• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

andrea464

I'm Andrea, and I'm new. :) I'm married with one child (7 1/2 years old).
I've been overweight or obese as long as I can remember. I've always justified things externally but internally I'm miserable. I've gone back and forth with diets, always failing. I've lost a decent amount of weight several times before but always gained it back.
I had always said I'd never do WLS. I'm a registered nurse and saw a lot of people with post-op complications. But now I'm facing the complications from my own body and the effects of the obesity and it's taking its toll. I've seen several coworkers who have had great success with the surgery, although some had some complications (all had RNY). Another issue against WLS for me was the RNY portion- I'm nervous about moving intestines around. :)

Then I found out about the gastric sleeve and I know I have another option. I'm still honestly torn about which option I want to pursue.

I'm going to the insurance mandated education session next week. This is the furthest I've gotten in planning for this sort of surgery. I'm nervous but I think more than anything I'm excited about a new beginning and the potential to be healthy again! I have an autoimmune disease (rheumatoid arthritis), and I want the weight to come off so I don't have the added stress. I don't want to be known as the "fat mommy" anymore- I want to keep up with DD!

Hiya! Good luck with it all. I'm assuming you're American, how does the cost of surgery compare with the Uk?

Wishing you all the best with your journey.

Hi Andrea, and welcome. Good luck with everything, hope you will make the right decision for you and everything will go well. Personally I had the bypass and I don't regret one thing, but of course it's a personal choice. Good luck with whatever you decide. X

Yes, I'm in the states. I didn't realize that this was mostly UK folks in here until after I'd joined! Surgery is surgery, right?
Cost will depend. I have private insurance through my job (nurse at a hospital). I'll be able to take half off of any charges through the hospital (since they'd just be paying themselves) and still have funds in a healthcare reimbursement account we're allowed to set up (have about $1000 left in there).
I have a three month period where I'll have to do diet and exercise logs before they can send for surgery approval. That will put the dates around the holidays, and then they'll need to send off for insurance approval (no reason for it not to be approved, but we have to do it), so it'll probably be early 2014 before surgery. I can set up another $2500 USD to come out of my paychecks for the healthcare reimbursement account for next year.
They way they charge for somethings is silly though. At the hospital I'll get a bill from the hospital, a bill from the anesthesia group and a bill from the surgeon. So even with my half off discount, I'll still have some hefty bills! I wish we could get surgery in before the end of the year so I don't have to start my deductible over!

That all sounds very complicated! Some people here get surgery on the NHS so they don't have to pay, but it's by no means a given.

I'd have no chance as I'm not big enough, so I (like many) am paying for it myself. It's a big commitment but I'd rather be slim than have a new car!

All the very best with your journey!

Back