• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Newbie saying hello and asking for advice

CarrieKins

Hi, I am Carrie from Kent :D
I am waiting to have the RNY procedure.

I went to kings yesterday to finally meet Mr Patel, after starting my pre op journey at KCH nearly a year ago... agh!

I have gone down from 22 stone to 18.9 on my own in the last 6 months. I am 5 foot 2 inches.

Before yesterday's appointment I had been feeling pretty positive about the whole surgery. Mr Patel has agreed to do it in either the Christmas or Easter school holidays! (I am a teacher) However, he is telling me he doesn't expect me to get below about 13 stone. Leaving my BMI at around 38 still...

Now, I am wondering, is this really worth it for just 5 stones weight loss?? To put myself through major surgery to never be a normal size anyway?

I am so torn right now. yesterdays clinic put things slightly into perspective for me... There were people so much larger than I am there and also I spoke to 3 people, all of whom have regained their weight back after surgery.

I am left just not knowing where to go with this now.
My funding has been agreed and everything is ready to go... now I get cold feet???

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!

They are always cautious about average weight Loss and it is just that average. You can get wherever you want to if you work at it :)

Hi, I am Carrie from Kent :D
I am waiting to have the RNY procedure.

I went to kings yesterday to finally meet Mr Patel, after starting my pre op journey at KCH nearly a year ago... agh!

I have gone down from 22 stone to 18.9 on my own in the last 6 months. I am 5 foot 2 inches.

Before yesterday's appointment I had been feeling pretty positive about the whole surgery. Mr Patel has agreed to do it in either the Christmas or Easter school holidays! (I am a teacher) However, he is telling me he doesn't expect me to get below about 13 stone. Leaving my BMI at around 38 still...

Now, I am wondering, is this really worth it for just 5 stones weight loss?? To put myself through major surgery to never be a normal size anyway?

I am so torn right now. yesterdays clinic put things slightly into perspective for me... There were people so much larger than I am there and also I spoke to 3 people, all of whom have regained their weight back after surgery.

I am left just not knowing where to go with this now.
My funding has been agreed and everything is ready to go... now I get cold feet???

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!

Hi hun, my experience is that most people lose around 5 stone Fairly easily. After that its up to you. I am 1 year and 4 months out 13+ stone down and still going. I work hard at it and am very determined - as Victoria said it is entirely upto you how much you can put into it.

Welcome to the forum CarrieKins.... I too had my operation at Kings back in 2009 and it was done by doctor Patel... Very lovely man he is... I have also regained all the 6 stones i lost and some... I am now even bigger than where i started ( waiting for revision surgery)....You possibly could lose more than 5 stones.... Im sure you will be fine though. All the best for the future.... xx

I think they are are just trying to manage your expectations hunni - this is all about lifestyle change for the rest of your life and, although I need to lose 11 stone, just to know I could lose 5 stone (70 lbs - try putting 70 x 500g packs of butter in a supermarket basket and lifting it!) would make it worthwhile for me. Only you can answer the question whether this is right for you and whether you are ready - but there are loads of people here with their stories and I find it very helpful to hear other peoples experiences. Whatever you choose, best of luck and happiness to you xxx

Hunni, I'm in week 5 post bypass. I started my journey at 18.5stone (size 24) on 20 April 13, and am now 15.5stone (size 18/20). I did lose from a similar starting weight point about 20yrs ago (thru self starving and diet pills from a dodgy clinic in Bermondsey). I made it to 12.5stone and was a size 14. I exercised 7 days a week. The weight went back on when I stopped starving myself, ditched the pills and stopped exercise.

The people you know who have put the weight back on after their bypass must take responsibility, as it is not a fault in the physical procedure. That's them - not you. It won't happen if you commit to your journey for life. TBH, as Witch says any loss is great for our health.

When I saw my provider back in April I explained that I have a pretty positive body image having been big since a toddler and I didn't want to be a 'skinny mini' with loads of saggy skin to deal with. He told me he was pretty sure I'd never be anything other than curvy. I was thrilled to hear that - and so hope he is right! The purpose of my journey is to keep as well as I am for as long as possible, and carrying a 10 yr old child around with me just isn't good for my health.

We are here. Don't lose faith. You can do it xx

Hi Carrie, I am now 13 weeks post post and its the best thing I ever did.

What set me of on my journey was a friend (who I don't see very often) I saw in Tesco. My husband didn't even know her, he was so shocked when he realised who she was as she had lost all her weight.

She was 5ft 2inch and she went from 18 stone to 8.5 stone in 18 months. She said most of the weight came off in the first 12 months but she kept losing till she was happy and then increased the calories (not the amount of food) to stop losing weight.

The next day I went to see the doctor and the rest is history.

Good luck, I know you'll make the right decision for you.

Jane.

Worth it for 5 stone? Before surgery I would probably have said no. Having had it I'd say, hell yes ! ! I can't tell you how much better I felt and looked after losing 5 stone. Granted not as good as now that I've lost over 12, but 5 stone improved my health, confidence and happiness beyond belief. However, it is a very personal and individual decision. It takes courage, hard work and an enormous life style change . Not everyone has a good result and some people are very poorly after surgery. You are right to think about it carefully. Research as much as you can so your decision is an informed one. Very good luck and congratulations on your weight loss so far xx

Welcome to the forum, I am 5 weeks post bypass, I haven't weighed myself yet so not sure of weight loss. Just a question though how can they tell how much weight loss you will loose? my consultant never said anything about weight loss expectations but a friend of mine was 23 stone and she lost 10 stone of her weight in six months so I am thinking everyone is different. Good luck on your journey xx

Hi and welcome. I was in a similar situation that I was quoted approx 5 stone loss with my bypass.

I started at 206kg on referral, dropped to 163 by op day. I'm now 5 weeks out and weigh 148kg.

To me its not just what I loose with the bypass but also that its main purpose will be to help me with weight maintenance.

The average is 33% of your heaviest (not starting) body weight. Although I know folk who have lost 50-60%.

All the best for your journey, like others have said it all depends what you do with it. It won't do all the work itself.

Sent from my iPhone using WLSurgery

Hello Carrie. I too was at Kings yesterday for an appointment with Mr Patel ( wonder if I was one of the larger than you ones ! ).

You are lucky, I started my journey Feb. last year, and was expecting to be given my date, as this is what I was told would be happening, to be told waiting time of 6 months !

Agree in that Mr Patel came across as a nice man though.

I have been transferred across from St Thomas' as was first told I would be under the knife of Mr Botha, feel like I have had to start all over again.

YOu have to go with what is right for you. Maybe see how things go, and if you get to your op date and feel you can go this alone, ask if you could wait a little longer, I am sure they would rather you be certain , than not x x x

Hi and welcome

My Patel did my gatric band last year and told me to expect a weight loss of 4-5 stone as I'd need get below 15stone,oh how wrong he was here I am in the 10stones from 21st 7lb,only one thing to do,PROVE HIM WRONG
It's not down to the surgeon at the end of the day how much weight u loose is up to you as you're the one in control xx good luck xx

Never* get below 15st that was meant to say xx

Back