• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Best WLS for thyroid disease (autoimmune)

newcy

Hi, has anyone else got thyroid disease or autoimmune disease? I have autoimmune hypothyroid disease and am waiting for my first appointment. I was wondering if anyone else with thyroid or autoimmne disease has been told whether one surgery is better than another for their disease?

I have SLE which is autoimmune, along with psoriasis and psoriatric arthritus, both AI also. My bariatric co-ordinator recommended bypass as being more effective and therefore having a more rapid and more substantial effect on my health problems.

I have a thyroid disorder and was recommended teh bypass so weight loss would be more successful.

LIN X

I have ustable primary hypothyroidism and have been on treatment for 21 years now. Whilst it was not discussed openly by my surgeon as a factor that would influence the surgery decision, i had already taken it into consideration when deciding in advance of my clinic appointments which surgery i would prefer.
Due to the low metabolic rate i have, i figured i needed all the help i could get, so the extra malabsorption with the bypass was always going to be a big help to me. My surgeon agreed that the bypass was the best op for me in relation to my eating habits anyway.
Personally i think that the decision about which op to have will be more dependent on your eating habits and how much you need to lose. Chat to your surgeon about it. I'd be interested to know if it influences the decision. x x

Thank you all for your responses - I really appreciate you sharing your experiences. I had wondered whether the malabsorption aspect of bypass may be more suited to weight loss with hypothyroidism. Shelbell you have just done amazing and jaynefrances you're doing fantastic. Best of luck Linksi, I look forward to hearing how you get on. Thanks again X

I had autoimmune Graves disease so an over active thyroid treated with surgery.

Now its underactive!!

When the overactive was treated with drugs I put back on all the weight I lost - unheard of apparently!!

I've had a DS so my maladsorption is much more than a bypass.

However I must be absorbing it cos my recent blood tests show I was being over- supplemented to an extent it was giving me palpitations - it affected my heart before.

Good luck with your research

xxxx

Thanks Angela, that is really interesting - I do wonder how much they actually know about autoimmune disease? Wow! You've really done amazing - congratulations and thanks again x

Back