• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Banders and pregnancy

Sarah Metcalf

This was always something I wondered about so asked my consultant at my last appointment and thought I'd post his answer. I would like to point out that this is my consultants advice and other providers may have differing advice.

He recommends that you wait for a year after your operation to conceive, allowing your weight to stabilise.

If your midwife is happy with your weight gain and you're not suffering too much with heartburn/sickness they will leave your band at it's fill level.

That's pretty much it, I hope it's helped, like I mentioned above this is MY providers advice ;)

Neen

WLS Moderator
That's really useful hun xxx We did have a lovely bander, Coralie, who hasn't been on for over a year... I think she was trying for a baby.
I hope she comes back amongst many others but this will help future members xx

hope2bthina

Hiya, I've just had a baby on 26th March:D!!

I had my op in Jan 11 and found out i was pregnant in August 11. My last fill was in may 11.

I still had very good restriction to begin with and actually rang for a defill as i had to go back on insulin due to the pregnancy hormones making my blood sugars go haywire and i needed to eat once i'd injected and wasn't always possible if i got stuck i couldnt eat after.
The dieticians never got back to me until i was 5 months pregnant:eek: so i stayed full 11.5 in a 14ml band from what i remember and my restriction has decreased alot.

I can eat a vast amount of food now as i desperately need a fill it's nearly a year since my last one.

My pregnancy was extremley high risk due to a previous loss at 35 weeks(7yrs ago and long before my band) and not once was there any concern over my band by my consultant or any other i saw.....although they did comment on my weight loss and said i looked a different person..which was nice.....now my little lady is 2 weeks old i dont look quite so different as i gained alot of weight:( but looking at her she is worth it:).

I was more concerned that my band would snap while i was pushing lol....it never:eek:.

The pregnancy wasn't planned but told more than likely a result of my weight loss....and something else:p lol. I've still not worked out what!!... after 6 babies you would think i would know;).

Anyway all is good and Eden Elizabeth was worth all the stress, worry and lbs gained.....and 6lbs 15oz weight loss in minutes my best since the band :D xx

Just wanted to add out of all my times being pregnant( i have 6 children) this was the only time i never got heartburn....amazing!! and baby has a full head of hair too!

Last edited:

Laura b

2011 a new begginning
hope2bthina said:
Hiya, I've just had a baby on 26th March:D!!

I had my op in Jan 11 and found out i was pregnant in August 11. My last fill was in may 11.

I still had very good restriction to begin with and actually rang for a defill as i had to go back on insulin due to the pregnancy hormones making my blood sugars go haywire and i needed to eat once i'd injected and wasn't always possible if i got stuck i couldnt eat after.
The dieticians never got back to me until i was 5 months pregnant:eek: so i stayed full 11.5 in a 14ml band from what i remember and my restriction has decreased alot.

I can eat a vast amount of food now as i desperately need a fill it's nearly a year since my last one.

My pregnancy was extremley high risk due to a previous loss at 35 weeks(7yrs ago and long before my band) and not once was there any concern over my band by my consultant or any other i saw.....although they did comment on my weight loss and said i looked a different person..which was nice.....now my little lady is 2 weeks old i dont look quite so different as i gained alot of weight:( but looking at her she is worth it:).

I was more concerned that my band would snap while i was pushing lol....it never:eek:.

The pregnancy wasn't planned but told more than likely a result of my weight loss....and something else:p lol. I've still not worked out what!!... after 6 babies you would think i would know;).

Anyway all is good and Eden Elizabeth was worth all the stress, worry and lbs gained.....and 6lbs 15oz weight loss in minutes my best since the band :D xx

Just wanted to add out of all my times being pregnant( i have 6 children) this was the only time i never got heartburn....amazing!! and baby has a full head of hair too!

Lovely to see u bk ion here hun, Eden is georgous xxxxx

hope2bthina

Thnaks Laura, just replied to you on the other thread. I had to have a new laptop as my lovely kids broke the other one....and couldn't remember the website addy....remembered minis and found it through there last night....need to be back now..got lots of weight to lose lol xxx

Fuffs

Shrinking Big Brummie
hope2bthina said:
Thnaks Laura, just replied to you on the other thread. I had to have a new laptop as my lovely kids broke the other one....and couldn't remember the website addy....remembered minis and found it through there last night....need to be back now..got lots of weight to lose lol xxx

You will manage it!!! Eden is a beautiful name :D and good luck xxx

hope2bthina

Thanks ladies xxx

One more thing to add.....a few midwives when feeling my bump would say..oh theres a foot....erm no that's my port lol....then i had to explain what it was.
Also it was amazing how many people asked me if i had had the band taken out being as i was pregnant! x

Laura b

2011 a new begginning
hope2bthina said:

Do u fancy goin the support group next Wednesday?? Or u busy wiv baby? Xxxxx

Laura b

2011 a new begginning
hope2bthina said:
Hiya i was going to go anyway, but i am having a tooth out at 2 on wednesday..if im ok i will go tho lol x

Ok if u want a lift I'll pick u up just let me know x

im meant to be having my band on the 29th December.... but just found out im pregnant, really happy im pregnant but alittle gutted that the op will be delayed.

top_kat

oh my goodness chunky ~ congratulations on your news! It must be a mixture of feelings, that news, but delaying . ..but :D congrats!

oh my goodness chunky ~ congratulations on your news! It must be a mixture of feelings, that news, but delaying . ..but :D congrats!

thanks, wanted another baby for a while but wanted to have the op and lose weight first. oh well... i will have to eat healthier, exercise more, have the baby then come back for the surgery... i tested today cause i was late and about to start my milk diet so thought id check to be on the safe side (doubt the milk diet would be good for the baby)

would like to say a huge thankyou to everyone for all their support for my WLS even though its now delayed.

JO28172

Well I'm 13 weeks preg and all so far so good! My provider intends defilling me a month or two before but only cos ill need a c section and said it just keeps it simpler for the hospital

flutterby1966

Congratulations chunkymunky :bestwishes: