• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Band,bypass or sleeve ?

rachlou85

Hi all been to my first appointment at wasall manor hospital it went really well but I went thinking I wanted the band but now hearing all the options and everything I am not sure now if I want the band I am just abit scared about the bypass and sleeve as its more risks but then I think all off them have risks. The nurse also said that if she asked 10 people who had band in 3 years time only about 3 would say they was totally happy with it where as if she asked 10 bypass people 3 years later 10 would say they was happy So totally confussed now .

Everyone will have their own opinion..... I am a realist....

Don't get a band, get a sleeve or bypass depending on your diabetes risk and eating habits.

I had some problems with the port on my band, not the band itself.

Had a tonne of problems with my bypass. Would do it again in a heartbeat.

The gastric band has a high failure rate. If you want to give yourself the best possible chance of keeping the weight off, go for a sleeve or bypass.

Do lots of research and find out which procedure best suits your eating habits. For me there wasn't a choice. I wanted the bypass as I knew that it was the best option for me. The dumping syndrome is a great deterrent.

Having a bypass has changed my life. I'm 12 st lighter than I was this time last year and I wouldn't change that for anything.

I had a sleeve as I didn't want my insides messed around with (anymore than they are) plus I'd heard good things about the sleeve.

Thanx I am leaning more towards the sleeve or bypass I think but I will carry in and research which is best for me :)

Research research and then research again, I started off "wanting" a band - but a gastric band was all I'd heard of, since looking into it a lot more and doing a lot of reading I am now set on a bypass.

The gastric band has a high failure rate.

Hmm, I would say its more a case of people not working with their band (more often than not). Its far more accurate to say that its a case of people having a high failure rate.

We are responsible for how we decide to eat after surgery and each of us can fail if we chose to do so.

Do lots of research and find out which procedure best suits your eating habits.

I agree totally with this.

I would also add that you need to be 100% honest with yourself and your consultant. About your eating habits and if you have any further issues with food that reducing the amount you eat alone will not solve.

We have a wide range of members here, some have had all three surgeries - but what they will all tell you is you have to work with your weight loss surgery tool, commit to changing your lifestyle and the way you eat, forever.

People will always side with the option they chose but we are all different. This is your journey and your chance to make the right choice for you.

Good luck! xx

I had a band 4 years ago because I was scared of the bypass , first 2 years band worked well pregnancy made me gain a lot of weight back and then my band slipped , im now a lot heavier than pre banding and awaiting a bypass, the band is a great tool but it requires a lot of will power after the first few weeks there is usually little to no restriction so you need to be motivated until you have had enough fills for good restriction , I am in honesty no longer a fan of the band long term as I know so many people its failed long term , but only you can decide whats best for you if you don't have good motivation and will power it may not be the op for you

I would also add that you need to be 100% honest with yourself and your consultant. About your eating habits and if you have any further issues with food that reducing the amount you eat alone will not solve.

We have a wide range of members here, some have had all three surgeries - but what they will all tell you is you have to work with your weight loss surgery tool, commit to changing your lifestyle and the way you eat, forever.

People will always side with the option they chose but we are all different. This is your journey and your chance to make the right choice for you.

Good luck! xx

It's still failure Mazza no matter how you look at it. There's also lots of medical research papers that back up the claim. Whether its the person who fails the band or issues with the band itself, it still has the largest failure rate of all the surgeries.

The only option for me was band or bypass as my provider only offered theses types of surgery. I chose bypass as I knew restriction and malabsorption were my best chance of losing my excess weight and keeping it off for good. I applaud anyone who has been successful with a band, as I feel it takes a lot more dedication, self control and hard work than the other surgeries.

