• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Band to sleeve

mushof

Hi all,

I am new to this despite having had previous weight loss surgery. I was originally banded privately in December 2008 and for the first year it seemed to be going extremely well. I lost 5 stone in 12 months and my surgeon and dietician said I was achieving far more than expected. As I had the surgery privately I was only given 1 year aftercare and by the time this was up I was still struggling to eat normal foods but was reassured that over time this would improve. It never improved and I continued not to be able to eat proper solid foods without it getting stuck and causing pain and discomfort. I slowly started to regain weight as I found the only things that went through were high calorie and in turn my bad habits and emotional eating returned as I struggled with the band.

Eventually I was referred through the NHS to have the band removed. This was taken out in April 2015 and it was such a relief. I was asked about further surgery at the time and was adamant that I didn’t want to have anymore and so attempted to make the changes on my own. I remained under the bariatric team and had regular dietician appointments where I was regularly asked if I still felt the same.

After regaining all of my band weight lost (and some extra!!) I finally caved in July and asked to be considered for further surgery. I have attended appointments with the team since that and found out today that I have been approved for further surgery. I know I now have to attend a surgical options group but that this is a formality as I have already been told it will be a gastric sleeve that I have.

It would be great to hear from anyone else who has had a similar experience to me as I am concerned with the permanent nature of the sleeve. If I found myself with similar issues to those I experienced with the band it would be awful. The one thing that always kept me going with the band was knowing it might not be forever.

Looking forward to hearing other experiences and in particular from anyone who has been treated by the Coventry and Mr Menon.

Last edited:
Hello @mushof :D

Fellow Coventry patient under Mr Menon here!

I also had my band removed and now have a sleeve.

Yes the surgical options appointments are going through the motions but you must attend them all, otherwise you get booted from the list. I met some lovely people at the meetings who I still keep in touch with now.

So far life with the sleeve is good, I've had no issues with vomiting, food getting stuck etc but if you want to know anything else just shout up :)

Hi and welcome, I hope you don't have to wait too long x

Thanks for the welcome!

Mazza what was your experience with the band? How long have you had the sleeve? I am happy to attend the appointments....want to get as much info as possible! Also hoping I can take my husband so he can understand a bit more. I had the band before I met him but he has been with me through the bad times and is very nervous about more surgery!

Its a very long story, so I'll try to be brief!

I had my band in April 2009, lost most of my weight with no fill and all of it within 18 months. Fast forward to three years ago I found a lump in my stomach and I was being sick if I bent over. The lump was (still is) a hernia where my intestines (and/or bowel) are coming through my torn muscle wall. The sickness was reflux.

After lots of back and forth they decided on a three stage approach I had my band emptied, intensive course of omeprazol as the sickness had caused oesophagitus. Band removed a year later, then nine months later, September 15th I had my sleeve.

So I've had my sleeve two and a half months and eventually will have my hernia repaired, got to lose the weight first though.

Yes take your hubby, it will really help him understand what your going through and lots of people took someone with them, so not an issue xx

Wow sounds like you've had a heck of a journey! I hope that the sleeve works out to be the answer for you, I will look forward to keeping an eye on your progress over the coming months! X

Welcome :) I chose the sleeve because it was permanent. So far so good... A bonus is that the part of the stomach that has the hunger hormone cells - ghellin, is removed, so a lot less hunger.

My only concern with the permanent aspect is because of the problems I had with the band. I would feel very desperate if I had the same problems with the sleeve and couldn't do anything about it. If it all works perfectly then it's fine that it would be permanent!

I hadn't realised about the hunger hormone but have read about it in the last couple of days, that sounds like a great bonus.

How long have you had the sleeve for Sam55? Do you have any regrets?

My only concern with the permanent aspect is because of the problems I had with the band. I would feel very desperate if I had the same problems with the sleeve and couldn't do anything about it. If it all works perfectly then it's fine that it would be permanent!

I hadn't realised about the hunger hormone but have read about it in the last couple of days, that sounds like a great bonus.

