• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

birmingham heartlands hospital

Laura b

2011 a new begginning
hi im new to this just finding my way around reading peoples sucess storys firstly ild like to say a big well done to all of u that are doin so well brilliant wl from what i see and to all thoses just starting out like myself i look forward to sharing my journey with u all but also following all your journeys.
so in regards to my title on this message is anyone or has anyone had wl surgery at birrmingham heartlands hospital and do u know there procedure is after a referal from ur gp? iv been to weight management in the past and also seen dieticians i said to the gp would i have to go through all that again but she said no as they have on my records that ive done that and failed that now ill just be refered straight for the surgery is this how it works ive been reading a few ppls threads and they have said differant but i know it depends what hospial u go too so ild be grateful if theres anyone that has or are going for surgery there to post a reply thanks u so much xxxx

hi laura'
wellcome to the site i,m due to have a gastric sleeve at heartlands hospital i first seen the surgeon in april this year and he agreed to the surgery my funding was already in place from my pct wen i had my first apointment due to a cock up at walsall manor , (not there fault though) any way seen mr kumar then had a bit of a group meeting 3 of us lol was told all about the procedure's we were haveing then told we will recive a letter with a date to start the pre opp deit and a date for surgery that as i say was back in april i have been told there are 9 in front of me on the waiting list and still waitin to get a date there are many still wating so i have no idea how long the wait is at present so its just a waiting game i,m afraid
any questions plz ask
regards steve

I had my gastric bypass at Heartlands in May.
My GP gave me a choice of there or Luton when I went to him in August 2009. Got my first appointment there in dec 09 and then just played the waiting game till I got a date x

thanks so much steve and good luck with your op and keep us updated xx

thank you scooby just a waiting game then but will b worth the wait xxxx

Yep its a frustrating process at times. I felt like I was constantly hassling them and they changed their minds about my weight loss targets a couple of times which was annoying but so worth it in the end x

Hi laura, he hoops you have to jump though and the time waiting is sooooooo frustrating but try and help yourself by researching, and making the small changes now that will get you ready for later, come to the support group and meet people who have been there done that, and I am sure it will all help to move the time on and get you mentally prepared because it is still an area you have to deal with....any questions feel free to email me, as I head up the support group along with working for Heartlands.

Hi mable, please know that the group is a very friendly and fun bunch of people and you will be made to feel welcome, I really do feel that for the ones who get involoved and come to the group they do so much better in the long run with the encouragement, so Look forward to seeing you...

I am new here & just starting my gastric band course at Heartlands. I have been told that there is a year long waiting list but you all seem to get yours done a lot sooner than that. I know it is jump through the hoops & wait but has anyone waited 2 years so far?
Like most I have tried all the diets going & been at slimming world for 4 years & lost 1.5 stone then because I am disabled they changed my meds & the whole lot plus more went back on. I need to lose 7 stone or be stuck in a wheelchair for life

I am new here & just starting my gastric band course at Heartlands. I have been told that there is a year long waiting list but you all seem to get yours done a lot sooner than that. I know it is jump through the hoops & wait but has anyone waited 2 years so far?
Like most I have tried all the diets going & been at slimming world for 4 years & lost 1.5 stone then because I am disabled they changed my meds & the whole lot plus more went back on. I need to lose 7 stone or be stuck in a wheelchair for life
Hi there and good luck! I first saw the team at Heartlands in August 2014, and had my gastric sleeve done in September 2016. If you want you can read how my journey went in my diary - Pennie's Sleeve diary in the WLS Diary section of the forum.

Back