• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Considering my Options

great news Rach - at least he has agreed to refer you hun. Do all the research you can before your appointment so you already have an idea of which surgery is going to be best for you. xx

Well I have to confess I didn't think I would get anywhere on the NHS, but I had a phone call from the surgery this morning to say, that they would refer me and did I want to pop down and pick up the paper work?? (was there like a shot!)

I now have an appt at Coventry University Hospital (anyone been there?) on 6th October. As far as I can figure out, WLS is carried out at the private hospital (Meriden Hospital - BMI Healthcare)

I have to say I am completly staggered. I never imagined that 24 hours after my appointment with my dr I would have an appointment to go to the cinic. Am amazed, and delighted at the same time.

xxx

Thats fab news Rach, I think one lady from Northants was referred to Walsgrave (as it used to be known) for a band. Will try and remember her name but I dont think she has been posting for a while.

I wish you all the best but when I went to my doc's in Bedworth (now live in Coventry) he said no one from Bedworth had ever had NHS WLS because of the strict criteria for Warwickshire. They may put you on the 1 year weight management programme at the appointment but at least its a step in right direction eh.

Good luck, not long to wait for the appointment x

WOW Rach... thats fantastic news hun. Am really pleased for you.

Hi rach, and welcome.
I was referred to a Weight Loss Clinic from my GP Surgery.
Had to visit them once a month for 6mth, then she passed me over to the hospital. She said my funding was guarenteed as soon as she passed me over. My Local Hospital has a one-stop appointment afternoon, where you are shown a slide show with a Diet Nurse, speaking about the procedures offered (Band, Bypass). The i went in to see one of the Consultants, who asked which type of surgery i was considering? I told him i wanted the bypass and explained my reasons. (Sweet Tooth, fear of diabetes - family history).
He agreed the bypass would be the better option for me. From him, i went in to see the Surgeon - Mr Ammori. He was really nice, said he agreed about me having the bypass. Gave me a couple of booklets about the post diet and surgery procedure and sent me off to have bloods taken. I had an app to see the pshycologist the following Monday, which went fine, she approved me fit for surgery (Wasn't some mental case - thank god) ;)
I am now waiting to attend my Sleep Study app (2wk away), where i will be given a peice of equipment to take home and wear thru the night, taking it back the following morning. Then the big wait for surgery date!!!!
I do hope your quest for funding on the NHS pays off, but as some ppl say - its a post code lottery!!
Keep us updated, i will keep reading your journey.
Good Luck. x

Hi guys!

Had my appointment today re WLS Appointment couldn't have gone better. My Dr (gorgeous lovely Dr Anwar) was brilliant, did all the height and weight checks, blood pressure, heart and so on. We spoke at length about my previous attempts at dieting, how I ate, what I eat, what results I'd like.

His conclusion is that a band is the better option for me (which is what I had my fingers crossed for) and is making appointments for me to see a dietician and also a psychologist (for as he put it "not to check that you're bonkers" but to make sure I'm able to cope with a big lifestyle change)

I then had to go and have some bloods taken just so they could check everything out. That took longer than the appt! Plus the waiting room was full of slightly bonkers people - I hope it wasn't catching.

I'm in the system now, and he is going to fight for this for me (I'm sure they tell everyone that though) and all being well, in a years time it should all be done and dusted. Although - I have to confess to being a little Miss Impatient Pants, I want it done NOW!!!!!

Happy girl here!

xxx

Really happy for you Rach, and delighted that he agrees with your choice of the band.

Hope your next appointments come through soon xx

Back