• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Low blood sugar levels 2.9

simplylucy

I regulary feel very shaking in the in evenings. My hands shake so much that I struggle to hold a coffee.

This evening it's happened again. We have a blood glucose monitor in the house as my husband has a lot of diabetes in his family, he tests his now and again just in case!

Well I thought I'd check my blood sugars and the reading is 2.9. No wonder I'm trembling.

I obviously can't eat sugar to pick the level up so what do I do?

Fruit juice ???? or fresh fruit.

Are you eating enough in general? Something with more of a slow release effect would be better than a quick sugar hit. A banana would be good.
Check it out with your doc though. It's best to be on the safe side.

I've found this interesting as this has been happening to me more and more. I don't know how to stop it happening so am interested to read your posts

Sent from my iPhone using WLSurgery

Isn't that funny..I've had to come bed early,as I'm currently got the shakes, 2/3 times it's happened in a month where I'm shaking...it sometimes can take a while for it to stop.
Do you get lightheaded with Lucy?

hi all ive been sufering with this for a little while now so thought id better go to the drs she gave me dextrose on prescription also told me to make sure that i have proper coke in the house as this a quick sugar fix !!!! I gotta say when this comes on i feel absolutely crap & it can last upto a couple of hours .... i suffer with the lightheadedness aswell xx

yummymummytobe said:
hi all ive been sufering with this for a little while now so thought id better go to the drs she gave me dextrose on prescription also told me to make sure that i have proper coke in the house as this a quick sugar fix !!!! I gotta say when this comes on i feel absolutely crap & it can last upto a couple of hours .... i suffer with the lightheadedness aswell xx

Coke? Are you able to drink this with having a bypass?
I find fizzy things hurt..

I'm in bed now!

Tried to eat a yogurt but it came back up. I was too shaky!

My problem is that this was happening every now and again but it's got more and more often. This is the 3rd night in a row I've had to come to bed and I've vomited.

I shake, feel sick, light headed and flushed. I also feel weak, had to crawl upstairs (2 flights!) it's not dumping because I've honestly not eating anything sugary/fatty/high in carbs.

It has made me panic tonight as it's the first time I've actually checked my blood sugar levels.

When in hospital last month with appendicitis there was a major panic on the the ward when my blood sugars were routinely checked and were 2.8. I was given fruit juice which made no difference then given 2 bags of glucose fluid IV.

Tonight my levels were 2.9, only 0.1 up from the hospital panic.

Should I be very concerned?

I do sometimes feel like I'm going to feint. I really think I ought to see my GP.

Sorry, it's not like me to panic, now I've rambled again! :eek:

simplylucy said:
I'm in bed now!

Tried to eat a yogurt but it came back up. I was too shaky!

My problem is that this was happening every now and again but it's got more and more often. This is the 3rd night in a row I've had to come to bed and I've vomited.

I shake, feel sick, light headed and flushed. I also feel weak, had to crawl upstairs (2 flights!) it's not dumping because I've honestly not eating anything sugary/fatty/high in carbs.

It has made me panic tonight as it's the first time I've actually checked my blood sugar levels.

When in hospital last month with appendicitis there was a major panic on the the ward when my blood sugars were routinely checked and were 2.8. I was given fruit juice which made no difference then given 2 bags of glucose fluid IV.

Tonight my levels were 2.9, only 0.1 up from the hospital panic.

Should I be very concerned?

I do sometimes feel like I'm going to feint. I really think I ought to see my GP.

Sorry, it's not like me to panic, now I've rambled again! :eek:

You've not rambled,I'm in bed too due to it.
It started me being shaky,heart beating ten to dozen and I get cold and hot!
My hands shake like hell...
I know for certain too it's not dumping as I haven't ate anything when they come on.
I've just been putting up with it

Hi! I have type 1 diabetes and a hypo is considered to be a blood sugar less than 3.5. I have been advised to take fresh fruit juice - or 3.5 jelly babies! Not sure if you will be able to manage them, but even milk would help raise your level. I had a 2.4 last might do know how you feel. X

I get major hypos now going from very high blood sugar pre RNY surgery to 2.9 post surgery. Ive discussed this with my dietician and she said they were noticing this side effect with wls. She advised me to not leave it more than 3 hours between eating and to have slow release carbs and fruit when i get a hypo. This seems to work and i have watered down fresh orange when i get the shakes. The danger of treating this with high sugar food is your blood sugar raises and then crashes and you are then back to square 1 a few hours later, so i wouldnt advise coke or glucose tablets. Yoghurt is a good choice if you arent sensitive to the sugars

id give nhs direct a call, the number is 0845 46 47
good luck sweet xxx

you need to visit your gp to see if you have diabetis... im type two diabetic and i get shakey when it now and then goes below 4.. so no wonder you have the shake... bananas are good when your sugar is low... but i still think you need to visit your GP x

When this happens to me I drink milk its suprising how quick it gets into your system. I found out about it on a first aid course and it works everytime xx

I've been diagnosed with reactive hypoglycaemia as a post op complication. This causes completely random blood sugar drops. I wasn't diabetic or anything pre-op.

Mine is treated in the first instance with either dextrose tablets or glucogel (on prescription), followed by a complex carb based snack to prevent spikes and falls immediately after.

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

I've been diagnosed with reactive hypoglycaemia as a post op complication. This causes completely random blood sugar drops. I wasn't diabetic or anything pre-op.

Mine is treated in the first instance with either dextrose tablets or glucogel (on prescription), followed by a complex carb based snack to prevent spikes and falls immediately after.

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

Another thing it seems we have in common!

Does the dextrose or glucogel not make you dump?

I'm really scared that I'll make myself feel worse.

This morning my sugar levels were 2.4

I'm just waiting for my GP to ring me back this morning.

I'm due to return to work tomorrow after being off since 21st of November when I went down with appendicitis. But quite frankly how I feel today and how much my hands are shaking that isn't going to happen!

Hun i think you need to have a few more days of work until you get your glucose sorted otherwise you will be so exhausted xx The dextrose seems to help a lot of people as this has come up in other threads.. so you may be given that too... i cant see it making you dump as its to help get your sgar to a normal level not a higher level xx

GP isn't concerned!

He wants to see me next Friday anyhow to photograph my 'apron' for the funding panel.

Well then I started shaking, more worried about that now than blood sugars!

I've made an appointment with my dietitian for 18th January. I'll see what she says about the blood sugars. I'll just have to put up with feeling crappy for now and hope I don't pass out at an in convienant moment!

Back