• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Banded and flying problem?

Mandie

Hi all :wave_cry:
Please can anyone help me ? i was told yesterday that bands set off the security at airports , is this true?
If it is tell me, how do i get round this , as i will be flying in June with OH and my sister and husband , my sister is not aware of my band and i would like to keep it that way , so i would like to avoid a scene in the airport anyone had this situation and how did you handle it ?:confused:

I'm sorry I don't know the answer but, sorry, I just can't understand why people keep these things secret from family and friends.

I'm not judging you by the way Mandie, it's none of my business. We all have different reasons why we do things.

It's just, to me, it will bring on extra stresses, like this, that's not really needed right now. Also, how do you explain the weightloss? Sorry, I know, none of my business. I just can't understand it and curious!

I think its from the old days of trying and failing so many times , that i thought i will succeed first then tell them how i acheived it , also i think people feel the need to say how much weight you've lost or not when they know and i didn't want to hear it unless its genuine . I think that in the future i will tell her as we spend a lot of time together , but the longer it goes on the more difficult it gets to say anything as i'v made excuses already for the weight i'v lost , and food i can't eat so it would look like i was lying ,which was not my intention .But i see your point ,it would have been easier to be straight from the start, thanx for being honest . x

i dont know if bands set off the security but i did both ways when i went to Irelend i never gave it a thought being my band as they said it was the metal in the clips in my hair. i dont think theres any metal on a band any way so you should be fine x

Hi Mandie. The band doesn't set off any security equipment - its only metal objects that does that and as far as I am aware there is no metal in the bands.

thanks , i was told (how true it is i don't know ) that the port has metal in it , not the band . Maybe i should just come clean and then there will be no problem!

Its hard telling people and sometimes we want to keep somethings for ourself, I do think you might find it hard on hol though, as you will be eating together etc and your sister is bound to notice a difference in your eating habits diet or no diet because of the type and amount of food eating. take care keep up the good work

You could ask your surgery provider first to just double check what it's made of...If you don't want to tell everyone that might help avoid declaring all unnessecarily...it's your body hun and just like any other surgery, it's up to you if you want to share with others or not.. I don't think you should feel obliged to "own up" at all. The main thing is you will be shifting the weight and around with your loved ones for many more years than if you hadn't had anything done. How you feel and being healthy and happy is what is important here x

Mandy
my friend is forever flying and has never had a problem with her band and security.
The only thing is that with flying it somehow tightens the band! Not sure how it works but my friend went to have her band tightened a week before a 8 hour flight and they would not tighten it because she was flying and they told her it would tighten itself.
My friend has only told a few people and cannot beleive that I let everyone know! It is amazing how different people are
Shelley

My band has never set off the alarms but my shoes have. Even if you do, you won't need to discuss it within earshot. The new body scanners at Manchester will show up the band on the screen anyway but (they claim) the person viewing it is in a different building.

I've been on holiday since my op and my band/port/etc did not set off the security thingy you have to walk through - or the hand held one (i've been exposed to both)...

Been thru security four time and mine never set it off, so please do not worry at all...;):eek::D:D:D

Just enjoy your hollibobs...on the plane you might find it tightens a little. Just drink plenty of fluids slowly whilst on plane and eat before you go.

i'm sure it tightens because fluids expand during flights...i only know this because of the type of business i work in (cosmetic manufacturing) it is why you need to leave air bubbles at the top of liquid products which go air freight and vacuum test during production the make sure fragrance doesn't leak lol

Enjoy your holiday :)

Mandie, which island are you going to? we went to Kuredu in 2006 and it was absolute paradise :sigh:
I'm sure you'll have the most wonderful time :cool:

Hi Mandie,

IF (I don't think it will as it's silicone) the alarm gets set off - have a quiet word in the ear of the security officer.

A tip would be to be first in the queue ahead of your sister so when if it does go off you have already gone through and you'll be out of earshot of your sister. If your sister asks blame it on your watch or your underwire bra.

By the way for information - I flew in from Las Vegas this morning and I was wearing earrings, watch and an underwired bra - I didn't set off the alarm at Gatwick (outbound) or at McCarran International Airport (and you know how security conscious they are in the US these days) - nor was I asked to remove either item from my person before going through the security checking machine thingy.

HTHs xxxxx

Thanks everyone for your advice, i'm feeling a little more relaxed about it now , i know ts petty but i didn't want to share my secret with everyone , my sister is great but a little free with others information ( if you know what i mean!) I shall just look forward to my hols now without the stress , thanks.
P.S Hi Yvonne we're going to Angaga , its a very small island we did veligandu 2 yrs ago and loved it that was also very small.

pressure in the cabin will make the band tighter same as if you have a bag of crisps on a plane the bag looks like its gonna explode lol

hi, i can honestly say that you band will not set of any kind of alarm at airports lol, also my band was quite tight at my times of flying ( went to spain and cyprus with my band) and it didnt get tighter or anything, so you will be fine :)

Back