• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Band Vs Sleeve

Sonnie

I had my consultation with my surgeon yesterday evening, and my mind has been set on having a band for so long now.
But after he explained all the pros and cons, advantages and disadvantages I'm now thinking a sleeve would be best.
The complications that could occur with a sleeve are much less then the band (if my understanding is correct), and I know all surgeries carry their risks.
This is being funded by my parents and on explaining all these pros and cons to my mum she kind of went a bit ape!!!!!
She feels that the band has been pushed for so many years and now all of a sudden they are turning against this banding. I've tried explaining that the medical world evolves on a daily basis and even this aside, if something happens and I need this band removed the nhs won't even touch me as I went private in the beginning. How would I afford this correctional surgery!?
My surgeon I met last night explained the UK's stats for both procedures, but his personal stats is that 30% of his own patients be it private or nhs go back within the first 5 years to have the band removed and the sleeve done.
How many of you have decided the sleeve over the band?

Who's had the band and now has complications?
Who's had the sleeve and now has complications?

I need some help I really do!!!
I know im leaning towards the sleeve, but trying to explain all this is proving argumentative!

This is tough but it is something you need to think about carefully...I went for a consultation on the initial basis that I had my heart set on the band but after discussing it with the consultant he told me I was the perfect candidate for the sleeve but it was considerably more expensive. I had all the pros and cons listed out - and after a lot of discussion with my parents (they also came to the consultation) I decided to opt for the sleeve...I must admit though that in my own personal experience we determined that I wouldn't be able to lost the weight I needed to with the band and maintain it and I could easily be back in the same position I am now and the sleeve would be much easier to lose the weight and maintain it for life but it is very much a personal choice...

If I was to offer any opinion, I would say that if you have struggled with your weight for a great deal of time (I struggled for 11 years) and despite numerous diets I only lost a bit and then put it back on and more...then maybe a sleeve would be best....if you have the determination and willpower to work hard with the band and think you can do that then go for the band.

Hope you decide which is right for you, but remember it needs to be your decision based on the medical advice of your consultant - your folks will need to support you as it is an incredibly emotional time going through WLS but it's your life and your body....wishing you the best xx

It really is a personal preference. There are a huge amount of successful banders on here.

I had originally booked to have a band, but I backed out. It was only after I did more research that I went for the sleeve. It's my 2 month surgery anniversary today and I can honestly say I don't regret a moment.

Also remember that by law, surgeons are obliged to tell you every possible pitfall there is. I know many are put off any operation by hearing of the 1% chance of complications etc. This can happen with the band, sleeve or bypass.

Good luck with your choice.

I too initially had my heart set on a band but after meeting with both the dietitian and surgeon they both recommended the sleeve or bypass over the band. Reasons being greater average weight loss, on going maintenance, shelf life (I think the band is 10 to 15 years). I personally didn't want a bypass so sleeve it was. 10 months later and I'm 2lb short of a 10 stone loss. No regrets whatsoever ever! I took my husband with me as he is far more objective than I am and he was totally on board with the sleeve, maybe you could take you parents to meet with the surgeon?

I was the same, booked a band at the end of last year then backed out, I then had another private consultation locally and discussed the sleeve. I had this done in August and haven't regretted it. With the sleeve it's a no going back option. For me so far there's no struggle with food, you can't eat it, it's as simple as that!
It's a personal choice, do a lot of reading and if all else fails toss a coin and let fate decide!

Thanks everyone, you have all been a great help.

The decider for me is that mum and dad are borrowing on their house for me to have this WLS. I got a price of just under £10,000 for the sleeve today! Literally double the price I was given for the band. So this is a no go.
I won't have the band done now, the surgeon went through the pros and cons of both the band and the sleeve and I am personally more comfortable with the sleeve. But the price is too high.

I too initially had my heart set on a band but after meeting with both the dietitian and surgeon they both recommended the sleeve or bypass over the band. Reasons being greater average weight loss, on going maintenance, shelf life (I think the band is 10 to 15 years). I personally didn't want a bypass so sleeve it was. 10 months later and I'm 2lb short of a 10 stone loss. No regrets whatsoever ever! I took my husband with me as he is far more objective than I am and he was totally on board with the sleeve, maybe you could take you parents to meet with the surgeon?

I would but I can't pay a further £150 for the privilege.
I have his personal mobile number and I have contacted him today. He asked me to go to my gp for a referral but my gp is ridiculous.
I've been three times and asked to be referred for WSL and he declines me everytime! He just doesn't want to spend his budget.

