• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Band troubles and future options..

Marie1986

Im ready to start my life
Hi there. It's been a while since I was last here.
I'm 5 years into banding and last year I underwent some tests as to why I had no restriction and my band was losing saline.
After an xray and an internal examination. There was no cause found. I was just simply missing 6 mls of fluid.
Now 12 months on.. my saline has disappeared again.. so I'm back to an xray and then way up my options. So what I'm asking is.. has anyone else been through this and if so.. what's your thoughts.. I've been given the choices of bypass or sleeve.

Background.. I lost 10 stone with the band and I know how to work with it. But it just simply doesn't want to play anymore!

Morning, the band must be leaking somewhere, if you put fluid in it cant just disappear. Saline fluid wont harm you but like you say you wont have any restriction once the fluid has gone. I would imagine if its a small leak it would be very hard to detect as to where it is. I have no advice about what you should do but I hope you get this sorted.

Hi Marie, sorry that you have been having problems with your band. I don't have any experience of that so I am no help to you. Are you being offered the other ops on the NHS? If so, I would say go for it - but it depends on whether you want permanent physical change?

Hi I had band problems they couldn't fix I've recently converted to the sleeve and am happy with it hope you get sorted x

Hi I had band problems they couldn't fix I've recently converted to the sleeve and am happy with it hope you get sorted x

I thought I'd missed those band woes until 12 months ago!
Glad to hear your doing well!

Hi Marie, sorry that you have been having problems with your band. I don't have any experience of that so I am no help to you. Are you being offered the other ops on the NHS? If so, I would say go for it - but it depends on whether you want permanent physical change?
Yes I'm NHS funded.. so the world's my oyster so to speak as it's a potential fault on their behalf. I'm just curious to the difference in lifestyle with say a sleeve as opposed to the band. Like I say I've experienced no problems until this bizarre missing saline!!

Morning, the band must be leaking somewhere, if you put fluid in it cant just disappear. Saline fluid wont harm you but like you say you wont have any restriction once the fluid has gone. I would imagine if its a small leak it would be very hard to detect as to where it is. I have no advice about what you should do but I hope you get this sorted.
Hiya. Thanks for your reply. It's a mystery... it makes me wonder whether it's been there since last year? But who knows..

Yes I'm NHS funded.. so the world's my oyster so to speak as it's a potential fault on their behalf. I'm just curious to the difference in lifestyle with say a sleeve as opposed to the band. Like I say I've experienced no problems until this bizarre missing saline!!
Hi personally I think the sleeve is the next nearest you'll get to a band and to be honest for me it has been easier so far I can tolerate all food types in small portions and feel full in the stomach rather than the chest I've had no sickness or pb ing with the sleeve although if I overindulge I get a bit of diaoreah (dumping) if you go for the bypass you'll prob have to avoid certain food types etc I looked at both options with my surgeon and a lot of it is personal choice and perhaps take into account how much weight you have left to loose. Good luck x

Hi personally I think the sleeve is the next nearest you'll get to a band and to be honest for me it has been easier so far I can tolerate all food types in small portions and feel full in the stomach rather than the chest I've had no sickness or pb ing with the sleeve although if I overindulge I get a bit of diaoreah (dumping) if you go for the bypass you'll prob have to avoid certain food types etc I looked at both options with my surgeon and a lot of it is personal choice and perhaps take into account how much weight you have left to loose. Good luck x
Thats great insight. Thank you.. I roughly have around 26kgs left to lose in order to reach my 'ideal' weight.. my weight has fluctuated since not having my band to lean on.. Good luck with your journey! I didn't think I'd be doing this 5 years later.. Round 2 here we come! ;)

Thank you neither did I similar weight to loose I personally think you'll be fine with the sleeve third time lucky for me as I tried a band reposition 12 months ago don't want any more ops lol Good luck to you too x

I have a band with a suspected pressure leak, and in almost 4 years and after so many fills I've never been able to find or get restriction. Now further to some issues after having it emptied for other surgeries at request of NHS doc who has failed to sort it out post surgery as they promised I'm now hooked for self funded MGB revision on July 1st. Having investigated and with restriction issues I was advise to go along a route with malabsorption and restriction and although there was a suggestion of restraining band and having bypass I'm having band removed and the MGB instead.

I have a band with a suspected pressure leak, and in almost 4 years and after so many fills I've never been able to find or get restriction. Now further to some issues after having it emptied for other surgeries at request of NHS doc who has failed to sort it out post surgery as they promised I'm now hooked for self funded MGB revision on July 1st. Having investigated and with restriction issues I was advise to go along a route with malabsorption and restriction and although there was a suggestion of restraining band and having bypass I'm having band removed and the MGB instead.
Hiya top kat.
Im sorry to hear you too are having troubles!
Sounds like a really intense time you're having.
Can I ask. Were you NHS funded for your band?

Hi Marie,

No, The NHS would not assist for any weight loss surgery and so I privately funded, just as they won't help me now as my band was done privately so I am having to go private for my MGB revision

Back