• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Blocked Sinus and constant sneezing HELP surgery looming

alfiemoomin

Dear all on WLS.... please help i suffer with rhinitis and have had this summer 11 weeks constant blocked sinus', i am booked to have surgery 7th Oct, and as much as i know it'll not stop the procedure taking place it certainly will impact upon my recovery.

I have managed to unblock 1 'nostril' but can shift the last of the dreaded mucas ( clear by the way and i know its TMI but relevant as not infection)

I need to have some remedies as i don't want sneezing post surgery to cause pain

will they still let me take antihistamine? i take them day and night all year round their are very important to stop me sneezing but like i say this years been really bad. Live rural and lots of rape being grown (the tall bright yellow stuff)....

Please help me stop clear nasal passages, and calm my sinuses down from spasm

all ideas welcome, we have 9 days guys to fix it...... challenge on!

xxx:wave_cry::eek::sigh::):p

have you tried otravine nasal spray ( not sure i have spelt it right) we have surgeons at work who prescribe this as a pre med for nasal surgery, and staff I work with use it when they have blocked noses etc/ you should be able to to get it over the counter

Hi Alfie,

I also suffer from rhinitis - do you get the not-so-lovely thumping headaches? I had surgery a year and a half ago to widen my airways (inferior turbinates) and a full sinus blast out and I honestly haven't looked back. The difference has been incredible!! My understanding is that I'll need further sinus cleanses in future but all is good at the min :)

I know you said you tried steam, i found a scorching hot shower did me good. You could also try a hot towel across your nose and cheeks when watching telly ? What about an Indian head massage which concentrates on the sinuses? Hopi ear candles? The rinses are also good but do it with warmed water. Even try massaging your own sinus areas too whilst trying to clear out the blockages.

I know you prob know this but try not to be in very dry/hot environments as it would dry you out and block you up more.

Olbas oil too :) xx

I feel your pain, I've also had sinus surgery for nasal polyps. Otrivine is amazing, you get it from behind the counter at boots. I'd also suggest some Sudafed tablets - the blue ones from behind the counter they have pseudoephedrine in them and dry you out quick smart!

Perhaps cut down on lactose/dairy too until surgery as dairy causes more mucus and if you're really desperate you can buy a sinus washing pump contraption off Amazon - my dad got one after his 3rd sinus op, it's gross but it does the trick - flushes all the snot out with salt water! #gross

absolutely brilliant and hilarious... where else in the world can i come and get support and so much help on snot?!... love this forum

thank you so so much.....so worried about sneezing post op

xx ill nip chemist xx

i am so chuffed i have cleared my airways, i have taken you advice with nasla spray and sudafed and today i smelt perfume on a work colleage. its been 11 weeks since i have been abe to smell!

knwo it sounds daft but i really have been eating food with memoriy of what they smell like. i have just about been abe to smell via taste (if that makes ense)

anyways wanted to pop back on this thread and say a massive thank you all xxx very much apreciated and like my new clever buddies xxx

Excellent news. Banish the snot - sneezing post op is not pleasant.

Back