• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Beginning of wls journey

Lou2612

Hi my name is Louise I’m at the start of my journey and wanted to know of peoples process with Guys and St Thomas hospital.
My dr referred me in July because a consultant I saw for my cholesterol which is high and she recommended I look into wls.
My bmi is 53 and I’ve also got pre diabetes which is being monitored. I got my first app though for nov to go to the group meeting at guys and was wondering what happens next I don’t no anyone who had wls so got no one to speak to lol and there’s not much info on the web

Hi Hun,
Each hospital works things a little differently so hopefully someone who's been through Guys an St James will be along soon. As an example of differences, my trust only does the group meetings after the MDT that moves you to tier 4 (so a few months before surgery). I didn't know anyone else who'd had wls but found this site and I didn't need anyone as everyone here is so lovely and helpful.
I started off searching for posts from my area, try to keep to more recent ones as things have changed quite a lot over the years and waiting times vary immensely. I find reading people's diary's and introductions really helpful. It's nice for so many reasons but aside from being informative and insightful, it also helps with motivation by giving you a focus... Something to aspire to if that makes sense. We're a lovely bunch and have a wide range of people at all stages of the journey. I'm still pre op but I've been here a while as my journey hasnth been straightforward lol
Ask lots of questions and read, read, read xx

Hi my name is Louise I’m at the start of my journey and wanted to know of peoples process with Guys and St Thomas hospital.
My dr referred me in July because a consultant I saw for my cholesterol which is high and she recommended I look into wls.
My bmi is 53 and I’ve also got pre diabetes which is being monitored. I got my first app though for nov to go to the group meeting at guys and was wondering what happens next I don’t no anyone who had wls so got no one to speak to lol and there’s not much info on the web
I'm not with your hospital, but just wanted to say hi and I 2nd what Parsnip said x

Welcome, you’ve come to the right place, have a good look around and read some diary’s, someone from your area may well reply to you on this thread, the best advice is research research research research
Good luck xx

Hi and welcome:) xx

Welcome and good luck, I had surgery at Luton and started with a BMI of 51. Like the others said research as much as you can. There are also weight loss surgery groups on Facebook so you might find one from your area and hospital on there. We are all here to help too xxxx

Thank you all for replying it’s all quite daunting lol I’ve read loads of people experiences and it’s amazing how much wls changes peoples lives. Just wondering the tier 3 that I keep reading who puts you on it is it your own gp or the hospital Bariatric team my gp hasn’t mentioned it just referred me to guys :)

Thank you all for replying it’s all quite daunting lol I’ve read loads of people experiences and it’s amazing how much wls changes peoples lives. Just wondering the tier 3 that I keep reading who puts you on it is it your own gp or the hospital Bariatric team my gp hasn’t mentioned it just referred me to guys :)
You should find that once you’ve been accepted at the hospital you are then in tier 3 xx

Back