• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

oh god where to begin :S revision surgery derbyshire help needed please

becky88

hi guys
urm well first timer on here :wave_cry:. I will begin at the beginning :rolleyes: I'm Becky 25 year old single mum to my 4 year old son Jacob. In 2011 I has private gastric band surgery with the hospital group. The short story is I lost 5 stone then a year or so after got a tight fill, had complications. The NHS provide my aftercare since that time its been fil defil fil defil, and im now 20 stones :(. I have been unable to loose weight or find the right restriction for me, as soon as I have even the smallest fill I choke on everything and have acid. If I have a tiny bit out I can eat loads and don't have the willpower to stop with feeling hungry all the time. Originally it worked amazing, I lost so much weight now its another story.

After much consideration I want to persue a sleeve/bypass but for the life of me I don't know where to start! The NHS originally wouldn't fund the band hence private, but there is no way I could do this now. Im so young I feel like im robbing my and my sons life, its so selfish but I need the help, im looking on the NHS guidelines stating 45 with comorbidities, 50 without. Im 20 stone making me 43.5 bmi, wondering if at 20 stone im even fat enough. I know I should start with the GP, but with me already having a bariatric surgery I don't know how the process should work for me. Do I get them to refer to the surgeon, or the ccg??? urgh I feel at a loss, sorry for the rant just ufff. So disappointed in myself, sick to the bone of band complications endoscopies etc etc. Feeling highly doubtfull of surgery on the NHS. Any help would be appreciated

thankyou guys xxxx:wave_cry:

Blondie43

Hi Becky, my advice would be what have you got to lose by trying. Go to your GP and see what they say, be as honest as you have been in your post and I'm sure they'll be understanding!

Aud xx

becky88

thanks blondie ive asked for a call back from my gp :S and going to discuss the situation with him and see what he comes up with. I know all to well that getting a good GP is half the battle! x

becky88

ooo some good news! spoke to a male gp at the practice over the phone, he listened to what I had to say about my band complications, pain, acid, weight gain endoscopies etc. He then said because i'm already a NHS patient with the bariatric unit, he would refer me to Mr Ahmed the surgeon at Derby Hospital. Unfortunatly he has gone for a years leave but he said he will send it to Mr Leeder instead :D. This is brilliant news however....... he said it is then up the the surgeon and the bariatric team if they want to persue funding for another surgery, and then its up to another load of people to grant it :eek:.

So mixed feelings I know for sure that this is a step in the right direction, and im glad ive taken in. But I cant help my apprehension about the BMI guidelines for Derbyshire CCG, 45 comorbs 50 without. I meet neither as im currently 43.5 bmi. I do have diabetes in the family, and I suffer with horrendous knee and hip joint pain. In my heart tho I doubt this will be enough :cry: as ive known people to be turned down for being 0.5 of a bmi score!!

Well whatever happens at least I rung the GP and fortunately had a good one :eek:

Kar8858

Hi becky and welcome, sorry to hear about the issues you have had. Good luck with your referral, and remember if you dont ask you dont get! All the best...

becky88

thanks guys, im going to ring back the doctors tomorrow and ask about a sleep apnoea test I completely forgot about it with the funding thing. Ive suspected having it for years even when I was much much thinner, ive always snored loud. Also had several reports from partners that I stop breathing only to begin snoring again after a choke sound, ive suffered with chronic fatigue for many years. Which resorted in me taking antidepressants which rocketed my energy level i/e citalopram just to keep awake! Maybe maybe not, but I think it would sure help to run these few tests including a blood for diabetes :)

becky88

:confused: hmmmm good question, its certainly a factor to be taken into consideration when they look at funding it. I wouldn't want to apply too much pressure from the acid side as they may just remove the band, and not consider the other surgery. Im going to ring the gp tomorrow and ask for a sleep apnoea test as Ive believed I have suffered with this fo a long time, but as I went private tests like this weren't done. A simple blood test for diabetes would also be good. I haven't had my health examined in a while, maybe i'm a clean slate but if not it could also go a long way for funding. Thanks ever so much for all the support everyone you've all been so welcoming I really do appreciate it :eek:

becky88

yes that's a possibility, but I wouldn't want to push it from the acid side or they may just remove it. I guess we shall have to see a run of checks from my gp like bloods for diabetes and sleep apnea test could prove helpful as ive suspected apnea for a long time, and diabetes runs in the family. However private surgery didn't require these tests so maybe that's also worth a shot. x

