• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Banded waiting for revision to bypass

valentine

Hi all thought it was time to introduce myself

I have been looking around this site as I am a member of its sister site minimins.....

Now that I have been lucky enough to get back on the WLS route I thought it best to join this forum for some bypass info from like minded people..

I was banded in 2004 weighing 21st 7lb privately in Lyon France

Everything was good and I lost weight steadily for the first two years and settled at 13st and a size 14 ...I was quite happy at that weight so didn't worry too much that I wasn't losing further lbs

Then in 2009 after lots of vomiting and reflux I went to see my surgeon for a swallow and he diagnosed a dilated esophagus and deflated my band immediately and left 2ml in it (have13ml band) so no restriction whatsoever.

Life went on and I gained weight.. Used various shake based TFR diets and fought to keep my weight down yo yo ing between 13-15 stones for past 5 years..

Had two spinal ops during this time too ..

Then I gave up smoking in April 2013 and yep you guessed it my weight flew back on...

I managed put on 4 stones and my weight has settles at 16st 13,,, just under the 17st mark..

Felt completely miserable then something amazing happened... I met my fiancée ..... We had known each other for a while but he had no idea I had WLS... He has haD 3 lots of WLS....

We got chatting via FB and for the first time ever I felt completely comfortable talking about my surgery and my weight problems with a guy..

He has lost a total of 25st in the ,last 7 years with 2 bands and then a DS ..... One band slipped and then one eroded which is how he ended up with DS..

Anyways to cut a long story short we hooked up fell in love and he took me to see his surgeon at a follow up apt he had ... During his apt he mentioned to the surgeon about me and the next thing I know is I'm given the info to get my GP to refer me in my own right ... The plan at that time was to see how my band was and maybe have a go at re filling it if my esophagus had healed enough..

I was sent for a swallow the following month and then went back to see consultant a week later.... He told me that he could not fill the band ... I was gutted... Then he said the magic words... REVISION SURGERY ....

He said the band had slipped slightly so they could look at re positioning it or removing it and moving to bypass..... Due to my fiancée problems with the bands I wasn't keen for repositioning and my consultant said it might not be possible due to scar tissue anyway...

So we spoke more about bypass and I've seen the dietitian , anesetist and have an appointment with their psychiatrist on Monday 10th march which I think is the final hurdle before surgey...

I asked about funding and apparently it's not an issue as it's revision surgery .... So after all them years of no realising I could have approached my GP for referral to the NHS I am now waiting for my date and the start of hopefully losing weight ...

Only regret I have is that I didn't opt for the bypass when I paid out 10 years ago for the band..... I have spent years being sick and suffering from acid reflux and now there is light at the end of the tunnel.

Just hope I'm as successful as the rest of you guys on here xxxxx

Mazza

Administrator
Staff member
Hi :wavey:

Nice to hear a bit more about you and your very long journey!

Good luck on what will hopefuly be the final leg xx

valentine

Hi :wavey: Nice to hear a bit more about you and your very long journey! Good luck on what will hopefuly be the final leg xx

Thank you it's been a looooong journey lol but fingers crossed I will be on the losers bench later this summer xxxx

flutterby1966

Good luck :) sounds like apart from some of the rubbish stuff, you have had a bit of luck too along the way ;)

Maphillips

I understand fully I had a band lost great for two yrs and then all went wrong so had it removed then 20 months later and lots of loops to jump through got my bypass just great
Good luck it's a hard but worth it in the end
Take care

valentine

I lost this thread so sorry for late reply .. Yes I did get a rough rude then a stroke of luck was just brilliant..,

Quick update is that I've now been given a date for the removal of my band and then the bypass is to follow about 12 weeks later

ROLL ON MAY 21st... Great timing as I will have been to Spain for a couple of weeks and be home on the 19th just in time for my surgery xxxx

Big Dave D

I lost this thread so sorry for late reply .. Yes I did get a rough rude then a stroke of luck was just brilliant.., Quick update is that I've now been given a date for the removal of my band and then the bypass is to follow about 12 weeks later ROLL ON MAY 21st... Great timing as I will have been to Spain for a couple of weeks and be home on the 19th just in time for my surgery xxxx

Good news, I'm so happy for you! x

valentine