I origianlly wanted a band. Once I had been to the weight loss semina I decided I wanted the sleeve. When I saw the dietician and bariatric nurse they questioned why the sleeve and not bypass. With more research I settled for the bypass. I had already lost quite a lot of weight pre op and for this reason I felt I would have more sucess with the bypass. I also had to finally amitted to my self that I had a sweet tooth and hoped that the bypass would help stop me eating sweet things. I am now 11 wks post op and the bypass was by far the best thing I have ever done for MYSELF. As for the sweet things the fear of dumping as helped stop me eating them :). I think ultimately as paula said you have to be honest with your self and surgeon when it comes to your eating habits. This will help making the big decision. Good luck with making your choice. X

Thanx all like the dietitian said I can change my mind at anytime so if I do decide on one then think maybe not i can change it but the more I am reading and looking up on the net I am thinking bypass it just seems abit more scarier but I got time to decide so will keep researching just was woundering what other people's thoughts was :)

Only you can decide which option is the one for you. My biggest issue was not what I ate, but the sheer volume I ate. The band will (I hope) help with that if I work with it. I'm not diabetic (though if nothing changes that will certainly be in my future), nor do I have any pressing health issues that would benefit more from sleeve or bypass than from banding.

Maybe I'll be here in a few years going for a bypass, but I'm going to do my utmost to avoid that!

As others have said, do the research, be honest with yourself about your eating habits, and choose the best option for you, rather than what others have chosen as the best option for them:)

Good luck! x

The gastric band has a high failure rate. If you want to give yourself the best possible chance of keeping the weight off, go for a sleeve or bypass.

Do lots of research and find out which procedure best suits your eating habits. For me there wasn't a choice. I wanted the bypass as I knew that it was the best option for me. The dumping syndrome is a great deterrent.

Having a bypass has changed my life. I'm 12 st lighter than I was this time last year and I wouldn't change that for anything.

I agree with Paula, hundred percent. I chose the bypass for the same reason. As well as having diabetes and having a severe sweet tooth, the success rate is higher with it. Yes it has more risks, but believe me, the benefits far outweigh the risks. However, as people said above, it is completely your decision and I would suggest doing a lot of research before choosing. Good luck with whatever you decide. X

It's still failure Mazza no matter how you look at it. There's also lots of medical research papers that back up the claim. Whether its the person who fails the band or issues with the band itself, it still has the largest failure rate of all the surgeries.

Your absolutely right. Failure = not losing the weight you are expected to lose. I really struggle to understand why (as the OP pointed out) that although her provider fitted these bands (NHS?) its seemingly acceptable to them that people didn't get the results they wanted. Almost as if what did they expect, that is shocking. Did the band fail, the patient, the aftercare - or did they just get the wrong advice :confused:

I'm glad you found the option that worked for you first time but so did I, for me. If people aren't honest with their consultant, they haven't researched or they are not prepared to work at it, there is a danger they could a) get the wrong op for them and b) indeed fail.

We are lucky that we have such a mix of successes on here, whether they got it right first time or had to undergo further surgery. Over the years I have seen bypassers who get bands fitted because their pouches have stretched and sleevers who convert to a bypass or ds. There also banders who convert to a bypass and dont lose any more weight than they did with their band.

Whilst most of us don't set out to sabotage our results, it happens. If we all went into this thinking our operation will make us thin with no effort, how many would fail then?

Rachlou85 - I have found this link which provides lots of useful information on the most popular options:

Weight Loss Surgery – The Top Weight Loss Site – Obesity Help

Good luck with making your choice i'm still deciding after much research lol surgeon wasn't a hole heap of help either but i'm due to see dietician again next week maybe i'll be nearer to making my mind up by then :$ x x

I have had all 3. My band failed, it was revised to a sleeve because I was too scared to go for the bypass. The sleeve failed because of the band so it was revised to a bypass. I wish I had just gone to the bypass. It's not as scary as I thought it was going to be at all. I have had absolutely no issues at all with my bypass. Love it.
However, only you know what is best for you. Research all you can. Your surgeon will make suggestions depending on your eating habits but it is ultimately up to you.

Good luck xx

Back