• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

RNY Gastric Bypass bike or swim

carol150

past my goal down to 11st
hi can anyone tell me when i can get on my bike or go swimming i had my op on 8/4/10 and am afraid i will end up with a load of flab so want to nip it in the butt before it gets out of hand i would love to go back to aqua swim but don't want to go back to soon and to my self harm.any help please

I would say at a month post op, you should be fine to do both now. Just take it easy and listen to your body.

I'm assuming though that your wounds are fully healed now. If not, then best wait till they are before getting in the pool to avoid the risk of infection.

Sam i'm gonna disagree with you there even tho i'm pre op! I've just treated myself to a new bike and i asked the question when i went for my pre op as to how soon i could ride it... I was told to leave it three months. I'm guessing cycling uses more of those abdomen muscles than swimming which is more upper arm muscles....

I'd say check with your provider at your check up with regards to the bike...

xx

How odd Julie, because Ana told me 4 weeks when she came to see me on the ward after the op. I can remember the exact words. She said "although you feel rotten now, you will be back to normal in a week or two and can start exercising after 4 weeks"

I am sure other Walsall patients have been told the same.

Carol, as with all things, check with your own provider.

Hands up to you for feeling up to exercise after 4 weeks. I tried it once at 6 weeks, and my stomach muscles ached like they did immediately post op. It was more like 8-10 that I started again, and that was only gentle.

Be careful, make sure you are properly ready. Guidelines are generic, only you know your body, so please listen to it.

Rx

Yeah, i'm guessing it depends on whether you have keyhole or open too. As i'll be open it will probably be different for me than a keyhole patient...

Good luck with having the fortitude to be considering it now lol xx

Yeah, i'm guessing it depends on whether you have keyhole or open too. As i'll be open it will probably be different for me than a keyhole patient...

Good point Julie, I hadnt considered that... Makes sense that you would need to wait a while longer after open surgery.

As before Carol, see what your team, or your GP advises. Good luck hun

Hi,
I had my op keyhole on 16th April and started swimming gently last week.
I dont do olympic style but I just did gentle laps for thirty minutes then chill in Jacuzzi.
It saves me from sitting onthe sofa x
Shells

Back