• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

been approved but confused!

kanky

Hi there im new to this so bare with me :)
im 19 years old and from Scotland and iv been overweight my whole life. After trying and failing many diets i decided to go along to my GP and ask for some help. He decided id be a brilliant candidate for weight loss surgery and decided to refer me to the surgeon at nine wells hospital in Dundee. After a couple week i got a letter asking me to go and meet the surgeon (Mr Pavaan Patel). on my appointment date i was very nervous as it was a very big step, so basically he agreed that i was a great candidate for the surgery but id need to meet the dietitian and go through all the all the usual hoops. Mr Patel said that he would refer me to the dietitian and that he would like to meet with me again in 6 months. upon leaving the meeting i felt hopeful about getting the op but was still not sure if i was going to get it so i felt a bit in limbo. my mum was ecstatic and in tears but i was just confused. so the time had come to meet the dietitian and after the meeting i was even more confused! i was basicaly told what i already knew and nothing more. i tried to stick to what the dietitian said and try and lose weight but nothing would work and i got stressed about it so as usual i gave up. i decided to concentrate on quitting smoking as Mr Patel had also requested and because i was successful at that the weight piled on :(

anyways... time passed and i got my letter to meet with Mr Patel again (17th may) so as usual i was worried because this was when i was getting the yes or no about my surgery and i had also put on weight!

when i got into his office he told me that he wasn't pleased id put on weight but was happy that id quit smoking. he told me the usual stuff about losing weight to make it easier on my body during surgery and then i got my YES and the assurance that i WOULD be getting surgery :)

he referred me to the main dietitian that you see before surgery and said that i should see him in a couple weeks and that he would help me to lose weight and learn how ill be eating before and after surgery. i will be meeting with Mr Patel again along with the dietitian in about 3 months and then again in 6months to decide what surgery it is ill be getting (band or bypass) and hopefully work towards getting a date. Mr Patel said it should all be done in about 6-9 months so hopefully by the end of the year or the start of next year ill be getting my surgery and starting my new life! :)

so basically im on here to ask for help or just for a chat because im still quite confused about everything. (what steps next? how long will i have to wait? how do i lose weight before it? is it just a waiting game? how to make everything more faster?) and would really appreciate a chat because only a few family members know and i have my worries.

thanks for your help and sorry its a tad long :eek::p

Kirstie :D x

Hi Kirstie,
First , welcome to the site, there's loads of people here who can offer you advice about most aspects of weight loss surgery.
I'm not sure if there's anyone here who had their op done at Ninewells, as each hospital can vary in its criteria and waiting times.
Some people have to apply for funding, others don't .
But if you browse through the various forums and threads you might find some answers and hopefully there will be someone along soon who knows more about your hospital.
Good luck with your weight loss journey.
Em xxxxxxx

Welcome!I would advise you change you eating now,cut the fats and carbs down.Dont eat low fat/sugar stuff just good fresh food in smaller portions.Fill up with fruit and veg.Water will be your new best friend,Walk everywhere.The doc will be thrilled if you can lose a few pounds pre dietician appointment.Keep in mind why you are doing this to stay on the straight and narrow.Best of luck.maz x

Big an Bouncy said:
Welcome!I would advise you change you eating now,cut the fats and carbs down.Dont eat low fat/sugar stuff just good fresh food in smaller portions.Fill up with fruit and veg.Water will be your new best friend,Walk everywhere.The doc will be thrilled if you can lose a few pounds pre dietician appointment.Keep in mind why you are doing this to stay on the straight and narrow.Best of luck.maz x

Thanks so much for replying! I'm starting back at scottish slimmers tomorrow so hopefully I'll be put back on the right track! Finding it pretty hard but it's only been a couple days since I got approved so it's not too bad. Thanks x

Hi Kirsty just found this thread.

I have been working with the weight management team at Ninewells since May last year. I met with the surgeon only in July and getting a bypass next week.

How are you getting on with Scottish Slimmers, and are you any further forward with your surgery date?

T x

Hi Kirsty just found this thread.

I have been working with the weight management team at Ninewells since May last year. I met with the surgeon only in July and getting a bypass next week.

How are you getting on with Scottish Slimmers, and are you any further forward with your surgery date?

T x

Hi there

Not been in here in a while so just seen your message. Things are going good at the moment for me, had a meeting with my dietician today and she's happy with me because I've reached my 10% target weight so she's now going to write to my surgeon to get me a date :) I should see the surgeon again in about 4 weeks to decide what surgery I'm getting (either sleeve or bypass) and to set a date. They think it will be by jan/feb! So excited but nervous.

How have you got on since your bypass? Hope all is well.

Hello, how's things. Have you got your date yet and what are you going to have - bypass?

I'm doing great. Had the bypass at the start of September. Had some complications and ended up back in hospital for several weeks and required further intervention to sort things out. It was a scary time but well on the road to recovery now and don't regret making the decision to have the bypass, so please don't let reading this put you off or scare you.

Good luck! Tx

Hi, I am new here and from Baltimore, Maryland. My journey started in June of this year and I'm getting my surgery on December27th. The way i lost my pie surgery weight was by eating add if i already had the surgery. Protein first in mouth at every meal, cutting portion sizes down and eating every 3-4 hours. Exercising is hard for me at times cause i have bad knees, but chair exercises are the best. Walking is the next best exercise. Protein shakes are good too. I hope this helps you, and good luck.

Back