• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

and finally the last resort "SURGERY"

salnsuz

i have just got a new laptop and i have just joined my first forum this one !!
i wasnt sure how to even post a note on it so i am hoping that i am writing in the right place any way here goes !

i have been on every diet imaginable !
since i was at school my whole life has been a constant battle with the bulge
my weight has yoyo ed for years
i discovered lighter life just before my 40 th birthday and was over the moon when i lost 8 stone and actaully didnt have to go into evans to buy clothes i felt great
that christmas i decided to leave the diet and eat normally then go back on the diet in the new year
but i bumped into my counsellor in sainsburys ! there i was caught red handed with a trolley of christmas goodies
you know the trolley full of stuff you dream about when you are in ketosis
along with the enough booze to fuel a rocket to mars !! i was so embarrased i felt like a rabbit caught in the headlights
then she said the worst thing she could ever have said "it is impossible to get back on the diet once you come off"
which messed with my head and completely deflated my determination
so for the last five years i have been saying that i will get back on the diet
however i have had a lot of emotional stress lost some close friends the same age as me had serious health issues with my spine and suddenly i realized nothing fits me i have nothing to wear ,i havent been out of the house for a month ,my bed is in the lounge,i look like a pumped up cave woman
i woke up and thought its time to get help my friends were getting desparately worried about me seeing me heading for a heart attack at ever increasing speed
even my ex partner came round and begged me to do something about my weight
its not that i am unhappy the one and only thing that gets me down is my immobility and the frustration of not being able to do everyday normal things
even essential things are a struggle like using the loo (i mean when did my arms shrink )having a shower/bath(and when did my feet get further away from my head?im still the same height !!??)
so what to do ?
well i went to my doctor who had retired i hate going to the doctors especially when im ill anyhoo i told the doc that one of my friends a nurse at the royal marsden had heard that there was a good biariatric clinic up the road at the chelsea hosp so i was reffered
my appointment is next friday and i have another apt to see a head doctor (cant spell psychyaiatrist) in january
although i am opting for surgery it worries me that i am too fat for an operation so i have decided to take the bull by the horns and start cambridge/lighter life on monday i have at least 8 weeks supply
has anyone else done the diet before surgery ?
i should be about 10 and a half 11 stone for my height i am currently 25 stone
although i would be happy to be under 12
and keep it there
has anyone had the surgery and 3 or fours years down the line had the band removed once the habit of overeating had been well and truly put to bed and managed to maintain goal weight?
i gave up smoking 6 years ago and that was something i did once and started again this time i had resolve to not let it conquer me again
i am appling that mind set to attacking the fat cells that have been having a free ride in my body now for too long
its time to kick them out and set me free from the chains of gravity and be crossed off of the chubby chasers A list
writing this down and sharing it has already lifted my spirits
from now on in its positive thinking and lets see if i can get do one week of ll/cam
i cant think further than a week its too scary

welcome and good luck. Great post, thanks for sharing as I can relate.

Ouch! losing 8 stone then regaining! I did that also. Bless. You will do well! I am sure of it.

Hi & :welcome:

Great post. I too can totally relate. I've recently been to see my GP and am awaiting a decision on PCT funding. Have no idea when this will be. I'm doing Cambridge in the interim but don't plan on losing too much weight until my wls funding is approved and I'm all set for a bypass. Two weeks ago my BMI was 56.2 and I want to bring it down to 50. In a peverse way, I think it's to my advantage to keep it at 50 at least until I navigate the initial funding hurdles. I've lost weight on other diets (best results with CD) but have consistently failed to maintain it. I bought 7 weeks supply of CD on a special offer of £18 for a box of 21 from my CDC (normal price is £38). Great value except it's all the same flavour. I'm loving it so far.

You've posted at a quiet time otherwise there would have been a flood of warm welcomes. I suspect several members of this section of the board are meeting today in Manchester somewhere.

