• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Best exercise to tone up

Mrs Noodles

I'm having a gastric sleeve done a week on Friday and would like to know what is the best exercise in members experience to tone up arms and thighs to prevent loose skin?

I won't begin again exercise until my consultant says its safe to do so, just planning ahead.

Sadly loose skin is part of rapid weight loss. My consultant said he's seen people lose 10 stone with no loose skin, and people lose 4 stone with loads - it's very individual.

There are some areas that will not, no matter what, tone up. But saying that thinking about exercise going forward is a good thing.

I swim a lot and find that's helping. Swimming to the point of being out of breath and getting your heart rate up, making every movement big and strong, does help tone every part of your body. You have to put some effort in though - some people just "old lady" it up and down the pool and that does very little in the way of toning.

If you're a member of a gym, or planning to join one once recovered, you could always talk to the trainers there and see what they recommend for your body type. You can tell them your problem areas and they will be able to tailor a regime that works for you.

Good luck with the surgery - let us all know how it goes.

x

Defintiely agree with Slinky. The skin issue is very individual, I think it also depends on your age and how long you've carried the extra weight. I've been up and down all my life, am a total of 8 st lighter than my heaviest, but have only lost 3st 10 on this wls journey. Also, I'm in my mid 40's and have had terrible stretch marks since I was a teenager. I read somewhere that the tendency to get stretch marks is also an indicator on whether the skin will ping back. I'm one of the ones where all the skin I used to have........ I still have. Hopefully having an arm lift later this year.

Sadly loose skin is part of rapid weight loss. My consultant said he's seen people lose 10 stone with no loose skin, and people lose 4 stone with loads - it's very individual.

There are some areas that will not, no matter what, tone up. But saying that thinking about exercise going forward is a good thing.

I swim a lot and find that's helping. Swimming to the point of being out of breath and getting your heart rate up, making every movement big and strong, does help tone every part of your body. You have to put some effort in though - some people just "old lady" it up and down the pool and that does very little in the way of toning.

If you're a member of a gym, or planning to join one once recovered, you could always talk to the trainers there and see what they recommend for your body type. You can tell them your problem areas and they will be able to tailor a regime that works for you.

Good luck with the surgery - let us all know how it goes.

x

Thank you for the good luck and the great reply, your right it is down to the individual and the kind of skin they have. I am going to join a gym or swim once I get the all clear. x

Defintiely agree with Slinky. The skin issue is very individual, I think it also depends on your age and how long you've carried the extra weight. I've been up and down all my life, am a total of 8 st lighter than my heaviest, but have only lost 3st 10 on this wls journey. Also, I'm in my mid 40's and have had terrible stretch marks since I was a teenager. I read somewhere that the tendency to get stretch marks is also an indicator on whether the skin will ping back. I'm one of the ones where all the skin I used to have........ I still have. Hopefully having an arm lift later this year.

Thanks Bear, I have a feeling that I will have lose skin as my arms are really big at the moment. I also have stretch marks from 2 pregnancies. Good luck with your arm lift if you decide to go for it x

Good moisturiser and water is your best hope along with good skin to start with! You will either snap back or you won't!

Good moisturiser and water is your best hope along with good skin to start with! You will either snap back or you won't!
Second moisturiser! Using unrefined shea butter and can't believe my stretch marks are disappearing fast. Seems logical exercise will help too.

Back