• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Decisions...decisions..

MrsDuck

Hi all,

I've been to meet Prof Ammori today, what a lovely surgeon he is.. The main issue now is he's advised I have a sleeve rather than a band.

I was all geared up for the band, I've done tons & tons of research on it however there is no denying the follow ups with fills & defills and the list of possible side effects are off putting. I don't want to be that person who has the band and 3 years later wishes I'd had the sleeve. I thought I had made a definite decision, but now I'm really unsure... I can afford both the band/sleeve now but who's to say in three years time if the band doesn't work, or needs removing I may not be able to afford revision surgery in the future. I need to make sure I make the right decision here as I only plan on having one op!

So I'm now starting my new research in to sleeves...

Banders- do you wish you had a sleeve?

Sleevers- do you wish you'd had a band? Any regrets? Advice?

ANY advice, comments will be hugely appreciated xx

Also, how much did your sleeves cost? As the price I have been quoted seems quite high

Thanks x

Hi, I had also made my mind up on a band but after the initial consultation with the dietitian and then the surgeon, they both advised that I seriously considered the sleeve (I personally wasn't interested in the bypass) they went so far as to say that if they had to drop a procedure that it would be the band in a heartbeat. I left very confused and so it was back to more research!
Anyway 3 months later and 5 stone lighter I have no regrets whatsoever and am happy that I choose the right procedure for me but it is such a personal journey and you have to ensure that whatever you choose is the best for you, so research, research, research.

I paid 10k for my sleeve, I think the band was 6k. If I remember right I could have got the sleeve a wee bit cheaper but it would have meant traveling 7/8 hours down South.

Hi Matra,

Thanks for replying, I'm the same, a bypass is a definite no go for me too, its too invasive for my liking. (no offence to any bypassers reading, you have more bottle than me! :) )

From what you've said above, it's pretty much the same story with me. My surgeon only fits 1 band a week, compared to 5-8 sleeves. Infact, he does more revision surgery (band converting to sleeves) than both put together. I'm coming round to the idea of a sleeve, but because I've had total tunnel vision and was so sure I was having a band, it's knocked me back a bit. I've not looked at any sleeve research. I get the feeling now that bands are a bit old hat, and will soon be phased out, with sleeves replacing them x

you have to go with what feels right for you im the opposite i was and am a no bander was never even on my radar where as bypass was do some research read other peoples experiences and make an informed choice

I am a successful bander and have no regrets whatsoever and have had no problems. Tbh I didn't really even consider the sleeve as it wasn't so much talked about when I had my band. I think if you go in knowing the pros and cons of each wls ... You will be fine whichever you choose. None is guaranteed and all surgery comes with risks. Attitude is key :)

Having a band was the biggest mistake of my life. Was so ill with it. Scar tissue built up and strangled it. I had constant acid reflux and vomiting and my oesophagus was damaged. Could only sleep upright in an armchair for 6 months and was weak and malnourished as everything that went in, came back up. Had it removed after 2 years. I was told that my body was rejecting a foreign object.
Now have a bypass. So much better. Wish I'd had it done in the first place. Wasted 2 years with the band!

Like you it took me four years of research to go for wls and I was definitely having a band until the consultation day with my surgeon and then something told me no don't do this and have the sleeve which I did and I have not regretted my decision. I paid 9k with THG.

My advice would be to do whatever your surgeon recommends. They have all the knowledge and will know what is best for you.

Recent research and from previous experiences of all different types of weight loss......the band is now a rare surgery as the success rate is not so good. I know many, many people do great with them but there seems to be more that don't than do.

I wish you lots of luck on your future journey and hope you get the surgery you want and need xx

Thanks all for your replies, it's interesting to know everyone's opinions and thought processes.

After tons of research, reading lots & lots of posts on here and talking with my OH & family I've decided to switch to a sleeve instead of a band.

I'll list the main reasons incase someone is reading this in a similar position to me:

No long term maintenance (fills, replacement)
Greater weight loss
Harder to cheat!
Fewer side effects

Don't get me wrong, there are advantages with the band. But for me personally, the sleeve is the practical way forward.

I kinda feel like I'm cheating on the band a little bit as I've been pro band for so many years. I know it inside and out, and I was happy with what it offered so I had no reason to research any other WL procedure. Since I started looking at the sleeve, (a bypass is a no no) I have been pleasantly surprised with the sleeves reputation and what it offers as a tool, which is why I've changed my mind.

What I would say to anyone starting out is research ALL procedures and listen to the advice of your surgeon. Write a list of pros & cons too, that's helped me.

Thanks again. I love this site :) x

I've had a band and a bypass. Problems with both. The band itself works and I lost 40kg, port drove me insane and it had to go. Had problems with the bypass as well, lucky me :) would never have had a sleeve as I can't get my head round it, surgeon recommended it. My body, my decision.

This is an article from not that long ago on revisions

Prepare for revisional band operations, says surgeon | Bariatric News

If you are a cheater and have a blender, then the easiest wls to cheat with is the band. But you can cheat with them all.

All options are bloody hard work. I wish I'd manned up and had the bypass first instead of wasting time and £££ on the band. But I would never have done it, so what's done is done :)

Thanks for the link to the article, just had a read and it only adds to the reasons for changing my mind. My surgeon said he was removing more bands than fitting them now.

I wouldn't say I'm a cheater, but I've read lots of posts by people saying its easy to cheat a band. I know you can cheat anything if you persist, but it's harder with the sleeve as your stomachs not there to hold the extra food/drink, whereas with a band it is.

Thanks for your reply x

Hi mrs duck.Im 2 weeks post op with the band and since having it Ive lost 16 lbs.At the min I think it's the best option for me.My start BMI was 35 so I was just able to have WLS.My surgeon wouldn't consider the sleeve for me.I know you can cheat on it as last night I ate a whole bag of chocolate buttons.Just needed something sweet as sloppy food is starting to make me gip,BUT on Friday I went out and couldn't find anything on menu to eat so I had a jacket potatoe.I chewed forever with it and could only eat a quarter of it so it defiantly works.First time in my life I felt totally satisfied with the smallest portion of normal food.I think any WLS will be the best decision you will make..Good luck with your op Mrs duck.Keep us al up to date x

My first consultation my BMI was 35. I was having a band, surgeon would have recommended a sleeve if I'd let him tell me.

Day of band surgery my BMI was 32.

Day of band removal & bypass surgery my BMI was 24.

Am struggling to keep my BMI at over 22.

A sleeve can be done at lower BMI.

Back