becky88

hi guys just a quick line :) my gp sent a letter to Dr Leeder at Derby hospital, explaining that I privately had a band and despite the initial 5 stone loss im now over 20 stones, and would like to discuss available options. Fingers crossed I here soon but nothing yet so I rang his secretary and left a message enquiring if they had revieved it since its been 2 weeks. Also im of the the gp tomorrow with my sleep apnoea partner questionnaire and hopefully I can also go ahead with a sleep test. So im very nervous I finally told my family of my choice to have another surgery if I can, ive done so much research on the sleeveVbypass and would really like to discuss this with a surgeon. Hopefully I may be eligible. I know the criteria is 45bmi currently im 43.5 :( but I just don't know. We shall have to see but its a push in the right direction :)

emma-louise

my new life!!
hi guys just a quick line :) my gp sent a letter to Dr Leeder at Derby hospital, explaining that I privately had a band and despite the initial 5 stone loss im now over 20 stones, and would like to discuss available options. Fingers crossed I here soon but nothing yet so I rang his secretary and left a message enquiring if they had revieved it since its been 2 weeks. Also im of the the gp tomorrow with my sleep apnoea partner questionnaire and hopefully I can also go ahead with a sleep test. So im very nervous I finally told my family of my choice to have another surgery if I can, ive done so much research on the sleeveVbypass and would really like to discuss this with a surgeon. Hopefully I may be eligible. I know the criteria is 45bmi currently im 43.5 :( but I just don't know. We shall have to see but its a push in the right direction :)

Just been reading your story,I hope you get funding...
It's sad when we are mums with young children and fear for the future,as not only are we suffering with weight related problems.
But our children suffer too...I couldn't enjoy anything with my 2 young girls,and I could see they was sad when they wanted me to join in...
However Ive made up for it now!...I'm forever embarrassing my daughters,joining in with them on the park.
It's been 4 years nearly since I had my bypass...my life has totally changed in sooo many ways.
I won't lie it's not all easy,and at times tough...but it's one of my greatest,bravest things I've ever done..

carol.s

Good Luck xx. Its not easy to full fill all the conditions required for success but at least we can try x

Yvessa

you need your hospital to support your revision and apply for funding.

becky88

thankyou guys, yes its terrible that I now don't fit on rides, which Jacob loves. It means that he is suffering for my weight problems, and I feel like im cheating him out of a childhood, so instead I try to bring other people while I sit on the bench. I really hope to god that I have a supporting surgeon who will apply for funding for me! Ive gone to the gp today and had to phone to have a further phone consultation on 8th sep just to book a sleep apnoea test :S. I was hoping that the test would have been done before having any meeting with a surgeon, maybe it will? I rung Mr Leeders secretary today to see if she had received my gp' letter about revision. However her and mr leeder had only just returned from holiday, so im going to let it cool for a few days then try again. I guess the next step is a consultation with a surgeon? hopefully the sleep ap test will be complete before. Thankyou for being so supportive, im serioulsly considering a bypass but am concerned about the postcode lottery b12 injections. Can anyone help with this?

Mazza

Administrator
Staff member
I think as the hospital have already seen you, they know about your history with the band it should be fairly straightforward.

The rules have all changed re funding so you never know.

Wishing you all the best xx

becky88

thanks mazza, I got in touch with south Derbyshire people, who gave me the criteria of 45 with comorbs 50 without. Im about 43.5 I think :S fingers crossed! nothing yet x

Missymo

Oh my!!! Your story mirrors mine except that I'm 46 lol I had a band in 2008 privately funded lost 5 1/2 stone, then complications exactly like yours, fast forward I'm now back to my pre op weight with a bmi of 46 visited my doc yesterday to ask to be referred to the weigh ahead programme(a friend went down this route and lost 11 stone in a year after sleeve surgery) to be told this is no longer available and has referred me to the Family wellbeing partnership.she doesn't know what this involves and if there is surgery available at the the end of it.I'm devastated,I don't know whether to feel happy that I've been referred somewhere anyway or sad that it's not the place I expected. I have no quality of life, I have 4 young children and like you its my hubby that plays with the children if we go out. I guess it's a case of waiting to see what the new people say, I've got blood tests in 2 weeks and I have to touch Base with the doc in October to see how far I've got.I fulfill the criteria for NHS funding but I guess it depends on if the pct has any money left.

I hope your journey is speedy and smooth and we get the lives back that we both deserve xxxxx