet to share apart from recovery is going really well so far. Can let you know how it goes in a few weeks if its of any help.

I had band, to sleeve, to bypass. My only advice if she decides to go with the sleeve, is make sure they check that any scar tissue left from the band ( if she has any) isn't blocking the food from going into her stomach. That's what happened to me so I kind of wish I had just gone band to bypass! It's all great now, 4 weeks post op and no probs whatsoever. Good luck xx

I have had a band to bypass surgery 8 weeks ago. i was advised thatthere was a possibility that they may have had to have my band removed and then go back six months later for bypass if there was alot of scar tissue. fortunately they did both procedures in one go andi am absolutely fine. i have lost 30lbs and have none of the discomfort i had with the band i can eat normally small portions and no vomiting or pain sogo for it it will be worth it

Does anyone think band/sleeve or band/bypass is better? If anyone could let me know there experiences? My mum is totally fed up and she said this is the last time she is having anything done so she wants to make sure it is right! Also she will have to change surgeon from mr hewin to mr sigurdson anybody had him? She is at an all time low at the moment (having bipolar) and just want her to have as much info as possible x

In my opinion i think band to bypass is the best option because if the sleeve fails then they may consider converting to bypass so to avoid the possibility of another op which i am sure with your mams bipolar would cause her even more distress. my husband suffers from bipolar so i do understand the condition but at the end of the day the surgeon decides which is best as there are medical reasons why they decide. i was done at sunderland royal and donot know the surgeon you mentioned hope it works out ok

Does anyone think band/sleeve or band/bypass is better? If anyone could let me know there experiences? My mum is totally fed up and she said this is the last time she is having anything done so she wants to make sure it is right! Also she will have to change surgeon from mr hewin to mr sigurdson anybody had him? She is at an all time low at the moment (having bipolar) and just want her to have as much info as possible x

If she is adamant she is having no more surgery, I would advise band to bypass. I can't tell you how much easier eating is for me now. I just wish I had done it sooner x

Thanks for replying! How long did the revision surgery take? I've read that the band needs to be totally deflated before surgery, that can't happen for her as they cannot access her port at all! She has got some in from surgery x

im currently on waiting list for band to bypass but they do warn if there is a lot of scaring or bowel adhesions it may have to be band to sleeve . I cant wait I don't think her band would have to be emptied befor tho especially if they cant acsess her port

Ok thank you! Will the scar tissue etc.. Depend on how long you've had the band in or is that irrelevant? Sorry for all the questions! Hope yours goes well :) x

Hi
I had Sigurdsson (THG) for my band first time around. He is lovely and very helpful.
Just an advice if your Mum wants a sleeve or a bypass and Mr Sigurdsson, he has his own company where he charges thousands of pounds LESS then the Hospital Group. (lapbanduk)

Band to bypass for me too. Wish I'd done it sooner. I had the band 10 months in total. I had mine emptied 3 weeks before the procedure. Make sure your surgeon is experienced in revision surgery. I had mine done at the same time.

But...... now I have a new set of problems with the bypass. So just because that 'thing' is out of you doesn't mean it will be all easy. I'm focussing on the long term picture rather than short term.

Hi
I had Sigurdsson (THG) for my band first time around. He is lovely and very helpful.
Just an advice if your Mum wants a sleeve or a bypass and Mr Sigurdsson, he has his own company where he charges thousands of pounds LESS then the Hospital Group. (lapbanduk)

Thank you! Well she's in the process of trying to sort out costings as she's never had a fill since she's had it, had nothing but trouble with it (through no fault of her own) so hopefully they will sort it out if not I will let her know about that! D you still have the band?xx

Band to bypass for me too. Wish I'd done it sooner. I had the band 10 months in total. I had mine emptied 3 weeks before the procedure. Make sure your surgeon is experienced in revision surgery. I had mine done at the same time.

But...... now I have a new set of problems with the bypass. So just because that 'thing' is out of you doesn't mean it will be all easy. I'm focussing on the long term picture rather than short term.

Hope your ok and things get better for you soon! What sort of problems are you having (if you don't mind me asking)! She's had her band for 7months now and put weight on if anything..the band is definitely right for some people (me being one of them) but unfortunately not for her! She's just fed up now xx

The band works, you have to change your lifestyle to fit the rules. I lost 35kg with it. My problems were with the port which hurt like hell to I had it released then it moved and made me feel sick. I could flip mine over and back again - what a party trick.

I am still on fluids with the bypass as have has issues, but not really pain. Constant sickness, nausea and extreme exhaustion.

The scarring I had from the band was horrible and am glad I chose the bypass not the sleeve as if I have a problem they have more stomach left inside me to play with in the future.

Are you getting a package revision price from your provider. Maybe look further afield to surgeons that people goto when they have had problems. But you will pay :)

Thanks for replying! How long did the revision surgery take? I've read that the band needs to be totally deflated before surgery, that can't happen for her as they cannot access her port at all! She has got some in from surgery x

I had it all done in one when I had my sleeve. I then had to have my sleeve converted to a bypass 6 months later. They couldn't deflate my band either because my port had completely flipped but I only had 2ml in there before my op. I don't think it would matter if it wasn't deflated first. X

Hi

Yes, I still have the band. I am not saying it is an easy option, but after 14 months I am trying to make the most of it. Got to bmi 24 from bmi 33, so I am happy.

Back