• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Mush food question.

truffle♥

Im a couple of days off starting the soft food phase for 2 weeks and im a bit beffudled by it all lol.
I went to M&S today and got myself some small shepherds pies, cod in parsley sauce and other stuff. I can get my had around the protein first and that side of things but im not sure how much to actually cook and expect to eat!
I have a 10ml band with 1ml in it at the moment. Im not sure if my band will tell me that im full as its got nothing in it if that makes sense. I would hate to eat too much and do any damage.
I have really struggled in the last couple of days with feeling hungry, im so looking forward to the next stage but dont want to go mad.

Any advice would be muchly appreciated xx:)

Looking forward to seeing replies. I'm only on day 5 after op so a while yet for me. Can't wait x

U may be one of the lucky ones and feel some restriction already with just the band there as some do (I didn't lol) just take ur time when eating and if u feel some discomfort then u know its time to stop,many times I've ignored this and overate and been sick,you'll soon get the hang of what your band is telling you,I also serve all my meals off a toddler sized plate and use a toddlers fork/spoon

hey Truffle,
i'm on day 2 of mushy food and like you, on the last few days of liquid started to feel hungry. I used to eat 2 weetabix with skimmed milk but can only manage 1 now. I have a 10ml band with 3 ml put in during surgery. I think the general rule is you should eat from a teaplate, and eat slowly. everyone is different, but i can sure feel restriction already! any more questions, feel free to ask as like you i'm concerned about doing damage! I could eat huge amounts before and always ate quickly, so this is a real novelty for me eating from a teaplate!!
Good luck on your journey!
p.s. dont forget to leave an hour after meals before you drink!

I will be joining you on this on thurs/fri this week . . .but I have specific guidelines from my provider. These are the things that they detail for me
~ start by eating 5 smaller pureed meals and then towards the end of this stage be eating a 3 meal pattern with soft foods
~ portion size should be about 3-6 tablespoons per meal, and not to exceed this amount even if I could eat more
~ serve meals on a side plate
~ eat slowly taking 15-20 mins for each meal
~ stop when you no longer feel hungry, not when you feel full.
~ food can contain soft lumps but no hard lumps, skin, pips etc
~ drink NAS or calorie free liquids, low fat low sugar foods

Then I have specific food group suggestions
Protein list ~ 3 items a day
~ thicker protein shake
~ 1 soft runny/scrambled egg
~ 1-2 tbsp of pureed chicken, quorn, minced lamb or beef, using sauce.gravy for smooth consistency
~ 1=2 tbsp of soft fish mashed into flakes
~ 1 small plain yoghurt, blended with fruit if required

Carb list 3 items per day
~ 1/2 to 1 weetabix with skimmed/semi skimmed milk
~ 1-3 tbs ready brek or porridge
~ 1-2 tbsp mashed potato
~ 1-2 tbsp mashed pasta
~ 200-300ml thick veg soup

Fruits and Veg 3 items per day
~ 1-2 tbsp pureed mash fresh, frozen or tinned
~ 1-2 tbsp stewed/mashed fruit
~ smoothie made with 2 portions of fruit and 150ml juice or milk
~ 1 inch slice of melon
1 x 250 ml glass of fruit juice

unlimited tea, coffee, water, NAS squash, not to be taken within 30 mins of eating. Hope this may help with some ideas :)

top_kat said:
I will be joining you on this on thurs/fri this week . . .but I have specific guidelines from my provider. These are the things that they detail for me
~ start by eating 5 smaller pureed meals and then towards the end of this stage be eating a 3 meal pattern with soft foods
~ portion size should be about 3-6 tablespoons per meal, and not to exceed this amount even if I could eat more
~ serve meals on a side plate
~ eat slowly taking 15-20 mins for each meal
~ stop when you no longer feel hungry, not when you feel full.
~ food can contain soft lumps but no hard lumps, skin, pips etc
~ drink NAS or calorie free liquids, low fat low sugar foods

Then I have specific food group suggestions
Protein list ~ 3 items a day
~ thicker protein shake
~ 1 soft runny/scrambled egg
~ 1-2 tbsp of pureed chicken, quorn, minced lamb or beef, using sauce.gravy for smooth consistency
~ 1=2 tbsp of soft fish mashed into flakes
~ 1 small plain yoghurt, blended with fruit if required

Carb list 3 items per day
~ 1/2 to 1 weetabix with skimmed/semi skimmed milk
~ 1-3 tbs ready brek or porridge
~ 1-2 tbsp mashed potato
~ 1-2 tbsp mashed pasta
~ 200-300ml thick veg soup

