• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

how to choose.. band or bypass ?

bookwormy

Just wondered if anyone can tell me how do you choose between band or bypass or do you even get to choose. I eat big portions and have no full up switch but i also pick. they will probably suggest a mouth brace permanantly locked shut ! LOL ;)

bands work for volume eaters the best, if you pick or like choc crisps ect as well as your meals i would recommend a bypass.

Hi Bookwormy, I chose band because I'm a volume eater and felt this the better option for me.I was told by my surgeon that a bypass is better for those who pick at sweet and fatty stuff, this said some will disagree and let me know I'm wrong. Also your bmi has a lot to do with the choice but I'm sure when you speak with your surgeon he will advise you which would be best. Just make sure you are totally honest about your eating habits to him.I'm sure someone will be along soon to explain the bypass option to you.
Good luck on which ever you decide. xxGaynorxx

There's lots of differences to drive your choice which I'm sure otherw will comment on...

One to throw in is that it also depends on your attitude towards the level of reversability about the surgery. Band is totally reversable and leaves your existing anatomy intact. Bypass very difficult (nigh on impossible) to reverse, changes your anatomy and you have to take vitamins for life but you will lose 80% of the weight and are likely to keep it off.

My reasons for choosing a bypass werent really to do with what i eat. It was more the fact that i am young (27) and that potentially i could have the band in me - a foreign body- for possibly 50yrs. Which is a long time for any complications to arise. I also couldnt be bothered with having to go for band fills and my restriction changing up & down.
My decision was to change me for life - that way i could never choose to have restriction eased and go back to my old ways. I also wanted to lose weight faster than what the band allows.

But the bypass isnt for everyone, and band does have other benefits that the bypass doesnt.

Good luck with ur decision xxx

I'm a volume eater and for that and other reasons, I went with the band. x

I'm a real sweet eater and snacker so i have chosen the bypass as i feel i would be able to "cheat" with the band. I am going private thanks to an inheritance from my late dad so would hate myself if i wasted the money he left me so have to go for the bypass. Good luck ultimately you will do what's right for you xx

Hey Bookwormy

Everyone is so right - I started off thinking I wanted a band and ended up having a bypass - I ate too much and like you, had no off switch but I also ate loads of sweet stuff as opposed to savory. Its true that the bypass is for life but for me, even at this early stage, its life saving - I know I made the right decision. The surgeons will guide you in the right direction.

Hi Bookworm

Good advice so far from all the gang, though you may want to consider how you will work with your chosen surgical option, any of the banders here will tell you how hard it is to stay focused and not stray, plus there's a higher chance of issues with band slippage and band fills to think about, it is true that the bypass is a lot more pemanent solution and something to think about, though like others have said WLS has to be considered as your last option, therefore in my mind there's no going back.
My advice would be to listen to the advice of your consultant with an open mind, weight up all the pro's and cons of each option and then go for the one that suits you.
One last thing, its not true that all bypassers dump ! i'm able to eat practically anything and it really has very little effect on me.

Back