Sorry to hear that...it is considerably more expensive and I took out a loan to pay for mine...on another thread people have posted costs of the sleeve and mine was the most expensive at £10,500. So maybe have a look around depending on where you are in the uk...sometimes going direct to consultants is cheaper too...hope you find a solution though x

Hi
I have a band had it done privately four years ago and was great for two years I lost six stones then I ran into difficulties and have had a nightmare with acid reflux but the NHS have helped me my doctor was very good I have been under the nhs for over a year they have found I have pouch dilation and I have just secured funding on the nhs to have my band repositioned in hindsight I wish maybe I'd had the sleeve but the band does work and if that's all I could afford I would do it again and I have several friends who have had no problems with theirs so don't be completely put off. Maybe change gps I did and if I had done it sooner I would have got my initial surgery on the nhs. Good luck x

I had my consultation with my surgeon yesterday evening, and my mind has been set on having a band for so long now. But after he explained all the pros and cons, advantages and disadvantages I'm now thinking a sleeve would be best. The complications that could occur with a sleeve are much less then the band (if my understanding is correct), and I know all surgeries carry their risks. This is being funded by my parents and on explaining all these pros and cons to my mum she kind of went a bit ape!!!!! She feels that the band has been pushed for so many years and now all of a sudden they are turning against this banding. I've tried explaining that the medical world evolves on a daily basis and even this aside, if something happens and I need this band removed the nhs won't even touch me as I went private in the beginning. How would I afford this correctional surgery!? My surgeon I met last night explained the UK's stats for both procedures, but his personal stats is that 30% of his own patients be it private or nhs go back within the first 5 years to have the band removed and the sleeve done. How many of you have decided the sleeve over the band? Who's had the band and now has complications? Who's had the sleeve and now has complications? I need some help I really do!!! I know im leaning towards the sleeve, but trying to explain all this is proving argumentative!
thank you

I initially consulted a friend (Prof) in Turkey. He has a very successful bariatric clinic and they follow the US methods since they are more experienced in this field. He does not offer banding because of the reasons people mentioned above. He said in US, banding is getting phased out. I too changed my mind from banding to sleeve - yes more expensive but you will have to do fills for a long time at a cost of £150 each. Having to keep going for these fills and checks put me off - that and the fact that it does not reduce your hunger. I am a mindless eater and feared band will not stop me.
Having said that there are also many banding successes around. Whatever you decide will be the best for you. Good luck!

I initially consulted a friend (Prof) in Turkey. He has a very successful bariatric clinic and they follow the US methods since they are more experienced in this field. He does not offer banding because of the reasons people mentioned above. He said in US, banding is getting phased out. I too changed my mind from banding to sleeve - yes more expensive but you will have to do fills for a long time at a cost of £150 each. Having to keep going for these fills and checks put me off - that and the fact that it does not reduce your hunger. I am a mindless eater and feared band will not stop me. Having said that there are also many banding successes around. Whatever you decide will be the best for you. Good luck!

I agree. My surgical team do not perform bands anymore due to the risks 5yrs+.

Although many have been successful with a band. The sleeve was the best, life long choice for me.

I'm slowly learning - at 5 months out - that you have to change your mind set and eating habits as the sleeve does restrict you but you can still eat pretty much anything in toddler portions.

From what my bypass friends tell me, they have less restriction but can't eat anything they want, due to dumping.

I wish you all the best with your sleeve!! I have lost nearly 7 stone and I've only just started to feel like a human again.

My only regret is not getting a sleeve 10yrs ago.

Good luck xxx

Sent from my iPhone using WLSurgery

Thanks everyone, you have all been a great help.

The decider for me is that mum and dad are borrowing on their house for me to have this WLS. I got a price of just under £10,000 for the sleeve today! Literally double the price I was given for the band. So this is a no go.
I won't have the band done now, the surgeon went through the pros and cons of both the band and the sleeve and I am personally more comfortable with the sleeve. But the price is too high.

My sleeve was done in London and was 3/4's of the price you mentioned above. Also, check Alfiemoomins diary. She had her sleeve abroad.

My sleeve was done in London and was 3/4's of the price you mentioned above. Also, check Alfiemoomins diary. She had her sleeve abroad.

Hi Bear,
Where did you have your sleeve done? And how much was it if you don't mind me asking

I am going abroad for mine in January. The cost for a sleeve is £5500. This includes 2 nights in hospital and 2 nights in accommodation and 4 nights in accommodation for somebody to go with you. You just have to pay for the flights. This clinic holds support appointments in the uk too.

Debbie

I am going abroad for mine in January. The cost for a sleeve is £5500. This includes 2 nights in hospital and 2 nights in accommodation and 4 nights in accommodation for somebody to go with you. You just have to pay for the flights. This clinic holds support appointments in the uk too. Debbie

Going abroad for ops really scares me.

Having had a band and then a few miserable years of poor health and weight gain caused by severe band erosion and then emergency surgery for Peritonitis to remove the band followed by a 5 month recovery wait before having further surgery (and having to pay more than 2x the amount in total)...

I think you can imagine which one I would go for. Band or bypass. I wouldn't consider or recommend a band to anyone.

Having had a band and then a few miserable years of poor health and weight gain caused by severe band erosion and then emergency surgery for Peritonitis to remove the band followed by a 5 month recovery wait before having further surgery (and having to pay more than 2x the amount in total)... I think you can imagine which one I would go for. Band or bypass. I wouldn't consider or recommend a band to anyone.

Oh god!!! Are you ok now?
I'm slowly more and more going against the band! I would much rather the gastric sleeve.
But it's the price that's stopping me at the moment.

My mum can't see that the medical world evolves and what was once the best thing since sliced bread is now considered not so great!

hi I just want to out the otherside out there. I have a band 2 weeks ago. and I know of many people who have had great success with them many yrs down the line. so they can work but obviously things can go wrong as like any surgery.

Back