Fruits and Veg 3 items per day
~ 1-2 tbsp pureed mash fresh, frozen or tinned
~ 1-2 tbsp stewed/mashed fruit
~ smoothie made with 2 portions of fruit and 150ml juice or milk
~ 1 inch slice of melon
1 x 250 ml glass of fruit juice

unlimited tea, coffee, water, NAS squash, not to be taken within 30 mins of eating. Hope this may help with some ideas :)

Hello I
I have just seen u have got very good advice as I haven't been given any info on what to have hen I get on oft ieat on sat!
I did not no any think about protein list either
Who I'd u have ur done with

Lisa

thanks for the replies ladies, Kat where did you have your band done, cause i see you had the same surgeon as me (mr super) but my guidelines are different to yours xx

thanks for the replies ladies, Kat where did you have your band done, cause i see you had the same surgeon as me (mr super) but my guidelines are different to yours xx

I had my surgery done with Mr Super, had my surgery at Spire in Birmingham

I had my band done via Healthier Weight, and have a whole book that talks about what to have at each stage and in detail like the above :)

Hi Ladies, Today is my first day on mushy foods too! I was a bit stressed out earlier about it, what to eat, how much etc. I suppose it's because we all have got used to how liquids should feel and now its changing to the unknown!. Had the mushy bit of a jacket potato and cheese and beans mixed in, managed less than a 1/4, it felt so weird. I'm not sure if I got wind from it or what as I seemed to have timmy rumbles all afternoon, top kats right when they say eat until your not hungry not full, i think i ate a tiny bit too much as i stated to get the tightening and then felt like I had a golf ball in my mouth all afternoon! 2 bites before I could have ticked the box eaten until not hungry ha ha. Anyone else find it weird not to drink, it's not hard, it is just the habit i suppose of eating and drinking. The portions are a lot smaller than I thought. I have only 1ml in a 10ml band but am sure it much make a difference as I would have eaten 5 times more for lunch than I did today. Anyway enough rambling, have a good week everyone! Lisa xx

Hey Lisa
I think it will take a little while to get used to the feeling. And taste as well as we only have had liquid for two week plus Pre op diet
I can't wait to start mushy food this sat woohoo it will be strange as am struggling on fluids as I am fed up With yoguart smoothie soups milkshake it not gd :-(
I hope Tom a better day for u x

Lisa

Whoever would have thought we banders would look forward so much to moving onto mushy food :D it's great isn't it x

I know it's so funny! Everything taste really strong but nice. Not long now Lisa, it is so worth the wait. I got through the last few days on ski mousse - strawberry flavour, couldn't eat another soup! It kind of feels like you've got a sore throat. Had to remember to eat tiny amounts and wait in between bites. Michelle you have done amazing! Wow! Your life must have changed so much, you must have been determined to reach your goal so quickly! X

I had set my 12 month goal, and knew that was achievable on losing 2lbs on average a week. Didn't want to waste my £6k. Having said that, it did take me two years to take the plunge to go for the op, and I only did that when I was in the right head space, so to speak.

Hi girls, ive been on mushy for a couple of days now and it seems to be going well. I also have 1ml in a 10ml band. Although my portions are hugely smaller than i would have eaten before im suprised at the amount i can eat. I have had no funny feelings and can't really feel the band is there. At the moment im trying to stick to about 1000 calories im not sure if that is the right amount (im only 5'1).
I think the long term challenge for me will be to make sure that my diet is healthy and well balanced. xx

Hello

I think u have the right attude that it is a life style change and am sure it takes a while to get back into the swing of things it's good that u can't feel ur band as I can feel mine all time .
but I have 4ml infil of a10 ml band.
I think given ur self 1000cal is a gd idea as ur sticking to healthy choice.
I wish u all the best in ur weight loss journey x

The only other thing my friend who is a bander has told me is not to drink until an hour after eating as the drink can go under the food, push it upwards and make you ill.

mummykcb said:
The only other thing my friend who is a bander has told me is not to drink until an hour after eating as the drink can go under the food, push it upwards and make you ill.

Yeah it to not drink 15 mins before or an hour after as this will turn the food in ur tummy to liquid which make it digest easyier and u can put on the weight :-(

lisa1983 said:
Yeah it to not drink 15 mins before or an hour after as this will turn the food in ur tummy to liquid which make it digest easyier and u can put on the weight :-(

Either that or if you're full it may sit on top of the food waiting to go down and that's a horrid feeling.

Sticking to tea plates worked for me, and I only had half a ready meal at that stage but everyone's different. What you want to avoid is overdoing it and getting that feeling like you have an overgrown Adams apple. In time you learn your own way and what your body tells you, just take it nice and steady

Back