• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Confused and getting cold feet!

bearded_cavalier

Saw my GP today to tell her about my recent consult and that I was inclined to go ahead and pay for a gastric sleeve op privately. She seemed really surprised, and told me it was a really 'drastic step' and that bariatric surgery was not a decision to make lightly. She urged me to think through my options really carefully and, in particular, she suggested that a balloon or band might be a better option than the sleeve. Having looked at the pros and cons of all the options, and having been recommended for the sleeve by my surgeon, I'm now getting cold feet. This is buttressed by the fact that my mum, who was initially supportive, seems to have become uncomfortable with the idea and now says I should give dieting 'one more go' to see if I can do things the 'natural way'.

I feel so confused about the whole thing again. Yesterday I had made up my mind to go ahead with the operation at the end of August, but now I'm in two minds again.

Part of me is saying that's I've done all the research I needed to do and I should just go with the decision I've made.

The other part is saying to postpone the operation until late October. Things would be calmer at work then and I suppose I would have time to make sure in my own head I am comfortable with the decision I've made.

Help!
:banghead:

There is no harm in waiting; I know once you have the idea in mind and have done your research all you want to do is get moving but October isn't that far away at all. If you are paying for your surgery, then you are more in control and can decide when you'd like to go ahead.

I didn't have a lot of support in my decision to have surgery, I know its important to so many of us but sometimes you have to drown others out and do what is best for you.

Good luck mate! xx

I had a similar situation. I had funding and decided to try dieting one more time. For me I had a supportive GP. I just wasn't ready and it then took another 2 years before I agreed with my gp that it was time. I don'tregret waiting - I needed that time to make peace with my decision.

Sorry to hear you are confused- at this time it is important to remember the reasons behind why you want weight loss surgery.

My reasons were that I was fed up with yo-yo dieting, feeling tired all the time, joint pain and having to buy clothes because they fitted not because they looked decent.

I agree that waiting another couple of months to be really sure is for the best. Speak to your providers support team or a local support group.

Hi,

Wow reading your post was like reading my mind!

I am in 2 minds too if I should have band or sleeve or nothing at all! It's all going round in my head and I can't make a decision.

I have found reading others experiences helpful although I still have 101 questions to ask!!

Hope you decide whatever your journey! Will follow your posts as we could end up with the same outcome!

Take care x

Hi bearded_cavalier

I currently have a band, its been 3 years since I have had it. Unfortunately for me I cudnt lose any more weight and therefore, have decided to go ahead with a sleeve. I had only lost 2 stone by having the band to which cost me £6k :sigh:. I am happy now after reading so many reviews that a sleeve is best for me because with a band its like a yo-yo with fills and I am so tired of trying so man diets that a sleeve is definitely the one for me. No more yo-yo dieting any more!

Good luck in whatever decision you make but im sure with whatever you chose you will surely be happy with :553:

Good decision- lets you have more time to sort things out mentally so you are fully committed when it comes.

There are a lot of mental adjustments to make so giving yourself the required time and space is always good.

Hi there Beardy!

I had my sleeve on 30 April and am down just over 4 stone now including pre op diet. My one regret is that I didn't do it sooner. Yes, it's been tough and it's a whole new way or living but it's the most caring thing I have ever done for myself and along with regular psychological therapy sessions and attending a support group I am free from my food demons for the first time EVER.

Congratulations on making such a big commitment to yourself, it's the beginning of an exciting journey and I wish you the best of luck.

Stacey

Hi
I had my sleeve done on the 29th April, and am now 6 stones down including pre op. it is not easy, it is a whole new way of life, but it's the best thing I have ever done for myself, I am still learning to eat again 3rd week on softs and there have been trials and tribulations along the way but I would do it again in a heartbeat. Go for it and good luck, my only advice is follow the rules...

Back