• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Bands & fills <3

Fizzpot

Hey everyone this is a bit of a nosey post.. I've noticed lots of surgeons do things differently when fitting the band and giving the fills straight away .. I have a 14ml band with 1ml put in at surgery, some people have none put in? Some people have 10ml bands with more than 1ml put in at surgery ... I don't understand how they judge it ?

When did you feel real restriction with your band? How much did they put in at surgery if any? And what size band did you have .

Like I said at the start I know it's nosey but I'm just trying to get my head around it :)

Beth x

10ml band - nothing put in a surgury. I have had a very slow start due to my first nurse only wanting to drip 1ml in at a time. Went to see another for my 2nd fill two weeks ago she put in 3ml and I drop five pounds within a week. They are all so different but I am with THG

AmyN said:
10ml band - nothing put in a surgury. I have had a very slow start due to my first nurse only wanting to drip 1ml in at a time. Went to see another for my 2nd fill two weeks ago she put in 3ml and I drop five pounds within a week. They are all so different but I am with THG

I'm with Thg too it's like there's no set rules on the fills? Well done on the 5lb loss :) xx

I have a 7 mil band ( filled to 5 mils ), zilch put in at surgery and then the first fill I had 3 mils put in, I felt some restriction from the op itself and have continued to do so. xx

I think the nurses do what they feel from experience. The 1st time I went the lady put in my all different positions try to find my port and it took ages, the second time different nurse felt my stomach, needle went straight in two secs later she was done. I think its very different from person to person

BlueDiamond said:
I have a 7 mil band ( filled to 5 mils ), zilch put in at surgery and then the first fill I had 3 mils put in, I felt some restriction from the op itself and have continued to do so. xx

7ml?? I didn't know they did one that small your stomach must be tiny ! Xx

Just spoke to my neighbour about this...as she had her band fitted 3 yrs ago....and she said that her stomach was big, so she got the 14ml band....after 2yrs she maintained her weight at 12 stone, after coming down from 22 stone...and she is now at 5ml, and stable....and can eat almost anything she wants....

So I think the size or capacity of the band depends on when they open you up and see the size of your stomach...

Before each fill you will chat about what you eat when and how much they then ll decide how much to put in. I have a 10 ml band and it took my 4th fill which took me to 7.5 ml before I had no restriction. Some people need defill because they are too tight with 5ml in... we are all different xxx

I have a 10ml band and they put 2ml in in the op then another 3ml 6 weeks later. I'm going for my 2nd fill this Thursday and hoping for another 2mls as I don't hav much restriction yet but defiantly better than 2ml

It's all very interesting isn't it!! My first fill is the 22nd may I wonder what they'll give me xx

Ive got a 10ml band in....My fill is on the 22nd May too (as you know lol)....

This is week 3 of food...and im eating a lot of soft foods and im more hungrier than I was in the first two weeks post op....Im eating more :(.....So I cant wait for the fill.

I have a small band with 4ml in
i'm in my first week and not eating very much
due to getting wind and feeling bloated everytime i eat,
still very early days for me :) xx

I have a 10ml band, had my first fill yesterday. Found out that there was 1.5 in from surgery and she added 3, so 4.5 total. I am going back in 3 weeks for another fill, depending on how I get on with dry foods next week, as I have to so 3 days fluids and 3 days mushy. Everyone's different I suppose.

I have a 9 mil band with 8.5 mils in it, nothing in it until 5 months post op.

Different surgeons have their preferences over which 'type' of band they use - lap band, which comes in various sizes or swedish (which I have).

I am 3 years out at goal and maintaining ;)

@Bluebutterflier are you still on the soft food stage after 3 weeks, or have you chosen to stick to soft foods?

Even with good restriction you can eat more soft foods than textured filling foods :D

@Bluebutterflier are you still on the soft food stage after 3 weeks, or have you chosen to stick to soft foods?

Even with good restriction you can eat more soft foods than textured filling foods

Oh no, it was the beginning of my third week, and im going by my booklet...i prefer softer foods yes, but ive been mixing in chicken and other harder foods....been learning which foods dont go down well - raw peppers, leeks even when soft....but i think everyone will have a different food that dont agree with their bands.....

Back