• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Decided to go for it, NHS Styley!

♥ Nicki ♥

So my original plan was to save for a wls to be done privately, it would take a long time to save but i think its something that i need. Hubby would be saving most of it because i only work part time, but having thought about it a lot i can't take his money for this. Mainly because i think i have a good case to have it done on the NHS, i have work full time since i was 16, up until last year when i had to go part time because of my health. I've never had any serious health problems that needed intervention. I am 25 in 2 months and weight almost 23 stone, i have chronic asthma, bad joints, severe depression and all would ease with weight loss, having dieted for over a decade the only thing i have ever losed is a self esteem.
So i have emailed pals, who forwarded my email to patient experience team who have contacted the commisioning team. Have no idea what this means but it feels like progress.
My BMI is 51ish now and down south you have to have a BMI of 60, but if history is anything to go by, i'll probably be there eventually anyway. Its going to be a long road but at least i feel like i'm trying something now, not just failing at weight watchers.
Has anyone got any advice for trying to get funding when they don't meet the criteria?

*sorry for the mamoth post*

Blimey they have harsh criteria, Im not sure if any of your conditions are considered co morbidities but good luck x

Hi Nikki

Where do you live? I know what you mean about saving up for surgery, I too was the same just wanted to done but thought about the cost and what my family would have to go without for me to have this done. However I had a call from my Dr saying I had funding. My BMI is nearly 43 and I don't have any underlying health problems. I don't want to get excited at the moment that I am lucky enough to able to have surgery, I shall ask the consultant tomorrow. I keep thinking they will say that they have made a mistake and take it away, as that is how my luck goes!!!
So Nikki keep on I am sure you should get approval. When my Dr submitted the forms the PCT sent them back and said the forms had changed and we had to do them all again. I sent a letter and my Dr said she wrote a very strong letter too so I was surprised when she said my funding had been approved. If they do reject it must give a reason why, my Dr said we would then object to this reason and keep going back. So I would go to the Dr and ask them to get the ball rolling. Let me know how you get on

Nicky:)

Get on a weight management course,cos they may ask you to do one eventually,and you have to be on one for about a tear.Proove all the ways you have tried and failed at dieting.Explain how your weight impacts on your life/sex life,depression,sleep probs,medical complaints,fertility probs,lack of self esteem and confidence.Lay it on thick dont hold anything back.I cry every time I open up and they can see how sxxt my life is at times.

Well best laid plans and all that, my dr says my chances of getting funding are slim to none, because of the high criteria and my ailments aren't serious enough. Seem pretty serious to me though don't really no what to do now. Seriously considering moving, can't see it happening though!

Well best laid plans and all that, my dr says my chances of getting funding are slim to none, because of the high criteria and my ailments aren't serious enough. Seem pretty serious to me though don't really no what to do now. Seriously considering moving, can't see it happening though!

Sorry to hear that Nicki :(

Good luck Nicky, go get your bloods done to check for diabetes and also a sleep apnoea test. Will either assure you that you don't have them or give you the comorbidities you need to get the surgery xxxx

Oh what a shame. Good luck whatever happens. SOrry about your setback. I hear of lots of brave ladies here who have fought the good fight to get funding when the odds were stacked against them. You aren't alone and not all is lost. x :hug99:

All I can say is keep badgering the PCT as much as possible. I got my op really quickly so I haven't had the problems you have as my bmi was over 60. Sorry I haven't had any other words of advice.

But that is what your Dr thinks not what the PCT has said. You need to ask your Dr to support you and send of the forms they will either say yes or no and then you can go from there.

Nicky:)

I got this for you x

PCT Surgery Funding Criteria

Portsmouth City,

BMI over 60 or over 45 with serious comorbidities such as established ischaemic heart disease, type 2 diabetes requiring oral medication or insulin, life-threatening sleep apnoea, severe uncontrolled hypertension, benign intracranial hypertension, history of transient ischaemic attacks or stroke, severe lower limb major joint disease requiring orthopaedic intervention which is precluded on safety grounds due to the patient’s BMI

i am near portsmouth myself...we do have the WORST pct to get funding for this....get your GP on your side due to your other health issues and kep pestering them! that is what i say

Best of luck xx

I got this for you x

PCT Surgery Funding Criteria

Portsmouth City,

BMI over 60 or over 45 with serious comorbidities such as established ischaemic heart disease, type 2 diabetes requiring oral medication or insulin, life-threatening sleep apnoea, severe uncontrolled hypertension, benign intracranial hypertension, history of transient ischaemic attacks or stroke, severe lower limb major joint disease requiring orthopaedic intervention which is precluded on safety grounds due to the patient’s BMI

I still cant get over this criteria. My mum recently died and the primary cause of death was ischaemic heart disease (secondery, obesity and type 2 diabetes) , if you have this condition you are on borrowed time anyway. Even more so if you have a high BMI as they wont offer any treatment to help with your heart condition. To only offer wls to people with some potentially life threatening diseases unless their BMI is over 60 or they have diabetes is terrible.

Sorry for the rant but by the time my mum developed heart disease it was too late for her to be considered for wls, had she had it a few years ago Im sure she would still be here now :cry:

my doctor wasnt even going to request funding for me as my BMI was ONLY 58 when i went to see him...but i had no other health issues...but then he didn't have the right height for me so only after my privately paid consultation did i go back to him and get him to request funding

Back