• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

BBC NEWS TODAY

well its good to read the other end of the stick so to speak and focusing on the positives of having this surgery!! thanks for the link xx

I beleive that this is true, and that long term more beneficial for People and the cost to the NHS. What does concern me is the stigma and the idea that having bariatric surgery is the easy option a cop out, and in my experience it is definately not, but we really do need to be getting more people Pre- surgery into support groups where they can learn first hand from others that this is not a miracle cure although if you work with it and make life changes it does work....

Sorry end of lecture, getting off the soap box

Angie x

Angie i agree when you talk about wls being referred to as an easy option/cop out. Its ignorance that fuels that and we need more of us lovely peeps getting on our soapboxes and educating people all over the uk, unless you have walked in our shoes what do they really know? As for the government saying it should be a last resort well should it? In our situations it is but for people waiting why should it be? I'm trained to restrain difficult young people when they are in crisis, some people say it should be a last resort but my training says sometimes it should be the first thing you do to prevent injury or risk! Early intervention is the key in many difficult situations so why should wls be any different? The report talks about the savings that could be made and as its all about saving money these days why can't the decision makers see that? I'm now getting off my soapbox alongside Angie now ha ha xx

Thanks Allie, its nice to know there are like minded folk on here....Hugs

Angie, that is very well said...

All the years that I have struggled with my weight and then had consequential health problems I have asked one question when I visited my GP so regularly in despair...

I would ask the same 'is there any way you can help me with an exercise regime or is there anyway I can be helped to lose this weight, I can't do it no matter how many times I join classes'....

There was never anything going or on offer at all... it was down to me and Xenical... and I couldn't do it...

Allie... thanks to you and all others post op., I have learned more and received more encouragement on here than I have ever done in my life... this is what I needed and to learn...

Thanks again... keep on your soapboxes, we need that and thank you for your time and energy which is so inspiring to us....

Love, hugs and thanks, Bev xxx

We are creating lasting friendships, with understanding Allie, that is more important to me than any rep points....

What's important to me is taking people on my journey and always trying to share love and support along the way... just like you!

Love to everyone on here, you are all brillant... a great bunch to be with... thank you again xxx

I quite agree with the sentiments on this thread. Its about time we heard the other side of the argument.

I firmly believe that the benefits of wls far outweigh the cost to the NHS in the long-term. I'd cost the NHS much more over my lifetime if I don't have the operation.

I've also noticed in the past couple of days there have been a couple of local radio news reports in support of the surgery - saying that how it's not the easy way out that antagonists believe it to be; and that it can pay for itself within two/three years. Viva la bypass! :D

Back