• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

New and looking for help and advice

lynna

Hi all, my name is Lynn. In 2010 I lost around 8st going from 18st to 10st at my lowest. Its now 2013 and 6st of that was back.

I say was, because in the last couple weeks ive lost about 17lbs again.

I can lose weight and I can gain weight, but what I cant do is stay at a stable weight.

Im diabetic type 2, my weight and my blood sugars are clearly linked as when my weight goes up my bloods go out of control. Its a bit more complicated than that I know, but thats it in a nutshell. Point is I have health issues clearly related to my weight.

I can lose this weight again, I know it will happen due to an evil diabetic drug im currently on, that was responsible for my weight loss last time. I was on it for a year before. I lose weight on it because I feel so dreadfully ill all the time. Its no way to live.

When I lost all that weight before I was scared it would go back on again, but it did. Failure and poor excuses this way please.

It crossed my mind then back in 2010/11 that if I had gastric band sugery it would stop me regaining the weight, but i didnt think i would stand a lot of chance of getting it at 10st and size 10/12 though!

So here I am at the start of another ride on the nausea train. I started this drug again 2 weeks ago today and im 17lbs down, thats how ill it makes me feel.

Im in a fortunate position of having a little bit of personal saving, so I could possibly afford a private op. Ive seen how people wait for years for funding on NHS so im not even going to bother with that route. Im 58, I dont have time to waste.

What I need is help on where to start. I can google gastric band and come up with 100's of results for clinics. I have no idea where to start looking.

Im hoping that coming here will start to point me in the right direction. I think I probably need to have a consultation fairly soon if nothing else.

Surgery is a drastic option I know, but its not just about my weight issues, this would keep my diabetes under control too without having to resort to the horrible effects of the kind of medication im currently on. I cant live like this.

Hi I am the same, loose it big and then put it on big! I have just had a bypass in Feb. the main thing for me is i can't have a blowout if things are not going right, and this is good. My blow outs on food could last months! And this is why I have yo yo dieted. I have tried and failed to diet on my own, even stuck to lighter life and lost 6 stone, to then put on 7! I need this aid to get healthy. No other options would work, I have done them all!

It crossed my mind then back in 2010/11 that if I had gastric band sugery it would stop me regaining the weight, but i didnt think i would stand a lot of chance of getting it at 10st and size 10/12 though!

Im in a fortunate position of having a little bit of personal saving, so I could possibly afford a private op. Ive seen how people wait for years for funding on NHS so im not even going to bother with that route. Im 58, I dont have time to waste.

What I need is help on where to start. I can google gastric band and come up with 100's of results for clinics. I have no idea where to start looking.

Im hoping that coming here will start to point me in the right direction. I think I probably need to have a consultation fairly soon if nothing else.

Lynna - Welcome :)

I had a gastric band fitted in August of last year via Healthier Weight - for me it has been the best decision although it was one that took me 7 years to go through with!

HW have been wonderful, their pre, during and post op support has been great, lots of support and help, I also have 3 years of cover for any issues or problems as insurance. I phoned them, had a consultation after 2 weeks and less than 4 weeks later was having my surgery . . .I cannot recommend them enough Gastric Band, Obesity Surgery, Weight Loss Clinic - Healthier Weight - not the cheapest, but they've been great. I needed someone with a zero % mortality rate and they were one of the only people/surgeons to be able to offer me that!

One thing I will say tho, is the band isn't easy. It is a tool to help you lose weight, but you really do need to be able to watch what you eat . . .for 6 months I had no restriction with my band and could eat any food, in any amount, and it is only my choosing not to eat things, strictly controlling what I do eat which has enabled me to lose the weight. What I would say is that, having a band will not just stop you gaining weight, you really have to work with it and at it to get the weight loss and to achieve . . .its something that will certainly be affected by your own eating habits.

:)

Back