• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Birmingham Newbie!

Toddshar35

Hi all my name is Sharon and I'm having weight loss surgery on the NHS I went to a seminar yesterday about the different types of surgery available to me. I'm thinking of having a gastric band fitted but I was wondering what your opinions were on the different surgeries. I'm 22 stone and have struggled with my weight all my life.

Hi hun I'm in Brum too, I had a bypass but I self funded, just wanted to say welcome xx

Welcome! I'm going to be self funding, but wanted to wish you all the best with whatever option you decide upon :)

Hello newbie, welcome a board! Im a bypasser I at first thought about a band, all ve very briefly as had only really heard of the band , but after meeting the team, talking about my relationship with food the bypass was clearly the only way for me
look at all the options available to you , research, research, research and only then make the best choice for you thats what I did I have not a single regret
good luck with everything

Hi all my name is Sharon and I'm having weight loss surgery on the NHS I went to a seminar yesterday about the different types of surgery available to me. I'm thinking of having a gastric band fitted but I was wondering what your opinions were on the different surgeries. I'm 22 stone and have struggled with my weight all my life.

Hi Toddshar35 I am having a bypass with NHS although at Salford Royal on the 30th March, let your surgical team guide you, I was hell bent on having the band, but after meeting with my surgical team & once had they explained the pros, cons and what they though would be best for me, I had a complete turn a round and choose the bypass. I have to say the experience I have had at Salford has been fantastic, very informative.

Hi dizzyday71 thank you and good luck with your surgery at the end of the month. I'm waiting for my appointment to come through to see the surgeon but I think I will ask for his advice and discuss with him what is best. I was all for a band but after reading some of the threads on here I'm not so sure now.

Hi Sharon, welcome to the forum. I'm having a bypass with the nhs. I saw a consultant prior to the seminar and he said to me that bands are going out of favour a bit and that he recommended the bypass. I did still research the options but came to the same conclusion as him. As los in it says, do lots of research and speak to your surgeon to discuss what would be your best option. Best of luck to you :)

Hi BFB and thank you. I think I'm going to wait and see what the surgeon says and also continue with my research until I receive my appointment for him.

Hi toddshar35, I think that is the best way to go, before you make a firm decision. It will all come round very quickly for you, good luck with your research, I don't know how brave you are, but I have watched all of the procedure's on line, which helped me understand what each procedure entailed, it could help you too?

Hi dizzyday71 that's a good idea I never thought of watching the procedures. When I was at the seminar Monday at the end they asked us what procedure we wanted I said a band and was given a booklet that we keep and its a step by step guide from before and after. I'm just hoping that when I meet with my surgeon I'll be given the option to change if wanting to.

Back