I look forward to reading more of your posts and experiences of wls.
xxx

welcome and good luck for your journey. i joined only a week ago, i saw my doc on wednesday and he is going to refer me, so lets hope the recession doesnt hit the pct just yet.. i too have lost weight on diets, the most i ever lost in one go 4 stone . but i have lost about 30 stone plus over the years. unfortunately the whole lot jumped back on when i wasnt looking or paying attention. i feel that the band would help so much, but isnt it wonderful when you feel so positive about it all. i too want to lose weight now in case i get the go ahead, but worry that if i do well on diet, docs would say i could go it alone.. i can lose weight just cant keep it off. every winner of a race has to take a first step, so hopefully we can jog along together.. Bridie

wish i was 6feet tall it would sure help my bmi
if was 10 feet tall it would be ok but id have to walk with a stoop

hello bridie
jog? i will look forwards to being able to do that again !
still we have taken our first small steps
we will be like ewan and charlie on the long way round!
have you seen the skit on it on you tube called the wrong way round?
its hilarious
i dare say we will be able to help eachother out when our metaphorical wheels get stuck in the mud!!

thank you charlie i am sure gonna need a lot of encouragement this time as i ve got so much further to go
but i am determined that its staying off this time
no lapsing old habits have got to go for good
no more oh i will just have one hob nob then finding the packet empty
what triggers it why do we do it ?
we know its bad for us
i lay awake some nights and say to my self
if you dont stop this youre gonna die so why are you still doing it
its only day two and already i am struggling
i just have to keep thinking one day at a time
they weighed me at the hospital will they weigh me again next friday?
ive been thinking about my goal weight should i actually go for what i should be ?which i think is 10 stone 11 lbs
the last time i weighed that was just after my dad died when i was 19 years old which was 26 years ago christmas day

Hey there and welcome iv just started on my path to loose weight but can relate to you very much. good luck with everything and keep posting on here they are so nice and will give you as much info as you need.

wel done you have done well to lose your first few pounds they are always the hardest that makes you a winner in the losing stakes already
ps how do i get back in to my profile for editing
=( it wont let me in ?

Hi, welcome to minis. I too have been on every diet under the sun and I do actually lose weight but the problem is it keeps finding me lol. I just can`t keep it off, so I was banded nearly 3 weeks ago and although weight loss is slow as I haven`t had a fill yet I`m very glad that I went through with it. With surgery do u feel u want, the band or the bypass?? Good luck with your funding process I`ll look forward to reading about how it progresses soon xx

thank you charlie i am sure gonna need a lot of encouragement this time as i ve got so much further to go
but i am determined that its staying off this time
no lapsing old habits have got to go for good
no more oh i will just have one hob nob then finding the packet empty
what triggers it why do we do it ?
we know its bad for us
i lay awake some nights and say to my self
if you dont stop this youre gonna die so why are you still doing it
its only day two and already i am struggling
i just have to keep thinking one day at a time
they weighed me at the hospital will they weigh me again next friday?
ive been thinking about my goal weight should i actually go for what i should be ?which i think is 10 stone 11 lbs
the last time i weighed that was just after my dad died when i was 19 years old which was 26 years ago christmas day

I would set your self small targets ie half a stone, looking at the bigger picture may seem like a harder job to achieve. Set targets and aim to give yourself a reward (not food) each time you reach one....no one said it would be easy but we are with you chick.....xx

i dont know anything about funding?
my gp just refered me straight to the hospital
or will ifind out about this next friday?
i saw the surgeon on oct 3rd?
i am being seen by other doctors on friday
one for breathing one for nutrition i am not quite sure what the third appointment is for i couldnt understand the secretarys accent still i will find out soon enough

Welcome to minis. Thank you for sharing all o that wth us. It was a great read and i think most of us can relate in some way.

Good luck with your journey.

Hi Sally,

Welcome to mini's :) You'll find lots of help and support here.

Shel

Back