How long have you had the sleeve for Sam55? Do you have any regrets?
3 months and no regrets at all. My diabetic glucose levels have gone from 54 2 days before op (high) and on meds, to 41 (normal) 3 weeks ago. I have more energy, have lost 3 stone with my sleeve, my knees (one which needs replacing) are less stiff and I am able to walk 2 miles instead of 20 yards.

I did a lot of research (including people's sleeve and band experiences on here) on the different methods as i had been invited to take part in the By-Band study and wanted to know what I might be letting myself in for as it was random. I felt I wanted the sleeve, and in the end I wasn't able to have a by-pass because of a hernia so couldn't take part, which in the end was a relief!

All went very well and the only real problem I had post-op that hung around was constipation. I know further down the line there could be nutritional deficiency problems so I make sure I follow the guidelines. Having had digestive problems in the past that necessitated being careful of my diet, I am finding that I can eat foods now that I couldn't eat before, such as red meat, and those I shouldn't have ate like chocolate and cake I don't fancy anymore.

I need to lose 10 stone to get my knee done and this is going to allow me to do it. Why would I want to return to what I had?

Hello and welcome.
I had my sleeve nearly 7 months ago and like @SAM55 choose it because it was permanent and I wouldn't be left with a blind stomach. I have no regrets, it's been life changing for me in a very positive way. Good luck with your journey x

Hello and welcome.
I had my sleeve nearly 7 months ago and like @SAM55 choose it because it was permanent and I wouldn't be left with a blind stomach. I have no regrets, it's been life changing for me in a very positive way. Good luck with your journey x
Thanks FeeBee, it is very reassuring to hear from so many who have no regrets. Positively life changing is definitely what I'm after and the more I read other people's stories and successes the more convinced I am that this will be it for me too! :D

@mushof i am a newbie sleeved of 5 weeks but I have heard the exact story you have told. I actually thought you were the lady who was in the bed next to me! She had her band removed the same day I was sleeved.
She lost 8 stone but quickly as she could not get food down her, was vomiting water up even some days! But she too started to regain weight as could not eat healthy foods like salad and meat and was have things that dissolved in mouth like chocolate and icecream. She was in horrendous pain every day.
The surgeon told her it was the tightest band he had ever seen! No wonder the poor woman couldn't eat! She too went private had 1 year then nothing but major problems.
She is now under NHS and she thought she could manage to do it herself but after returning to normal eating after removal of band she is putting weight on fast and is now going for sleeve. The difference I see it is there is no tight band that can cause these issues with food going down, but stomach smaller for as long as rules are stuck too.
Don't get me wrong it can be hard and some of us have problems post op or long term but I know I was heading for a heart attack soon and this is saving my life despite ups and downs. Your story just mirrors this lady in hospital bed next to me....you are not alone in your story.

@mushof i am a newbie sleeved of 5 weeks but I have heard the exact story you have told. I actually thought you were the lady who was in the bed next to me! She had her band removed the same day I was sleeved.
She lost 8 stone but quickly as she could not get food down her, was vomiting water up even some days! But she too started to regain weight as could not eat healthy foods like salad and meat and was have things that dissolved in mouth like chocolate and icecream. She was in horrendous pain every day.
The surgeon told her it was the tightest band he had ever seen! No wonder the poor woman couldn't eat! She too went private had 1 year then nothing but major problems.
She is now under NHS and she thought she could manage to do it herself but after returning to normal eating after removal of band she is putting weight on fast and is now going for sleeve. The difference I see it is there is no tight band that can cause these issues with food going down, but stomach smaller for as long as rules are stuck too.
Don't get me wrong it can be hard and some of us have problems post op or long term but I know I was heading for a heart attack soon and this is saving my life despite ups and downs. Your story just mirrors this lady in hospital bed next to me....you are not alone in your story.
I was hoping to hear I wasn't alone in my experience when I posted this and maybe even hear from someone who has gone on to have the sleeve and been successful but that sounds identical to my issues and yes there were days when I too couldn't get water down. On one occasion I ended up in a and e after not managing barely a drink for almost two days.

Glad to hear you are also doing well with the sleeve, every comment reassures me that little bit more! :rainbow:

Back